14 Replies - 2142 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2010 - 12:31 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game development environment suggestions

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:07 AM

Hello,

I am making a game with about 5 other people. The game is still in the early development stages and we are now considering what environment to use. The game will be a shell game with multiple mini games. Nothing 3D. And we have about four months to make it. This is a school project. If you need more info about the project just ask. Any suggestions you can make would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game development environment suggestions

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game development environment suggestions

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:06 AM

Thats nice so what language have u selected?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

View Postsmohd, on 12 October 2010 - 01:06 AM, said:

Thats nice so what language have u selected?

Should have specified this... that is part of the question what language to use and what environment to use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

What language is the team comfortable with?

Whichever the team is most comfortable with should be the language of choice.

If you are the only programmer, then you should look into what you can use with the language you know most about.

For C++ you have SDL, Allegro, etc

C# has XNA

Check out the resources thread, as it has a massive amount of information on things you could use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:30 PM

I'd say C++, it's the industry standard, almost all commercial video games and programs are made using C++. It'll take a while before you will have enough knowledge to make a 2D game but it's well wroth it.

Hope that helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

I'd say C++, it's the industry standard, almost all commercial video games and programs are made using C++.
Indeed.

Also, those AAA games are made by established studios with highly experienced developers. Budgets are well into the millions, and they have a clear business plan for all their investment. The choice of C++ is mandated by various technical requirements that don't exist for individual developers.

But...let's ignore all of that. Minor details...
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

View PostOler1s, on 12 October 2010 - 03:43 PM, said:

I'd say C++, it's the industry standard, almost all commercial video games and programs are made using C++.
Indeed.

Also, those AAA games are made by established studios with highly experienced developers. Budgets are well into the millions, and they have a clear business plan for all their investment. The choice of C++ is mandated by various technical requirements that don't exist for individual developers.

But...let's ignore all of that. Minor details...

Not true, you can make a 2D game with SDL and it's completely free. It's better to learn a good language that could be that persons job maybe in the future.

Also didn't i already state that it would be a while before he had the knowledge (look at bold text) to make one.

I'd say C++, it's the industry standard, almost all commercial video games and programs are made using C++. It'll take a while before you will have enough knowledge to make a 2D game but it's well wroth it.

Hope that helps.

This post has been edited by Alex6788: 12 October 2010 - 03:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

You miss my point. You give your reason for choosing C++ as "that's what the industry does". But the industry works under different constraints and requirements, and different goals.

Consider Minecraft, that indie game that's become a hit. Done in Java. Arcen Games uses C#. Real developers making real money.

It does not necessarily matter "what the industry uses". It matters what you can deliver. The OP needs to deliver in something in a few months. That "must deliver" requirement is awfully important.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

View PostOler1s, on 12 October 2010 - 04:48 PM, said:

You miss my point. You give your reason for choosing C++ as "that's what the industry does". But the industry works under different constraints and requirements, and different goals.

Consider Minecraft, that indie game that's become a hit. Done in Java. Arcen Games uses C#. Real developers making real money.

It does not necessarily matter "what the industry uses". It matters what you can deliver. The OP needs to deliver in something in a few months. That "must deliver" requirement is awfully important.

What i meant by "that's what the industry does" was just a add on, i meant and that way you could turn it into a career one day.

P.S I'm not the one that gave you the -1.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

What i meant by "that's what the industry does" was just a add on, i meant and that way you could turn it into a career one day.
Sure. But I really, really, want to demolish any career or industry arguments. They don't fit with reality.

I've already outlined my counterargument against the industry point. Unless you are a studio with a business plan and technical requirements, you need to properly evaluate your requirements. Often, C++ will not be required, and other options will be more desirable.

Here's my argument against the career point. It's true that for programmers who seek game development jobs, you do want to pick up C and C++. It's unusual to run into game developers who are not familiar with the languages if not actively programming in them.

But you will never get an industry job if you don't have good engineering principles (related to software development), good approaches to acquiring knowledge (can you learn new technical material quickly?), problem solving, and proper math and computer science competence.

Therefore, for someone who wants to get into a career, it is critical to pick up on those language and API agnostic fundamentals. Therefore, one should start with languages and APIs that allow the shortest development times and demand lesser investment in learning the language.

P.S I'm not the one that gave you the -1.
I didn't assume you did.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

I forgot another one.

Flash SDK and Flex, combined with things like Flixel or FlashPunk are also great, especially for quick prototyping. A good site for it is Flash Game Dojo.

It has lots of tutorials if you don't all ready know the language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:27 PM

Would pygame be suitable for this type of project? I know alot of the programmers I will be working with know python. How hard would it be to learn? Would there be any drawbacks when compared with using c++? Thanks for all your replies, you all have been very helpful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

Python would be a good choice if the other programmers are already comfortable with it. Python was used to program Eve Online, so it's definitely a language with some AAA game credit under it's belt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 stayscrisp  Icon User is online

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:19 PM

This book is great http://www.amazon.co...87098305&sr=8-3
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

Alrighty, thank you guys very much for your replies, you are all awesome.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1