12 Replies - 2170 Views - Last Post: 20 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

programming and age!

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:23 AM

HEy , i`m clodipro
i have a question that worried me a bit
here it is:
# does age matter when it come to solving problem and writting progrmming code?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: programming and age!

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: programming and age!

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:37 AM

Well I guess it might if you weren't old enough to have learned how to write yet.

Come on, experience matters (as you only get better with practice), but age? No. Of course, the younger you are, normally the less chance you've had for experience, and vice-versa. This is not always true, however.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

I disagree to an extend. Will someone keep the same eyesight, concentration and working memory capacity as they age? I don't think so. However, this could be more then offset by learning more efficient and maintainable ways to do things though experience. Therefore I think it is important for someone to be continually trying to raise their level of programming so as they get older so they will improve with experience rather then decline.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

you can learn to program at any age, the younger you are the better chance you have of picking it up, just like foreign languages are easier to learn when you are younger.

There are people in my programming lectures a multiple ages between 18 and 50 something. So if you want to do it and have the cognitive capacity to do it, age is not a factor.

However you may need to get your spelling sorted before trying to learn to program as syntax is a quite important thing to stick to and that involves remembering and spelling things correctly. I can't imagine remembering method calls etc will be easy when you can't remember how to spell writing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

With age comes discipline, which makes it heckuva lot easier figuring out specifications or trudging through a 1200 page book on Windows MFC programming. The youngsters, though, certainly have more stamina than us fogies and find it easier to program 16, 17 hours straight. I don't have that in me anymore, or, at least, couldn't maintain that everyday.

Dunno, each has their pros and cons.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:29 PM

I have to say, age is not a factor. I'm only 16, but I do have quite a bit of experience. Certainly, I don't know a lot, as there is a ton that I don't know, but I think the important thing is that you pursue the continuing education that comes with being a programmer. The experience that you gain is worth more than simply being older.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:36 PM

View Postbonyjoe, on 15 October 2010 - 10:42 AM, said:

However you may need to get your spelling sorted before trying to learn to program as syntax is a quite important thing to stick to and that involves remembering and spelling things correctly. I can't imagine remembering method calls etc will be easy when you can't remember how to spell writing.

A good IDE can tell us how to spell all our methods and even spell-check our comments. Understanding concepts are much more important. When all else fails good documentation helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• --... ...-- -.. . -. ---.. .-- -..- ...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

whad 'e say?? Speak UP!

Heh??
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:25 PM

View Postn8wxs, on 15 October 2010 - 04:00 PM, said:

whad 'e say?? Speak UP!

Heh??

:D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:17 AM

View Postmasijade, on 15 October 2010 - 02:37 AM, said:

Well I guess it might if you weren't old enough to have learned how to write yet.

Come on, experience matters (as you only get better with practice), but age? No. Of course, the younger you are, normally the less chance you've had for experience, and vice-versa. This is not always true, however.

I really thank you for taking time to answer to the programming and age topic,... next year i`ll be having to do computer science at university and i will appreciate any comment comming up from you
Thank you again

View Postbonyjoe, on 15 October 2010 - 10:42 AM, said:

you can learn to program at any age, the younger you are the better chance you have of picking it up, just like foreign languages are easier to learn when you are younger.

There are people in my programming lectures a multiple ages between 18 and 50 something. So if you want to do it and have the cognitive capacity to do it, age is not a factor.

I really thank you for taking time to answer to the programming and age topic,... next year i`ll be having to do computer science at university and i will appreciate any comment comming up from you
Thank you again
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:23 PM

I personally think that it depends on what your goals are. For instance, if you want to pick up programming as a new profession, then age is only a small factor based on what you are trying to do. However, if you just look at something like, "how good of a programmer will I be if I am such-and-such an age", then no, it does not matter. Like a couple of the posts above me mentioned, it is likely easier to pick up at a younger age. However, when looking for jobs it is likely harder because the younger you are, people assume less experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:05 PM

As long as you're not old enough that you pee your pants, aka not seriously young that you don't know what you're doing or that you're too old and senile. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

Moved to the Cube.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -