How to program a database application

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 1020 Views - Last Post: 09 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best way to program my program

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

Hi guys,

I am making this desktop program to control and manage my employees.

The way I want it is to have a listbox on the left with all my employees on it and when i click on one i want the their information detailed on the panel on the right.

My problem isn't about programming this stuff, but it's the way i want to do this.

I want to start with 0 employees and add them manually. After that i want to save them on the same computer (no internet database).

Now i have no experience in file IO whatsoever in programming.

The application will be run on Windows XP computers.

What is the best way to save my employee information and in what format?
Like should i store them in .XML files and parse them or is it better to have a localhost with SQL?

And in combination with which language will it perform at best?

Employees will be max 200 and i have 5 entities i want to save per employee.

Thanks in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best way to program my program

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best way to program my program

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

If the only reason you're doing this is for your own need - and not because you program for fun...
It's a lot to learn for one application and you'ld be better off buying FileMakerMy link and just building a database in it.

Beyond that... Its a matter of how much you are doing with them. Is this going to be their payroll and their work schedules and their productivity... Or is this just a contact book with name/address/phone number?

Employees will be max 200 and i have 5 entities i want to save per employee.

Sounds like an address book. Are you sure Outlook wouldn't do the job for ya?
I guess you could make an EmployeeObj and serialize it to a an XML file pretty easy. One XML file = One employee. Pretty straight forward.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

xml would work fine for storing the employee data and is fairly simple to use. I would look into Linq to XML as it makes working with XML very easy. Another choice would to be a local database if you have SQL Server on the computer that will be housing the data. You could also use MySQL or some other database. For MySQL you would need the MySQL Connector from here. Of course this is all geared towards .NET.

This post has been edited by Nakor: 08 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

Build a Program Now! in Visual C# by Microsoft Press, ISBN 0-7356-2542-5
is a terrific book that has you build a Windows Forms application, a WPF app, a database application, your own web browser.

This would jumpstart your build of this app by quite a bit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:14 PM

I'm sorry. I should've explained more for what i'm gonna use it.

I'm a scholar going into his 3rd year and I work at McDonalds (I know).

Our storemanager asked me to make a program to keep track of the capabilites (Kitchen, Counter, McDrive) the employees can do.

They want to click on an empleyee's name and see which part of McDonalds they can work at. With this information they want see how they can improve that employee's function in the company.

Knowing I am a student, the storemanager asked me if I could make such program and maybe use it for my final-assigment in my 4th year.

So basiccaly it is kinda like an adressbook indeed, but with extra information like the stations they can perform on.

I have a little bit experience in XML-parsing as I made an Android-app in which it parses web-XML feeds.

Is it hard to store all employees in one single XML-file and constantly adding new nodes?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:44 PM

Is it hard to store all employees in one single XML-file and constantly adding new nodes?

I think it will make it unwieldy to use. Its not hard, but its less practical.
Every time you make a change to one person, and a new person, delete someone who leaves you have to re-write the entire file.

If you have an employees folder, and one file per employee... Manipulating one person doesn't risk damaging your entire employee db.

Keep in mind that programs tend to grow. You build this now and its simple. Then your boss wants the ability to click on a user and see (and print) their work schedule. Then they want to be able to click on the person's photo to send them an email. Then things change from a simple bool of Kitchen: yes/no to a scale of 1-10 for their competency rating.

if you set your target for the program you want to have a year from now... and fall short by 6 months worth of capabilities... you still have a program superior to what was asked for, and you have planned ahead for still more features.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

You could use SQLite as your database. This is a "simple" embedded SQL database.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

I want to thank you all for your advice.

I really appreciate it.

I'm going to make an XML file per person as tlhIn'toq(?) suggested and I'm going to use Linq to XML to program it.

Thanks again for the quick replies.

Beware that I will be bothering you again shortly with other problems I may encounter :rolleyes:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1