Kudos to you and you.... but not to you!

From the mind of Shado

• (2 Pages)
  • +

29 Replies - 1996 Views - Last Post: 07 November 2010 - 11:45 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Kudos to you and you.... but not to you!

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:59 PM

I find DIC to be a source of immense knowledge and a place to get the opinions of (I hope) like minded people and when I get stuck or start doubting my thought process I pop a post on here and wait in anticipation for someone to unlock the block I have with their thoughts.

But like all communities there are struggles going on deep with in the bowls of the individual. Now don't get me wrong, I am in no way grouping everyone together in the same camp and this is not an attack on anyone but rather my observation into the human mind or should I rather say the un-human mind.

Recently I post a number of questions and those that answered (I wont mention names) helped me immensely yet I was sadden to discover that one of the people that took their time to answer my post received... wait for it... -1 reputation. Well I was shocked considering I found the reply to be most useful, for one thing the poster did not just give me a code snippet and sent me on my way but opened my mind and enabled me to start the process of figuring it out for myself. Which is all I ever ask for, I'm a creature of learning and there is no benefit to me in receiving the "fish" now give me a "fishing rod" and you enrich my life for the better.

Well after this discovery I sat back and thought about what has just been done to my "hero of the day" and decided to investigate a little deeper and noted the following.

1) A person who doesn't reply to a post is able to shoot down someone else that has taken the time to help another without needing to state why they find it necessary to award this negative mark.

2) That a person can systematically trawl the site for post from one particular user and vote down all their posts in one day regardless whether they are useful to anyone else.

Well I'm sure that we can all agree that a reputation system is of no consequence, as adults we don't need a scoring system to tell us we are awesome yet it saddens me to find that even on an "InTelligent" forum there are people that will use the system to fuel their own petty agendas. I must admit that I chuckled when I realised that what they are doing can so easily be turned around on them and believe me I was tempted but alas I am obviously the mature one so I will walk away post my post and enjoy the opinions of other like minded users.

PS: I for one would like to see the reputation system get an overhaul - so that users have to state why they using it, be it for a vote up or down. And maybe limiting it to users that have contributed to the actual thread. If for no other reason but to give people an in site into what they are doing right or wrong.

Time for some coffee with a side of code ;)

This post has been edited by Shado3225: 15 October 2010 - 12:03 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Kudos to you and you.... but not to you!

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Re: Kudos to you and you.... but not to you!

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

Are you sure it wasn't a accident? Someone voted down a new member and i ask why and it was a accident so i fixed, You can't make as many vote downs as you want in one day, theres a limit and if you reach it it'll tell you that you've exceeded the quota of -1 for the day.

EDIT: I don't think you should have to reply to the thread to be able to give rep because if i come across an old post i think should have a +1 or a -1 i wouldn't be able to.

This post has been edited by Alex6788: 15 October 2010 - 12:39 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:39 AM

Say someone whom has nothing to do with the conversation finds Dream In Code while searching the internet search engines, creates an account here, gets their situation taken care of because of lengthy (or short & sweet) answers given, & clicks the 'this post was helpful, rep++;' button. You are suggesting that this ability be removed because they were not involved in the conversation. Am I correct in this understanding?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:23 AM

@ Alex - you right, you should be able to reply to old posts especially if they are helpful to you but to give -1 on a post just because you did not find the answer you were looking for seems a bit harsh especially if you not the one that asked the question. As for it being an accident well that's debatable as I can't see how getting 3 -1 in less than 2 minutes from the same person can be an accident. Or maybe I'm wrong and they thinks the rep points are a personal record of posts they have viewed and not something that everyone can see.

@ no2pencil - what I'm saying is that if they click on +1 or -1 they should have to input why they doing so, like "oh this post was so helpful and now I'm able to take over the world" or "this post is incorrect".

Just my opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:47 AM

@ Alex - you right, you should be able to reply to old posts especially if they are helpful to you but to give -1 on a post just because you did not find the answer you were looking for seems a bit harsh especially if you not the one that asked the question. As for it being an accident well that's debatable as I can't see how getting 3 -1 in less than 2 minutes from the same person can be an accident. Or maybe I'm wrong and they thinks the rep points are a personal record of posts they have viewed and not something that everyone can see.

You can reply to old post but people don't like it when you do that.

but to give -1 on a post just because you did not find the answer you were looking for seems a bit harsh especially if you not the one that asked the question.

I didn't mean that if it didn't help me i'd -1 it, i meant on old posts i see sometimes someone will give really bad advice or are being rude, that's the sort of stuff i -1.

This post has been edited by Alex6788: 15 October 2010 - 01:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:54 AM

Ok, how does it make you feel if someone gives you a +? and how does it make you feel if someone gives you a -? Does it really make a difference? What was the main goal? Getting your answer to your question right? So you got it, and who cares if there is a + or a -.

You could also start to worry if you are a Mentor, Contributer, Author etc.. If it really really is a problem. then start fixing your rep by helping people. Collect as many +'s as possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:56 AM

View Postmotcom, on 15 October 2010 - 02:54 AM, said:

Ok, how does it make you feel if someone gives you a +? and how does it make you feel if someone gives you a -? Does it really make a difference? What was the main goal? Getting your answer to your question right? So you got it, and who cares if there is a + or a -.

You could also start to worry if you are a Mentor, Contributer, Author etc.. If it really really is a problem. then start fixing your rep by helping people. Collect as many +'s as possible.

No he didn't get a -1 someone gave a -1 to someone that helped him.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:00 AM

Ok, what post was it, maybe we can give a +1 if it's needed
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:05 AM

lol @ Alex - I'd give you some kudos but alas not in this thread.

So you understand - a normal person that happens upon a post which was not helpful to them per say would not -1 it unless it was rude, incorrect or the likes regardless of how old it is. Which is in essence how the system is suppose to work but when a another person comes along and -1 it cause a) it was not useful to them B) they do not like the poster it kind of sours the system.

View Postmotcom, on 15 October 2010 - 10:00 AM, said:

Ok, what post was it, maybe we can give a +1 if it's needed

Thank you but my intention with this post is not to name names or point fingers but highlight and debate the system. I have already thanked the person in the only way I can ;)

Lekker to run into another Afrikaner, and here I thought I was surrounded by aliens.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:11 AM

View PostAlex6788, on 15 October 2010 - 09:56 AM, said:

Bhahaha... boys, he is a she ;)

FYI motcom - Mass Effect 2 kicks ass! Can't wait for 3.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:13 AM

Well it's not that difficult to find. But if it needs to be fixed then we all can look at it and fix it if it needs to be.

Oh, and there are a couple of people from South Africa on DIC.. Hope you are a Blou Bull supporter hehehe...

EDIT: Would love to play ME3...

This post has been edited by motcom: 15 October 2010 - 02:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:17 AM

View Postmotcom, on 15 October 2010 - 10:13 AM, said:

Well it's not that difficult to find. But if it needs to be fixed then we all can look at it and fix it if it needs to be.

Oh, and there are a couple of people from South Africa on DIC.. Hope you are a Blou Bull supporter hehehe...

True but I hope this thread is taken in the spirit it was intended. I've been on a lot of forums in my life and have seen how things can escalate and turn into a witch hunt. Keyboard cowboy syndrome is very easy to contract.

Blou Bull forever. Which makes life interesting considering my better half is a Lions supporter ;)

Alas ME3 is only out in 2012.

This post has been edited by Shado3225: 15 October 2010 - 02:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:29 AM

View PostShado3225, on 15 October 2010 - 03:11 AM, said:

View PostAlex6788, on 15 October 2010 - 09:56 AM, said:

Bhahaha... boys, he is a she ;)

FYI motcom - Mass Effect 2 kicks ass! Can't wait for 3.

Ha ha oops, don't think I'm sexist i am really big on equality.

As proof just look at this post i made a while back.

This
- Was the bible written by men for men or was it inspired by god and written by man?

should be
- Was the bible written by men and women for men and women or was it inspired by god and written by man?

:-)
This post has been edited by Alex6788: 11 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

I was correcting someone.

This post has been edited by Alex6788: 15 October 2010 - 02:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:45 AM

lol @ Alex... your man parts are safe... :devil: for now in any case. It just so happens that I get that a lot and always have a good laugh at the responses once I correct them. Once I let it go on for 2 weeks and this one chick was having a hell of a time flirting with me till I showed up at the meet n greet. Well lets just say it was entertaining.

As bikers we love to take the p!ss out of one another ;)

This post has been edited by Shado3225: 15 October 2010 - 03:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:13 AM

who cares about rep??, its just a number that won't increase or decrease the little knowledge i have.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +