Multiple Site, IIS and CFIDE

I have multiple sites, but one is having trouble accessing cfide

Page 1 of 1

10 Replies - 5448 Views - Last Post: 21 October 2010 - 09:25 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Multiple Site, IIS and CFIDE

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:35 AM

The office I work in doesn't support ColdFusion, I'm supposed to be the authority on it. Unfortunately, I'm more of a programmer and the problem I'm having seems to be related to server configuration.

Anyway, here's the run down; we have a ColdFusion server hosting a large web site (Site A), we recently started development on a second web site (Site B) that will have it's own domain and no affiliation with Site A other than the fact that they are both ColdFusion.

Site B makes use of the CFCHART tag which works fine in development, but when viewed from the new domain name the charts don't appear. Google Chrome reports the following error:
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) GraphData.cfm

I've been able to determine that this is because the development site uses the same IP address for both web sites and separate subfolders (http://server/site_a/ and http://server/site_b/). However, when looking at the settings in IIS I noticed that Site A has an IP address ending in .99 and Site B ends with .47. I'm assuming this breaks the connection with the CFIDE folder and therefore the web page can't find GraphData.cfm to process the CFCHART tag (also, typing http://site_b_domain.../administrator/ results in a 404). I'm not sure why the configured the sites this way but if I change Site B's IP to .99 the domain name doesn't work (naturally). I've tried creating a Virtual Directory in IIS inside Site B and pointing it to the CFIDE folder, which fixes allows me to access the CFIDE Administrator (http://site_b_domain/cfide/administrator/), but doesn't fix the issue with the CFCHART tag.

Any suggestions?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Multiple Site, IIS and CFIDE

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Multiple Site, IIS and CFIDE

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:49 AM

You referred to Site B as the dev site a couple of times. Will it remain a dev site or when you're done will it be a live site as well?

Also, tells us about the CF version you're using, the IIS version (or Windows OS) you're using and confirm for us whether both sites are on the same box.

I currently do dev work on my Vista laptop with CF9 and have, at last count, 9 different sites all being served from the same CF install (and some of them use CFCHART) so I'm sure we can get you squared away somehow.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:51 AM

Forgive my forgetting of proper terms, but you need to setup a virtual folder on Site B. What it sounds like is that Site A is set in the default website in IIS, which means that CFIDE lives in the site. Create a virtual folder in Site B in IIS that maps /CFIDE to something probably like C:/inetpub/wwwroot/CFIDE. There is another way to do it which I do not recommend, but if you only need access to CFChart in Site B (along with any other of the AJAX features you can look in the CFIDE folder and copy the scripts folder into your new site. As I said I don't recommend it, because updating becomes a pain in the arse.

Again forgive me if my paths and terms are messed up. It has been awhile since I have used IIS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

View PostCraig328, on 21 October 2010 - 01:49 PM, said:

You referred to Site B as the dev site a couple of times. Will it remain a dev site or when you're done will it be a live site as well?

Also, tells us about the CF version you're using, the IIS version (or Windows OS) you're using and confirm for us whether both sites are on the same box.

I currently do dev work on my Vista laptop with CF9 and have, at last count, 9 different sites all being served from the same CF install (and some of them use CFCHART) so I'm sure we can get you squared away somehow.

Sorry, Site B is currently in development and will be a live site upon completion. Using ColdFusion 8.0.1 with latest hotfixes installed. IIS 6.0. Both sites are on the same virtual machine.

View Postxheartonfire43x, on 21 October 2010 - 01:51 PM, said:

Forgive my forgetting of proper terms, but you need to setup a virtual folder on Site B. What it sounds like is that Site A is set in the default website in IIS, which means that CFIDE lives in the site. Create a virtual folder in Site B in IIS that maps /CFIDE to something probably like C:/inetpub/wwwroot/CFIDE. There is another way to do it which I do not recommend, but if you only need access to CFChart in Site B (along with any other of the AJAX features you can look in the CFIDE folder and copy the scripts folder into your new site. As I said I don't recommend it, because updating becomes a pain in the arse.

Again forgive me if my paths and terms are messed up. It has been awhile since I have used IIS.

Thank you for the recommendation, however, I have tried creating the Virtual Directory in Site B as mentioned in my initial post.

I've tried creating a Virtual Directory in IIS inside Site B and pointing it to the CFIDE folder, which fixes allows me to access the CFIDE Administrator (http://site_b_domain/cfide/administrator/), but doesn't fix the issue with the CFCHART tag.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

cyb1n:

Have a look at this link, give it a try and see if that fixes it for you.

I've seen other references on other sites that seem to suggest the same thing (but not near as clearly as this one does).

Let us know how that works for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:34 AM

View PostCraig328, on 21 October 2010 - 02:23 PM, said:

cyb1n:

Have a look at this link, give it a try and see if that fixes it for you.

I've seen other references on other sites that seem to suggest the same thing (but not near as clearly as this one does).

Let us know how that works for you.

I followed the steps mentioned on the link you provided but it doesn't seem to have fixed anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:43 AM

Hm. Is your virtual directory in Site B still there?

Edit: Also, when you made the changes in the link, did you restart IIS and CF to make sure the changes loaded? You shouldn't have to do that but it can't hurt.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 21 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

View PostCraig328, on 21 October 2010 - 02:43 PM, said:

Hm. Is your virtual directory in Site B still there?

Edit: Also, when you made the changes in the link, did you restart IIS and CF to make sure the changes loaded? You shouldn't have to do that but it can't hurt.

The virtual directory is still there. I even tried deleting it, saving the configuration of the virtual directory from Site A and recreating the virtual directory in Site B from the file and restarting both ColdFusion and IIS. It still allows me to access sitedomain/cfide/administrator/ but the graphs won't load.

I don't think it would since the issue seems to be server based rather than application based, but do you think the this.scriptProtect variable in either site's Application.cfc would have anything to do with it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

No, scriptprotect is for cross site scripting attacks. That doesn't seem like it would be a problem here.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to try and hit this after I get home later today as I can't follow along on the box I can hit now (CF9 on Vista Pro/IIS7). None of the menus are the same here and I can't recall off the top of my head how they're supposed to look on IIS6.

However, where do you have your site(s) set up? I normally put mine under C:\inetpub\wwwroot which would be at the same level that CF sets up its CFIDE folder...making the CFIDE folder equal access to all sites.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 21 October 2010 - 09:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thank you Craig for all your help. Apparently when creating a virtual directory for CFIDE in IIS you also have to create a virtual directory for JRunScripts. None of the forums I read mentioned anything about the JRunScripts folder except this post on devshed. Went ahead and saved the configuration from for JRunScripts from Site A and imported it to Site B and it's displaying fine now.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

Outstanding! Good for you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -