7 Replies - 1130 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Solid State Drive (SSD)

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:38 PM

I have just recently bought a Solid State Drive. It's the fastest thing I've ever seen and the best 200 bucks I've ever spent. Problem, The size of the HD is lower then the IQ of a bug and fills up very quickly. I have a 1 TB SATA drive but I'm hesitant to combine the two because I'm afraid I'll loose speed since the SATA is a down grade compared to the SSD and would only act as dead weight dragging the SSD down. Since I spent so much money on this sweet Drive I don't wanna lose the speed that comes with it. Espicially since I have an extreme computer with it. Over Clocked Dual graphics cards, The works.

My question is Will I loose speed if I put back on my SATA drive even if I make it a slave to the SSD?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Solid State Drive (SSD)

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Solid State Drive (SSD)

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:30 AM

don't raid them together, that may slow you down some.

But if they're two completely different drives, then it'll only be slow when you access partitions on the slower drive. If that's the case you should be using the 1TB drive as storage, and the SSD as the place where your OS and software drive. This way the stuff that gets accessed the most frequently benefit from the higher speeds (that being your OS and software). Where as access speed to stuff you access infrequently doesn't have to be as fast, so you put it on the 1TB
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

Can you use the Sata Drive as a NAS? Compress & dump your SSD image daily, or something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

I haven't tried turning my Sata Drive into a NAS, but my main problem now is that I cannot run any of my programs in my Solid State Drive. There is just not enough room. So I tried to keep the two drives separate. My Solid State Drive is running my OS which takes up nearly all the space and my TB drive that would hold my programs. Unfortunately the Hard Drive doesn't work together with the Solid State Drive, Every time I run a program it creates new save files and imports folders to run on the Solid state drive instead of using the files that are in my 1 TB hard Drive. Why does this happen? Is there a way to solve it so that I can keep the speed of the Solid State Drive and the Storage of the Hard Drive?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

If you're OS is taking up all the space on your SSD then it's just a small SSD. It can be remedied by buying a bigger SSD.

Is there a way to solve it so that I can keep the speed of the Solid State Drive and the Storage of the Hard Drive?

no. speed and storage are the tradeoffs. you either get one or the other, not both.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:52 AM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 14 October 2010 - 10:29 AM, said:

If you're OS is taking up all the space on your SSD then it's just a small SSD. It can be remedied by buying a bigger SSD.

Is there a way to solve it so that I can keep the speed of the Solid State Drive and the Storage of the Hard Drive?

no. speed and storage are the tradeoffs. you either get one or the other, not both.

Your missing a variable to that one.

cost/money

You can get speed and storage space... but the cost goes up a shit ton.

half TB starting at $1400 and rocketing upward:

http://www.newegg.co...Id=1&name=512GB

And here's a 1TB at a nice $4400

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227517

Yeah most of them are on a pci-e interface instead though... it's the way the boards designed, a sata controller wouldn't be able to support it.

But look at those specs... 512meg cache! 950 MB/s reads! I mean that's access speeds that match RAM access of the pentium 1 -> 3!

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 15 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:50 PM

The PCI-E ones are pretty ridiculous for consumer grade applications. Sata III operates at 6 Gbit/s which is ~768 MB/s with actual transfer rates around 600 MB/s. Plenty fast.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pugnacious Penguin (inspired by no2pencil)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

I'd just get a 64GB Solid State for Windows (Corsar C300 or something alike), a 300GB Drive with something like 10K RPM and really fast read/write speeds, and a 1TB WD Caviar which can read/write at over 100MB/sec, and considering that it's only at 7200 rpm and around 70 is absolutely bloody brilliant!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1