• (3 Pages)
  • +

31 Replies - 2339 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Am I in the Wrong Here?

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:13 AM

I just had to send an email to my academic advisor like this (I censored out our names):

Academic Advisor,

You told me to email you back in about a week, but I wanted to get my midterms back first. I just got my last one back today. Here’s how I stand in my classes:

AFROTC: I dropped. I was never going to go to field training, that much was evident, so I wasn’t going to waste my time anymore.
CS241: I got an 89% on my midterm. A little disappointing, but I’m ranked 2nd in the class with a weighted average of ~89.93%
MTH231: I got an 8/80 on the midterm, but I think it was due to test anxiety. I’m pretty sure I understand the material, and I have another test Monday.
PHY240: Just got the midterm back today. 38.75%. Yea, I think I’m going to drop this. Now that I don’t have ROTC to worry about, I can drop below full time. I suppose I can take it at a later date.

The thing with the physics class is that I’m pretty sure I understand the concepts, but the professor is horrible and expects entirely too much from us. 50 minutes 3 times a week is nowhere near enough time for such a complicated and advanced class such as physics, especially the engineering variety. It takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours to do a single physics problem, and given that we only have 50 minutes, 5 problems on the test was way too much, and they were 5 part problems too. Mr. Professor doesn’t even teach, he takes the slides and reads them at us, not explaining anything. I suppose this is due to the fact that there is only 50 minutes to cover almost a whole chapter. I really don’t want to sign up for physics again until they make the classes longer and get a better professor. I know it’s not just me, because my boss can explain physics to me in 5 minutes and I understand. Plus the class average on the test was a 20-40.

If I drop physics, I can focus more on my calculus, which I definitely need to do. Physics, despite how desperately far behind I am, takes entirely too much of my time, and I have been putting off my other classes to focus on that. I just think it’s the best thing right now. All of my homework’s are in the single digits (like the last one being 2.5/20) because I can’t get them all done, and then they throw lab homework on top of it?! No. This is ridiculous. I would feel a lot better about spending 40 hours a week on physics if I actually had a decent amount of lecture time to back it up.

Well, now that I am dropping physics, and have dropped ROTC, I feel a giant weight off of my chest, and feel better about studying for calculus and java. Sorry about the rant, but I needed to let you know how I felt about this. I hope you can understand. Thanks for your time.

V/R,

Me

Am I wrong about the expected work? 50 mins 3 times a week is not enough at all.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 15 October 2010 - 09:16 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Am I in the Wrong Here?

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Am I in the Wrong Here?

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

POPULAR

Well, you're a woman, so by default, yes. You are wrong.

I'm obviously kidding.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

I don't know what stuff are you covering in physics but I suppose it should be more than 50 mins 3 times a week since physics is the kind of subject that needs a lot of practice and a good understanding. At my uni physics is 180 mins a week for lectures plus another 90 mins for tutorials and still i needed to do a lot of practice and reading at home. I think you shouldn't drop it just because the prof sucks though, just give it your best and go and get a tutor if you have to, just get it over with, you don't know who will be teaching you if you decide to take it later. so the best thing to do is just do your part and study your brains out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:38 AM

Well, it depends about what do you see as wrong?

Personally, I would say no-one is wrong at the end. Everyone has his/her own opinion about what is difficult and what is a good time/effort rate (sorry if I explain very badly, I am not very good at expressing myself nor these things ><)

However, I wouldn't say you're wrong. You have your own opinion about it and if you feel it is the best manner to handle such problem, don't doubt your own solution. Doubt only brings more doubt, meaning losing more time and so on. I would say: "Don't think too long about this issue and continue further with what you want to do" ^^

PS
I do not know what kind of physics course you have, but I remember I once had the same problem as you had. I had mechanics of materials and we had 4x a week 50 minutes explanation. Well, explanation... You can't really call it explanantion, because it was just like reading the slides and so on.

Somehow, I managed it through, but only with a lot of selfstudy. (ow, btw I am also studying to become an engineer, and aerospace engineer to be exactly)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:55 AM

Personally, I'd lay off the personal attacks on the teacher as it wont do you any good and will mute your over all points to your advisor. Being a college grad my self, I've had classes I had to repeat (linear algebra twice) and can tell you your concerns are none of theirs. I call physics and most higher level math courses *money makers* as these usually make or break the even most dedicated of students. However, your best option is to find another teacher and to take this class during a light semester..and of course get a tutor. But really, give the class your honest 100% and spend as much time as needed because let me tell you..I switched majors and regret it to this day. Overcoming these obstacles will make you feel a million times better in your self and realize even though these classes might not be interesting to you..its still required of the major you've chosen. best of luck to you
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:23 AM

Are you in the wrong? I would say yes.

Didn't your parents ever tell you to "stop making excuses"? The letter was mostly making excuses at other people's expense (namely your professor) for your failures.

50 minutes 3 times a week? That's more frequently then my Physics class met and we all did just fine. If it was really that bad then more students would be failing out at a high enough rate to warrant a change.

Physics is difficult, it takes HARD work. That's what you aught to be passing it off on. Your lack of ability to dedicate the time required to study Physics at the moment (note lack of ability does not necessarily mean procastination or irresponsibility... though it can be).

I'm trying to look at this like I were your dean/advisor. And nothing in your letter said to me that it seems like you're trying... but instead that you're making excuses.

Then again, I am a college drop out. So take what I say with a grain of salt. :)

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 15 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

I don't think your're in the wrong and I bet that you're not the only one in these classes that feels this way. I can tell you from my own experience such as these that if you're having difficulty, chances are your not the only one.

However, as has been mentioned, your problems don't always concern the professor and this doesn't help matters. You might want to ask around and find a professor worth his skin.

Also, a common thing with college students is to get way overloaded with work. I would say that ROTC, Calculus, and Physics alone are a semester in and of itself. I know people try to get school done in 4 years, but sometimes its not always possible. You are studying a lot of very heavy subjects and you must obviously be a highly intelligent person. I would suggest lightening your load (you already have) and just keep hammering away.

A lot of students kill their GPA by biting off more than they can chew. even full time students.

I sympathize with you NeoTifa, I have been there.

IT SUCKS!!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

Yes, I learned the biting off more than you can chew thing my first year, as it was complete fail. I brought my GPA up a whole point since spring 10.

I appreciate all the comments. When I met with my academic advisor last, I already explained the problem with physics. He's an adjunct too, one who shoulda got fired last year but for some reason didn't. As soon as I said his name my advisor winced. Lol yea, that bad. We do have a shitty physics, and some argue math though I've had no real problem with it, department, and most of the people here who have to take physics go to another campus to do so then transfer over. One of my lab buddies said hes already taken physics at his old college (I think he's going back for a second degree) up to quantum physics, and the professor we have now is confusing the hell out of him.

I have read through every chapter so far like 3 times, and it sort of makes sense, but the prof should be supplimenting the book with his own knowledge, explanations, and clarifications, not reading it to us. I didn't sign up for story time. I dunno.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 15 October 2010 - 12:43 PM, said:

Yes, I learned the biting off more than you can chew thing my first year, as it was complete fail. I brought my GPA up a whole point since spring 10.

I appreciate all the comments. When I met with my academic advisor last, I already explained the problem with physics. He's an adjunct too, one who shoulda got fired last year but for some reason didn't. As soon as I said his name my advisor winced. Lol yea, that bad. We do have a shitty physics, and some argue math though I've had no real problem with it, department, and most of the people here who have to take physics go to another campus to do so then transfer over. One of my lab buddies said hes already taken physics at his old college (I think he's going back for a second degree) up to quantum physics, and the professor we have now is confusing the hell out of him.

I have read through every chapter so far like 3 times, and it sort of makes sense, but the prof should be supplimenting the book with his own knowledge, explanations, and clarifications, not reading it to us. I didn't sign up for story time. I dunno.

Well, I have to throw the whole "bite off more than you can chew can screw you" bit because, as you said, many freshman make that mistake including myself.

A lot of people do the whole find "easier" classes (when its actually just a class that's better taught)on other campus's. I live in Indiana and several students took discrete math in Indianapolis on the north side just to get through it. Same with some of the calculus.

A professor who only reads from a book needs to be fired. I thought that was something else everyone learned their freshman year,actually read the book because the professor (usually) won't read it for you and lecture, it's just that, lecture

Anyway, good luck Neo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

Thanks. Yea, my calculus prof actually explained stuff that wasn't in the book that supplemented the text perfectly, and helped us on our homework. That's how it's done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:37 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 15 October 2010 - 01:23 PM, said:

50 minutes 3 times a week? That's more frequently then my Physics class met and we all did just fine. If it was really that bad then more students would be failing out at a high enough rate to warrant a change.

When a teacher is incompetent and doesn't even teach, just play some bullshit slides, I think it's time for him to have his cage rattled.

I'm in the same camp right now because my current teacher just sits on his ass all class and tells us to read some PDF he downloaded off the web.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:04 AM

Yea, then he made us print out all of our worksheets and shit we were supposed to turn in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 私もクールです

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:46 AM

Depending on the policies regarding making up work, retaking tests etc (some profs are flexible, others are not so much), dropping may be a good thing. That aside, since the material is challenging tutoring is highly recommended. But I gotta say for GPA sake and completing in a reasonable amount of time, all class dropping should be done at the beginning of the semester so you can "card" into another class (even if it is a filler class). I have had plenty of teachers who read from a book or made absolutely no sense (those who can't 'do,' teach?) but most of the reason for college is the piece of paper they give you at the end. 90% of people i know say they hardly use anything in they learned in college (the majority of them engineers). Example, a good friend of mine works for intel, and has a degree in Chem Eng. The highest math he uses on a day to day basis excluding complicated situations, is statistics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:17 AM

Well the reason I worry is because we use a lot of calculus and physics where I work. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

Perhaps you should work ahead over a break before you enroll in the class the following semester so you won't be starting at ground zero in class. Or go to a local (community) college and take the same course in hopes of it being gentler introduction to the material.

I feel your pain with Physics, though. The Physics curriculum at my school sucks, and I'm basically self-studying to do well in the class. My teacher is more like "hey- let's just have fun and do labs." :(
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +