Proud moments for the tech handicapped

Describe a small step in bringing someone to the tech side.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

42 Replies - 2822 Views - Last Post: 29 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Proud moments for the tech handicapped

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

So my girlfriend recently got a job editing for some blog website in the local area. The strange thing is she isn't much of a techy at all, but is a writer and knows her English well (I keep her around to fix mine). But because it's internet articles she's been having a hard time finding her way around her computer, the html wysiwyg, and the ilk. She's even bothered to learn a smidgen of html... gasp

Anyways she texted me just now:

it's like i'm suddenly best friends with keyboard commands.

What are you proud moments when a non-techy picks up one of those little things that you probably take for granted every day?

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 19 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Proud moments for the tech handicapped

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Proud moments for the tech handicapped

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

The wife got excited when I bought her a book on Photoshop, it was kinda cute.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:44 AM

Your wife gets excited a lot it seems, christoph. I envy you :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:54 AM

I caught my wife reading on MSDN what C# was and later on talked to me about the .NET framework. I was like woah!

Oh an another proud moment was when she beat me to level 80 on WoW when it was 2.4.3 (we played on a private server).

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 20 October 2010 - 04:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:00 AM

Well not sure it is really a proud moment but it did make me smile.

A couple of years back my my mother calls me us asking for help with the computer. Bearing in mind my mother first met a computer at the age of 42 and trying to explain to her how to change settings on an older version when you don't have a computer in front of you is no easy task. So after 2 hours of frustrating instruction of left click here and right click there (to someone that does not know what a taskbar is) it dawned upon me.

You see my 7 year old brother was playing around on the computer and inadvertently inverted the mouse buttons.

After that I instructed her to lock certain folders before letting my brother on the computer again.

I still chuckle whenever I think of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:24 AM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 20 October 2010 - 03:54 AM, said:

I caught my wife reading on MSDN what C# was and later on talked to me about the .NET framework. I was like woah!

Now THAT I think is sweet... really I do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

It made me proud when my mom got on rotten.com all by herself for once. XD Besides qvc.com, that's her favorite site. Oh, then she used qvc.com to buy herself a better laptop than mine. I was livid. She eventually returned it though. Seriously, my mom does nothing but go to qvc.com and plays spider solitaire, why should she have a better computer than me, a computer engineering major?! Wtf?!

And why is this mostly about people's wives finally discovering how to do computer stuff? Just because they have a vagina doesn't mean they're completely stupid. Jeez, I'm going into this rant again....

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 20 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

And why is this mostly about people's wives finally discovering how to do computer stuff?

I was thinking the same thing +1 to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 20 October 2010 - 09:42 AM, said:

And why is this mostly about people's wives finally discovering how to do computer stuff?

Most members are guys. This means, in most cases, their significant others are women. Simple probability. Geez, girls and math... ;)

My father in law uses Linux. I'm not sure if this a true win, since he doesn't really know what the hell is on his computer. However, he happily surfs, writes emails, and I haven't had to exorcise an Internet worm since.

My wife updated drivers on her laptop recently. We were both a little amazed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:18 AM

Yeah, I know most of you are guys, but that doesn't mean you have to assume your wives are tech-retarded just because they have a vagina.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

well it's my girlfriend and she is admitedly tech-retarded. Doesn't mean women are tech-retarded, it means my girlfriend is. You made the connection of individuals to a group. The opposite could be said, by poll the numbers in this thread show the wives of tech buffs tend to be tech-tarded. But then again it's a poll of what... 3 or 4? Not enough data there to make any assumption at all.

So don't worry, we aren't picking on women... we're talking about our significant others.

Furthermore the inability of our significant others to use a computer like we can does not mean they are inferior in any way. My girlfriend has a way with words I will never have. I tend to just ramble and babble, she can get to the point right away. She's also more active in the political and activisty stuff that I really have no patience for.

So yeah, you made the leap from our wives/girlfriends to a stereotype. My girlfriend is also very short, does this mean I'm saying dwarfs can't use computers? No I'm not.

And you may want to take a logics course if you're in engineering. Making an inverted assumption like that is a fallacy. Now if we said "hey neotifa, you are computer stupid because our wives are and you both have vaginas." Then that would be grounds, but we didn't say that. We never connected anything to women, you abstracted that attribute yourself completely unrelated to the original statement.

@ baavgai - my neighbour and very good friend showed up on my doorstep recently with laptop in hand demanding I put Ubuntu on it for him. I sat him down, made him do it himself, and last night while hanging on the porch with him he says "screw windows and mac, this thing is AWESOME, I found some awesome software to let me write my comic books. This thing is sweet!"

smiles

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 20 October 2010 - 09:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

I guess I'm just still bumhurt from yesterday. Some guy basically said that I didn't know what an OS was (he also tried to convince me the OS war was over. Lol no), and then when I told him off he said "well I will give you extra points for having a vagina and using dual-boot appropriately in a sentence." WTF?! *feminist rage*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 20 October 2010 - 08:33 AM, said:

I guess I'm just still bumhurt from yesterday. Some guy basically said that I didn't know what an OS was (he also tried to convince me the OS war was over. Lol no), and then when I told him off he said "well I will give you extra points for having a vagina and using dual-boot appropriately in a sentence." WTF?! *feminist rage*

Now that sounds like a douche bag who probably didn't know you. Go punch him in the dick for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:41 AM

I dunno who he is. He also stated he was on DIC 8 years ago. Idk. I was teasing some girl I go to school with on her facebook because she said something along the lines of "My bf is teaching me some nerd stuff on the computer" and I was like "MS Word is not nerd stuff :P" and she resonded something about multiple OSs so I asked her if she was trying to dual-boot, and her bf pitched in basically saying I was retarded. :/ So they meant virtual machines. That coulda been the end of that.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 20 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 私もクールです

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

sounds like the dude isn't comfortable in his knowledge or his relationship. There may not have been much to punch if you resorted to that action :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +