• (2 Pages)
  • +

28 Replies - 1898 Views - Last Post: 25 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Work Required for A Major

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

How much work does 1 major require? Is a double major really stressful?

I am planning on doing a triple major (crazy?) in CS,Applied Physics,and Biomedical Enginerring. My adviser says that it is possible to triple major, and I have around 60 AP credit hours so I should start midway through Sophomore year in college, course-wise.

Would a triple major be overkill? I really love programming and physics; doing BME b/c it appeals more as an everyday job and the college sends 100% to Med School if so desired.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Work Required for A Major

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Work Required for A Major

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:41 AM

I think a triple major would be a little much. At my university you need 120 credit hours for a Bachelors degree. For a regular, non-honours degree, 60 of those 120 have to be in your major. A double-major requires 135 with requirements set by that faculty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:12 AM

To be brutally honest, it's pointless. You can learn all of the things that interest you faster by not taking classes and a triple major degree is more for rubbing a person's ego than for practical use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:42 AM

Unfortunately though, in our elitist society, we have to have a piece of paper that says we stuck around and finish college.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:27 AM

I agree that a triple major is a little much. If you want to go to med school, perhaps the BME degree is the better option. Maybe dual major in CS or Physics, and minor in the other as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:43 AM

Yah, if you are majoring in Computer Science, you would most likely end up building software, some of which may be used in scientific labs for things like engineering. So even if you don't major in say, Biomedical Engineering, you can still do it if you enjoy it. Another option is to be a Computational Engineer. They work with the normal engineers to provide software and do major calculation that are tedious by hand.

What I'm saying is, with a degree in Computing, your doors ARE wide open and you don't necessarily need 3 degrees. Maybe even a single major in CS and and a minor in a science of your choosing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

My BS in Computer Engineering requires 180 credits. I have about 75 and I'm on my third year. Unless you're planning on staying for 10 years before you graduate, don't do it. I decided to possibly drop my CS double major for now, at least until I pick my GPA back up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:35 AM

180 hours? That's a degree and a half at my school!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:39 AM

That's engineering baby.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

Even the engineering degrees at my school are made to be completed in 5 1/2 years, and thats with SIX co-op semesters!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

Yea, that's how long it's gonna take me. They try to force you out in 4 years here, so on the plan they hand to freshmeats its like 18 credit hour quarters. Lol no, I'm gonna stick with my 12-16.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

I'd have to say that 3 degrees are overkill, and as said before by nooblet - if you're really that interested in the topics you'll probably be able to learn things a lot faster self-study than through a degree program. Also, are you planning on getting a master's degree? If so, I think the master's will overshadow any number of bachelor's degrees you have - and I wouldn't be surprised if a potential employer might wonder, "Why the heck does he have 3 degrees?"

View PostNeoTifa, on 06 October 2010 - 08:33 AM, said:

My BS in Computer Engineering requires 180 credits. I have about 75 and I'm on my third year. Unless you're planning on staying for 10 years before you graduate, don't do it. I decided to possibly drop my CS double major for now, at least until I pick my GPA back up.

That's 180 quarter hours though, correct? When I was in Ohio I remember my degree program being around 180 quarter hours, but a pretty close equivalent is now 125 hours at a semester school.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

I have to say that I agree with what has been said here: that three majors are overkill. However I do know that it is possible in about 6 years, as my department has one. he is a triple major of math, physics and Chemistry (we call him Switzerland because of this) and he pulls it off. Of course, we all think he's crazy to do so. If you do want more than one major, I'd personally go for two that are closely related so you have less to learn. And just for information, physics is hard, but the logic is very much the same as computer science.

Honestly I would suggest going for one major, and as you get into the upper level classes of said major, having taken a few and understanding the course load better, consider it again. Just my opinion though. Hope this helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

Yes quarters. We're switching to semesters though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

View PostJambr, on 06 October 2010 - 01:42 AM, said:

Unfortunately though, in our elitist society, we have to have a piece of paper that says we stuck around and finish college.

Even if I could agree with that statement, I can't agree that a triple major is a smart move. Two totally different arguments.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +