Asp.Net website problem

listing directory is the home page

Page 1 of 1

10 Replies - 1112 Views - Last Post: 11 October 2010 - 09:51 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Asp.Net website problem

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:36 AM

Hi guys,
I'm beginning at Asp.Net, I created a website, it is possible for users to log on, there is a database, and the whole thing is part of a bigger windows application which is install on a server. The web site is the link between that's app and the end users. Beside there is a web service on the webside I thougth it would be better for my user to interact with the web service since most of them will log on the website from ther mobile phone. The problem here is, when I run the whole thing, the first page that's appear on the web server is the listing directory. I want the log on page to appear first, I want that listing directory to disapear. What should I do? I am sure it is a basic problem, easy to solve, but I don't have a clue, can some one help me?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Asp.Net website problem

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Asp.Net website problem

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:45 AM

In the Solution Explorer in Visual Studio, right click on the Login page and select 'Set as Start Page'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:45 AM

When you're finished developing the website you're going to publish it and move the files created by the publish to the web server.

On the web server, you will have to specify the Default page for your website using the IIS manager.

-Frinny
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the correction Frinavale. I assumed the issue was when running the project, not after it was deployed.

@IRodMan:

Open IIS, right click on the website and select Properties. Select the Documents tab.

1. Make sure 'Enable Default Document' is selected.
2. Click the Add button
3. Type in the Login page and extension (ie. Login.aspx)
4. Click OK
5 Move it to the top of the list

If you are using IIS 7, then read the following link.

http://technet.micro...28WS.10%29.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:26 AM

Thanks guys, it really helps, do you have any idea about how I can use web service in a more efficient way? Because, right now, I added a web service to my website, because people are going to use many different platform to log on the website, such as cell phone. I thought since some won't use the Windows platform, and I have my application running on the background, the best thing would be to use a web service (and Microsoft Web Service Enhacement is quite popular), the problem is, that the webservice is not as easy to customise as a normal web page. I want people to interact withe my application on the server, but I have a heck of a problem to find controls such as check boxes, text boxes, etc... For my web service. Is there something that I am doing wrong? Do you have any good advice for me about this application?
PS: The all project is a betting project on internet. The application that runs into the background, provide to the customers infos about the race, connect the customers to the data base and when they have bet, the application send them an electronic receit on their cell phone in the form of an sms. So please if you have a better idea about how I could make it work let me know.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:56 AM

Please can some one help me?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

Web services do not have access to controls like a typical web form. They are purely an interface used to exchange data via HTTP protocals.

Web Services

Web Services Enhancements add-on is used to build secure web services based on the industry security specifications.

If users need to interact with your website, then stick with web forms or MVC.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:53 AM

Thanks, but what do you mean by MVC (Sorry I know I am a noob)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:55 AM

ASP.NET MVC
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:01 AM

View PostJayman, on 07 October 2010 - 01:55 PM, said:

Ok thanks I see now. But now I have another problem, I am creating a Asp.net website, and since my website will be mostly for mobile phones, I wanted to create it by using mobile forms on Asp. I use visual studio 2008 and I checked my tool box and no trace of mobile forms. I right clicked on the open tool box, I chose add items(or something like that) after few seconds, the additems window opens, I checked evrything an no trace of the mobile form. I used on the codes page "using System.web.UI.Mobile" but still, no trace of the mobile form. Since I have Microsoft C# MCTS web developpers book, I use their CD with the codes and all, but when I open their code for the mobile web app, on the form, wher their mobile web app designer should be, there is a blank form, with an error message talking about compatibility problems. I don't know what to do, I am more use to C# apps and now I am at the lost with Asp.net. Where can I find the mobile form for Asp.net Website? Do some one knows the solution to this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

See the following links.

Mobile Web Development with ASP.NET
Creating ASP.NET Mobile Web Pages
Was This Post Helpful? 1