Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: You guys will never be as cool as my math notes

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:40 AM

You need to learn how to take proper notes girly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:42 AM

What? That's only the bottom third.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 26 October 2010 - 05:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:51 AM

good ole times when math was still simple
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:54 AM

LOL! That IS simple. Just vectors, parametric equations, and linear equations. Easy peasy! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:25 AM

View PostDormilich, on 26 October 2010 - 05:51 AM, said:

good ole times when math was still simple

I bet it still is.

But yeah, the notes, seems way too disorganized. Can you come back to them after, say, 3 weeks and still be able to navigate through them?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

we all have our own note taking techniques. Hers mirrors my own... a couple highlighted flag notes sprinkled across the paper, mostly visual note taking. She's probably the kind of person who thinks in images...

some of us can't follow that structured, line for line, outline style note taking. UGH that shits drives me up the wall. Give me a napkin with a sketch scribbled on it and a one line reminder quote in the corner. I'm good to go!

Example, I don't think of a dot product as the sum of the products of each component representing the cosine of the angle between both vectors scaled by the magnitudes of each. I see it as the projection of one onto the other representing the overlap if the multi-dimensional object was jammed into a 1-dimensional space, similar to how we perceive depth through binocular vision.

@neotifa - my girlfriend would love your joke. She loves goofy puns like that.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 26 October 2010 - 07:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 私もクールです

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

I am one of those bound by the outline style. Cornell doesn't provide room for my precise explanations or my pictorials. I used to throw notes randomly about but then I'd get distracted and start making doodles, so I outline to keep my mind on task :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:07 AM

I purposely destroyed all my binders full of notes when I got my degree. I used to take notes with one of these:

Posted Image

The 4 color pen and each color had a meaning. Red was the obviously important stuff...and I forget what each of the other 3 colors meant. I do recall that I'd always run out of black ink and then red ink first. Never ran out all the green on any pen.

My notes were the most anally retentive, ridiculously organized notes ever. It was a real pain in the ass making them...but damn were they easy to study from later. They were my primary advantage when studying for tests/exams. I was mocked for my note taking in the later years when the class sizes shrunk from a few hundred in a lecture hall to a dozen or so in a small classroom. For my German lit class we met in a small meeting sized room on the upper floor of one of the humanities buildings. Maybe 10-15 students total and the prof would sit at the head of the table. One of the first classes he noticed my clicking the pen (it was a small room and while he lectured was very quiet) to change colors and could see the very colorful notes I was taking. Actually asked for my binder and held it up and in a humorous way made slight jest of my habit but said that it was very fitting to be that rigidly organized in a German class. After that he'd say something in a lecture and then occasionally ask what color I just wrote that down in.

Nice side effect of that exposure though was that a couple of the girls in that class would ask if I would like to study with them. Nice way to meet the chicks...even ended up dating one for a couple of years. Worked equally well in my Japanese history class...and with the same results.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about? I got all misty there for a moment...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:20 AM

When I was a freshman in highschool I entered into my first ever class that required notes. As in if I failed to take them I would lose part of my grade. For this particular class the teacher said it was 35% of your grade, this meant that if you failed to take any notes, the highest score possible is a low D, not passing by my personal standards.

Worse was that it was Algebra. I had taken the class the year prior at my previous school, but it was in a different state and they wouldn't allow the transfer of credit. So now I'm embittered about this class, and this piece of information, taking notes on something I already knew, and knew VERY WELL. It didn't go over well with me.

See my main problem is these classes expected me to take a binder full of notes. Usually a 1 1/2 inch binder, sometimes a 2 inch binder. I would look at this and then look at my 1 inch thick text book and scratch my head...

"So you want me to copy this text book into a notebook almost word for word?"

"No, just the important stuff..."

"And what is the important stuff?"

"Just about everything."

Why? It probably would be easier just to turn back to the chapter in the book. Would it not? The book comes with an index, appendix, TOC, glossary, side notes, examples, extra questions, and it's probably going to be at my side just as often as the notebook. Why write it down twice (I understand the education technique of route learning methods through repetition)?

Also, why do that to my poor little wrist? That wrist had more important jobs like defeating the alien hordes in subterrania, holding spliffs, and playing with my pants monkey! Damn it, don't stand between a boy and the pants monkey!

So I went to the guidance counselor, demanded a new teacher, and changed classes.

The new teacher I had was awesome, he was the kind of math teacher that I have come to always desire. They had the mentality of:

Math is a practiced skill, you must practice to make perfect, you will fail if you do not. It is unnecessary to grade homework because your test scores will relfect exactly how you've been practicing, and all homework is, is practicing.

Now I understood that others needed to take notes, route learning methods just work for some people. But route learning methods bore me to death. And the mere fact that teachers in my school would basically set it up that you would fail because you didn't follow into their ridiculous beuracracy made me scream.

My girlfriend says I should have gone to montessori school like her.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 26 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:21 AM

... I play games on my calculator during math class....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Occasional Member

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

Yay math jokes!

Back when I was taking classes I mostly just put down whatever went up on the board, but I'd hardly ever come back to my notes unless it was an example problem. Even though I rarely went back to my notes, I found that if I didn't write it down in class I wouldn't remember it during the test.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:41 AM

@NeoTifa: You should see my Calculus notes from last year. My teacher hated them b/c they looked more like code than formal Calculus. :P

... I play games on my calculator during math class....

Lame, unless you're playing Evaluate that Integral. Math is fun. :wub:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

View Post5thWall, on 26 October 2010 - 09:37 AM, said:

...I found that if I didn't write it down in class I wouldn't remember it during the test.

Repetition is one of the ways to learn something. Actively writing something you've read or been told has been shown to imprint it better in your memory than if you didn't write it down.

As a personal example, my 8 year old brought home his first 9 week report card a couple of weeks back. A's across the board and one F: spelling (but he got an A in reading, go figure). Our solution since then has been that he writes his spelling words three times each and spells them out loud as he writes them down. Do that 3-4 times per week before his spelling test. Spelling tests since then have all been A's.

Repetition and active memorization (writing and saying things out loud) work very well. Ergo note taking mandates in some high school classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »