Were to start,

Just looking for guidance

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 527 Views - Last Post: 05 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Were to start,

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:03 PM

I am currently what I would consider a semi mid level programer. I currently know a decent bit of C++, and very little of C# but my skills are mainly focused on game development. I am intristed in starrting web development. Just to give an idea of what I am tring to do, next year I plan on going to the video game developers conferance in CA and would like a personal website. I would also like to help build a new site for my game club in college. It is basicly going to be a forum site.

Any tips when to start?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Were to start,

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Were to start,

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:20 PM

Server Side web languages are required for any decent web game, in order to utilize database operations, login/user accounts, & other processing items, are going to be generally governed by which Operating System you are running.

Windows Servers generally run IIS for the webserver & therefor work well with ASP for the language & MSSQL for the database.
Linux/Unix Server generally run Apache for the webserver & work well with PHP for the language & MySql for the database.

However, you can run Apache, PHP, & MySql on Microsoft Servers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Were to start,

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

I would honestly just buy hosting from somewhere like hostmonster and use the script auto-installer in their control panel to generate a forum. No sense in reinventing the wheel and attempting to make a server without experience can lead to some rather nasty hacker problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1