Help PLease!!

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1122 Views - Last Post: 18 October 2010 - 03:40 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

DTD Help

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:38 AM

Hi all,

I am very new in DTD and i am learning too. I came across this question to construct DTD . Here is the Question. I tried attempting it. Please Help!! I have also pasted my answer too

Suppose you have to collect data from a large system of weather stations. Each station has an ID. It records TEMPerature, LONGitude and WINDspeed. Each station has a position consisting of a LATitude,LONGitude and ELEVation. Stations come in two kinds: STATic and MOBile. In mobile stations( such as ballons and ships) the positions varies.

PRECipitation(rainfall) is recorded only by static stations. They do this by using a little bucket which fills up each time 1mm of rain accumulates, sends a signal,and then empties itself.Thus precipitation is recorded as a series of times.

Weather stations normally take readings at approximately 15 minute interval. In additions to the data described above, each reading contains its time and the precipitation represented as a list of times since the last reading. Readings are normally sent from a station to the central office, but since contact with the office is often lost, stations buffer the data and send it as a file containing a list of readings when contact is re-established.

Design a DTD for the file. The DTD should be reasonably "modular". E.g there should be a position element. The same DTD should be used by both static and moving stations.

My Solution. I am not sure whther this is correct or not. Can someone please help to correct and guide please.

< DOC TYPE Weather_Forecast [
<! ELEMENT Weather_Forecast ( Station*)>
<! ELEMENT Station (Position, (Static | Mobile)*>
<! ATTLIST Station sID ID #REQUIRED>
<! ELEMENT Position (LALTitude, LONGitude, ELEVation)>
<! ELEMENT LALTitude <#PCDATA>>
<! ELEMENT LONGitude <#PCDATA>>
<! ELEMENT ELEVation <#PCDATA>>
<! ELEMENT Static ( Reading, PRECipitation*)>
<! ELEMENT Reading(TEMPerature, PRESSure, HUMIdity, WINDspeed)>
<! ELEMENT TEMPerature <#PCDATA>>
<! ELEMENT PRESSure <#PCDATA>>
<! ELEMENT WINDspeed <#PCDATA>>
<! ELEMENT PRECipitation (time)>
<!ATTLIST rain_recorded CDATA #FIXED "1 mm">
<! ELEMENT time (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT Mobile(Reading)>
<! ELEMENT TEMPerature <#PCDATA>>
<! ELEMENT PRESSure <#PCDATA>>
<! ELEMENT WINDspeed <#PCDATA>
]>

Expecting a positive reply from you guys!!!!!

Regards
Harish

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: DTD Help

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: DTD Help

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:51 AM

I'm not wholly sure what it is that you are asking.

I understand that this a homework assignment and that you have to design a DTD but as I understand it a DTD is a Document Type Definition and as you posted this in the HTML & CSS board I would think that is what you are referring to. However I get the sneaky suspicion that this is not really what you are referring to.

Maybe a little more info would help?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:58 AM

View PostShado3225, on 15 October 2010 - 02:51 AM, said:

I understand that this a homework assignment and that you have to design a DTD but as I understand it a DTD is a Document Type Definition and as you posted this in the HTML & CSS board I would think that is what you are referring to. However I get the sneaky suspicion that this is not really what you are referring to.

Hi thanks for the reply. May i know what other information you require please? and where should i post this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:17 AM

View Posthariz2410, on 15 October 2010 - 02:58 AM, said:

Hi thanks for the reply. May i know what other information you require please? and where should i post this?

HELP PLEASE!!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:40 AM

View Posthariz2410, on 16 October 2010 - 10:17 AM, said:

View Posthariz2410, on 15 October 2010 - 02:58 AM, said:

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Sorry for the delay - been off line all weekend.

It seems DTD design goes hand in hand with xml, regrettably I do not know all that much about it. I did find this article which might help The Fundamentals of DTD Design. Hope it helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1