13 Replies - 2881 Views - Last Post: 29 October 2010 - 09:37 AM

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Websites and Printing.

Post icon  Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

On the freelancing website that I was just hired to build, I had it in on time and correct rending, but my client said that it wasn't done yet. I was perplexed when he said that it doesn't print properly (turns out that only IE was printing it incorrectly). This is nearly thee first time that I have heard of people actually printing websites. How frequently do people print off of webpages these days and what are your thoughts about it?

edit: Why is this featured? I didn't do that...can a mod unfeature it please (unless it's an ok topic).

This post has been edited by Dogstopper: 23 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Websites and Printing.

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Websites and Printing.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

We'll, it is required for printing out reports. Employees sometimes are required to show hard-copies to their managers. Personally, I prefer to generate PDF files for such purposes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:37 PM

I have also had an issue with this before when working for a client. Just added a print.css file to fix the problem to their standards. I have almost never printed a web site and I really don't see why people do. I can see what Munawwar is saying about reports and he makes a good point. In the day and age of the technology we have I don't really see why we print anything really, most stuff to me seems like it can/should be paperless. Just my thoughts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:06 AM

View PostMoshambi, on 24 October 2010 - 12:37 AM, said:

I have also had an issue with this before when working for a client. Just added a print.css file to fix the problem to their standards. I have almost never printed a web site and I really don't see why people do. I can see what Munawwar is saying about reports and he makes a good point. In the day and age of the technology we have I don't really see why we print anything really, most stuff to me seems like it can/should be paperless. Just my thoughts.

That's my point. This is just an informational web site and there is VERY little to need to print out. It's just a waste of paper and ink. However, yes, it was as simple as adding a print.css file and having it apply only to printing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

It definitely makes you remember that users almost never think or do things the way that we intend or the way we do things. Someday...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:18 AM

Actually, that's what the print css sheet is for, check into the media property of the style tag. Quite useful for stuff such as that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:23 AM

View PostLemur, on 24 October 2010 - 12:18 AM, said:

Actually, that's what the print css sheet is for, check into the media property of the style tag. Quite useful for stuff such as that.

Oh I absolutely agree, it's not a hard thing to implement but it's just the fact of: why?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:35 AM

Eh, who knows, client knows what's best and some other such talk. Really it adds up hours that are billable for something simple that MIGHT take you an hour at max to create, or if you're skilled 2-3 hours ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:37 AM

Lol, yes that is true. As long as they are paying I'm not complaining.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:06 AM

View PostDogstopper, on 24 October 2010 - 10:06 AM, said:

This is just an informational web site and there is VERY little to need to print out.

Interesting!? Didn't you ask your client about the reason for printing the website?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:08 AM

My girlfriend prints web pages all the time. She finds it easier to read articles for research on paper with a marker pen to highlight things. Most pages print pretty badly, with navigation panels pushing the actual content off the side though.

For one client I had to write an invoicing system which let people see statements and invoices online, and in their spec they had a button for "printer-friendly version". A lot of people look for that button on sites, but it's not needed. I made the page have a decent print stylesheet so all the unnecessary crap was set to display: none, like the navigation and adverts and stuff, and swapped out a few colours so they were reduced to black and white where possible. Then I made the "print-friendly" page just load that stylesheet as it it was for screen media. So anyone could print either page and it'd be the same. Eventually they noticed and said "why do we need the button?" And I replied, "we don't. It's just in your spec."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:26 AM

I occasionally print off articles for college reference etc. though usually just copy it all into a word file and save!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

Even if the client isn't the one actually needing the printing, many people print pages off a website for various reasons. You can't argue that some random user won't ever want to print a web page just because you guys don't or can't see a need for it. I almost argue that every website should be print friendly in the event people do want to print the site. It's called "user experience" and every programmer should be accounting for this.

A perfect example was a blog post I came across a couple months ago about a blind guy buying an iPhone. Read here: LINK. Most would have argued why would a blind person need a phone you can't see or feel buttons because it's a touch screen. Yet it was already done. Just because your boss wants it for the website doesn't mean he might be the one printing.

This post has been edited by nooblet: 24 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:37 AM

First of all, as a developer I do not develop sites as printable medium, that is unreasonable. As developers we already have enough to do, outside of formating pages that print properly... On that note, there are often cases where the medium should be printable, but not in a web-page related format. People read things differently online, on a monitor, than offline and on a paper.

Pages in a book are not formatted like pages on a website, and rightly so, they are two very different mediums.

If you have a blog or site you want printable, I would really only say the best way to do so, is to create links and content pages that use print styling to take control of the page layout. You want to do this for any site that has large content blocks for users to be able to read in their own terms, otherwise, I don't feel it is enough of a true need, to warrant the extra cost of development of these things, as well as, some people will just kill their online visual presentation to produce printable pages... which is sad.

This post has been edited by W3bDev: 29 October 2010 - 09:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1