8 Replies - 1829 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Good program to start learning?

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:23 AM

Alright, yea I know the topic isin't that....detailed. So I'll explain here. I have little to no programming past. I know a smidge about HTML, and Java. But I'd like to know where to start off to learn programming in general. Like, a way to start becoming a programmer. Thanks for the future help~

Spades~
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Good program to start learning?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Good program to start learning?

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:37 AM

Hey.

PHP is a good language to start with. Easy to get into, and there are a million and one tutorials and articles out there. I'd start by doing; trying to implement something basic, like a small blog or a photo-album, and learn as you go. It'll be messy but you can refine that later :)

These two are good beginner tutorials for PHP.
- http://www.w3schools...php/default.asp
- http://www.tizag.com/phpT/

You may also want to learn about MySQL if you are going to work with PHP. It's hard to avoid using MySQL when working on PHP. There are a few MySQL tutorials in the DIC Database tutorials section you may find useful.
- http://www.dreaminco...base-tutorials/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:40 AM

Awesome. Thank you.What else would I be able to do with PHP & MySQL. I heard that MySQL is for servers & databases, or is that just Apache?

I know some programming stuff, just not the languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

MySQL is a database server. It's not exactly a part of your own software, but more like: used by your software. It's installed on you server and it sits there waiting for incoming connections. - It's what stores the data for most PHP based websites. It's not the sort of thing you would ship with a desktop application. If you want something more "mobile" I suggest looking into SQLite.

PHP is mostly used for web-development, but it can also be used for desktop development (See PHP-GTK). It is a good place to start honing your basic programming skills. It is a C-like language like C++, Java, C#, and many others, but it can be used much more "freely". - Java and C# *require* the use of OOP and C++ is... C++ :P, but PHP can be used like a procedural scripting language without any real "structure". - It does OOP to, but it's optional.

I suggest using PHP for web-development to begin with though. That is what it was made for and you will find most PHP tutorials and articles focused on web development.

Other languages that are popular among new programmers are: Python, C# and Java.
  • Python is an interpreted language, easy to use and with a very clean structure. It's very powerful though. It's a VB-like language, unlike PHP, C# and Java.
  • C# is the go-to language for Windows based desktop applications. The .Net framework it is built on is very powerful and C# is sort of the center of the Windows universe at the moment. Everybody is doing it! The downside is that it pretty much ties you to Windows and other Microsoft products. (With all the extra $$$ that requires. You can get fully functional development software for free though, just as long as you don't try to use it for work.)
  • Java is very much like C# (or rather, C# is very much like Java) in many ways. However, it's platform independent, running on pretty much any modern platform. It has a vast library of built in functionality. - My biggest problem with it is that the Java Virtual Machine is sometimes a bit "heavy". Java GUI apps can sometimes feel a bit sluggish. (Poor coding sometimes factors into that feeling though.)
    It's used for Android development, if you are into that sort of thing :)

You can use any of them to do pretty much anything you want, but they have roles they excel at. - PHP = web development, Java and C# = desktop apps, Python = ... pretty much anything, really.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:38 AM

Hi

before a recommendation can be made ...

what are your reasons and what sort of programming are you interested in?

seems like you are already into to programming for the web - PHP is quite easy to pick up if you have had experience in html.

:smartass: there is also a lot of help and example code on the net (where I went after mastering html).

any way these days though hardly anyone programs from scratch - as snppets of code can be adapted for your own use and software like dreamweaver helps alot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

View Postrichiebee, on 24 October 2010 - 02:38 PM, said:

any way these days though hardly anyone programs from scratch - as snppets of code can be adapted for your own use and software like dreamweaver helps alot.

To be honest, I would recommend staying away from Dreamweaver, and other such WYSIWYG IDE's, at least until you *can* do what the GUI tools do for you manually. - There is nothing more annoying that trying to help debug somebodies code and they can do nothing but show you how they used Dreamweaver to generate the code for them. - Also, Dreamweaver generates horrible HTML. Horrible! (I've had the misfortune of having to maintain Dreamweaver generated code... Next time I'll be demanding double pay!.. Triple!)

And I wouldn't rely to much on snippets from the Internet, not for more than educational purposes. A lot of the code online is poor quality. Not all of it, of course, but a lot of it. - You are better of writing your own code using the Internet as a guide. Most of the time, at least.

This, by the way, is one of the reasons Flash has such a bad reputation for crappy performance and buggy apps... Cheap outsourcing firms that use poor quality coders that mostly just Google for code snippets or try to get forums like these to give them code, without actually understanding it. A lot of these Flash apps are done like that, and Flash gives you just enough freedom to tank the performance of the whole computer, and cause weird audio bugs and other nasty little things.

... Moral of the story: if you haven't written/checked the code yourself, don't trust it. Not unless you have a good reason to, at least.

[/rant] :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:15 AM

Hi Spades, welcome to </Dream.In.Code> I'm Alex6788 and i'm learning C++. I like your username.

Remember when posting code to do so in code tags :code:
and if someone helped you (or you just found the post funny) click the Posted Image button in the bottom right hand corner of their post.

It's weird I've tried posting this to like 3 times and it hasn't worked.

I'll see you around the forums.

This post has been edited by Alex6788: 24 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

Ah dammit, I was actually planning on using Dreamweaver, instead of using Notepad. If I shouldn't use DreamWeaver, what SHOULD I use instead? I kinda like the WYSIWYG thing.
Anyways, I really appreciate everyone's help.

@richiebee
I just want to learn programming so I can have a open mind on things to make. Of course, making website's or other web stuff would be awesome. Making a private social network, or a blog, or anything really would be good to start with.

@Alex
Aha, thanks. I already noticed everything you mentioned.

@Atli
God, thanks for the help. I'll start learning PHP, not sure where to start with MySQL though.

If you'd like, I have msn. (cyanide_overd0se@hotmail.com)

Thanks again to everyone for helping me. This forum is freakin' awesome :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

View PostSpades, on 24 October 2010 - 05:16 PM, said:

Ah dammit, I was actually planning on using Dreamweaver, instead of using Notepad. If I shouldn't use DreamWeaver, what SHOULD I use instead? I kinda like the WYSIWYG thing.

There is nothing really wrong about using Dreamweaver. Just keep in mind that the ability to use the GUI tools and WYSIWYG editors do NOT make you a good web developer. Knowing what they do, and how to do it without them, does ;)

You could also consider one of the alternatives. I know a lot of people idealize Dreamweaver, but there are excellent alternatives available, many of them free. (Dreamweaver is expensive, you know!).

For example, these are my favorite IDE's:
  • Netbeans. A very versatile IDE that supports a LOT of things. Web development, PHP, Java, C++, and more. It's more of a developer tool than Dreamweaver; aimed at coding rather than designing. (Dreamweaver's coding mode still leaves a lot to be desired.)
  • Aptana. Aptana is aimed more at web UI design (much like Dreamweaver) but supports PHP. Has excellent Javascript support.
  • Eclipse. One of the most popular IDEs around. It has plugins for pretty much everything, including PHP and HTML, CSS, Javascript. - Aptana is based on Eclipse; a collection of plugins and modifications tuning it for a specific purpose.

All of those are completely free, and written in Java so they can be used on pretty much any modern platform.

And if you are not in the mood to fire up the IDE, try Notepad++. It's lightning fast to start up and includes highlighting and code-folding for just about any programming language you may find yourself using.

View PostSpades, on 24 October 2010 - 05:16 PM, said:

not sure where to start with MySQL though.

Try my MySQL Basics tutorial. Might help you get started. There are also a lot of other tutorials out there. PHP and MySQL are probably the most written about software combo on the interwebz :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1