4 Replies - 903 Views - Last Post: 06 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What can I achieve in 3 months?

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:51 AM

Hey Webdevs,

I am just in the beginning of a big project, it's about designing and customizing an already funcional CMS to my needs. The CMS itself already contains all the features I need, it's basically just about designing a complete Web 2.0 look and implement it in the CMS.

I also want to note that I have experience in designing but not in the implementing part. Additionally, I have a full time job and attend an evening school, which means that I will only work on the project at weekends.

Do you think that 3 months are a realistic time frame? If not, what time frame would you estimate from the learning process to the full implementation?

Greetz

This post has been edited by Adem67: 06 October 2010 - 02:15 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What can I achieve in 3 months?

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What can I achieve in 3 months?

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:49 AM

I don't think that we could give you an accurate prediction without knowing more details, such as your skill level. However, 3 months may not be enough time, depending on how detailed you will be. And your job and school should definitely come first, don't fall behind on those just so you can work on a side project.

Maybe someone will come behind me and give you a better time frame.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:48 AM

As said, it's hard to tell without knowing your skill level.

Lets say you work on the project about an average of 10 hours on the weekend. That means you would get hours in 3 months. If you would consider yourself as intermediate at web design then 120 hours for one design is plenty. If you plan out your design correct it wouldn't take you that long. As a design usually isn't perfect the first time, its good to create a mock up in photoshop (Or any other image editor). This way before you start you actual website, you can see exactly how its going to look and what the final outcome will be. Planning can cut off a lot of extra work.

You mentioned that you are going to incorporate this design in a CMS of some sort. What CMS are you using? Or is it a private cms. Depending on the cms, you would implement it differently. As Joomla is pretty easy to implement designs, it might not be the same as the cms you chose.

Hope this Helps,
-Daniel
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

Hi Jambr and Danny,

it is hard to tell what skill I am since I have no comparison or reference where I can measure myself. However, I'd consider myself as a very creative person with good taste and the ability to bring my design ideas onto a technical base.

I don't think that I'll be able to reach 10 hours each weekend since I also have to study for school etc. 3-4 hours per weekend sounds more realistic which would result in a total of 56 hours.

It is a private CMS which was developed for our needs before I have decided to lead the design part. It seems to be a pretty solid CMS tho.

Thanks
Adem
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Just don't work on it too much. It sounds like a side project and if it is then there is no reason to kill yourself over it and that will just lead to you giving up on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1