Reccomendations on an environment to code in SML

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 2616 Views - Last Post: 18 October 2010 - 05:45 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

SML Environment

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

Hey folks,

I'm taking a programming paradigms class, and we have arrived at the functional language part of the course. We are using SML/NJ, and I was wondering what the best or most recommended development environment for SML. Even if it is just notepad, I would appreciate knowing what's going on.

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: SML Environment

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: SML Environment

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:08 PM

While I am not an SML developer, I imagine that I'm safe in assuming that people probably use either Emacs or Vim for SML. I'm sure there are excellent modes (Emacs) and plugins (Vim) for it. Of course, both of these editors have a pretty large learning curve, so you'll not only be learning the language, but the editor as well. If you're not up to the challenge of learning either editor, I'm sure you could make due with a more simple (but less featureful) editor like nano or notepad++.

Of course, there are benefits to learning Emacs and Vim as well. They pay off in the long run, because then you have a single editor that you can use for all of your programming. With Emacs, you can even handle email and such as well (it's much more than just a text editor), so it's definitely something to consider.

There might be some IDEs around, but I haven't heard of them. That isn't saying much because, like I said, I'm not an SML guy.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:45 AM

I'm doing some SML in one of my classes at the moment, and I've been using one I downloaded from here: http://www.smlnj.org/
It runs fine on xp at least, and saves me having to putty over to the school server every time I have to do some work.
I just type up my guesses in notepad, then copy and paste them in to see if they work, but you can also use the "use" command ie "use filename" and as long as all your comments are inside (* *) it will load it all in.

This post has been edited by hookiethe1: 18 October 2010 - 05:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1