6 Replies - 802 Views - Last Post: 26 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

#1 earlgrey  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 10
  • View blog
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 26-September 10

What is your passion and why?

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:21 AM

Hello, just thought I would as everyone which language is their passion and why? I know languages are suitible to different taks, but that aside what language has that special little place in your heart <3.

I personally like Java because it was the first OOP language i started learning after moving on from VBA/VB6. It may take alot longer to make an application using Java than some languages but it is immensely rewarding.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is your passion and why?

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5481
  • View blog
  • Posts: 11,762
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: What is your passion and why?

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:38 AM

Dead horse beat.

Read back through the forums. Personal passions, preferred coding languages etc. has been talked about and debated ad nauseam.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 earlgrey  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 10
  • View blog
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 26-September 10

Re: What is your passion and why?

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:07 AM

View PosttlhIn, on 26 October 2010 - 08:38 AM, said:

Dead horse beat.

Read back through the forums. Personal passions, preferred coding languages etc. has been talked about and debated ad nauseam.


Well excuse me for not trawling through the archives as if I have nothing better to do with my time. Also your dead pan reply is hard to take seriously when you are dressed as a clingon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5481
  • View blog
  • Posts: 11,762
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: What is your passion and why?

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:23 AM

Steve Martin said:

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 26 October 2010 - 08:38 AM, said:

Dead horse beat.

Read back through the forums. Personal passions, preferred coding languages etc. has been talked about and debated ad nauseam.


Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me


LMAO. :w00t: Do you really think anyone dressed as a Klingon is expecting to be taken truly seriously? Or is hurt if they aren't. Come on. Lighten up.

If you have the time to start the topic with the implied expectation to participate in it and the numerous responses you hope it would generate... then yeah, I guess I figure you have time to use the site search feature first, if only to save yourself a lot of wasted time. But hey, that's me. Nobody locked down the topic. Maybe 500 other people will jump in here and prove me wrong - as often times happens. I'm okay with being proven wrong. I generally learn a lot when it happens.

Tell ya what, I'll even open the flood gates:
I code in C# because that's what my boss pays me to do.

My passion however is living, not working. I hike, travel, explore and shoot photos.
My web site
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 earlgrey  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 10
  • View blog
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 26-September 10

Re: What is your passion and why?

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

So you don't have a language that inspired you to code, just for the money?

Also it is good hiking in the lake district in england. Beautiful scenery.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5481
  • View blog
  • Posts: 11,762
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: What is your passion and why?

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:55 AM

View Postearlgrey, on 26 October 2010 - 09:32 AM, said:

So you don't have a language that inspired you to code, just for the money?

Also it is good hiking in the lake district in england. Beautiful scenery.


Computers inspired me to learn to code. The language was just a requirement for the system.
Keep in mind that I'm a bit older than you.
My introduction to home computers was a TRS-80 model 1 when they were first introduced in 1977. The only coding option was to type in programs in BASIC and save them to cassette tape.

Later came the Commodore VIC-20, then the Commodore 64. I even had an SX-64. With that came assembly language.

More recently came C, C++ and currently C#.

I find the language to be a means to an end. This decade the language of choice is C#. Maybe later it will be F#. Later it will be Kflat. Who knows?

It's like shooting or photography. A specific model of rifle or camera did not inspire me to take on shooting or photography. Shooting and photos inspired me to find a rifle and camera that got me the results I wanted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 earlgrey  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 10
  • View blog
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 26-September 10

Re: What is your passion and why?

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

View PosttlhIn, on 26 October 2010 - 09:55 AM, said:

View Postearlgrey, on 26 October 2010 - 09:32 AM, said:

So you don't have a language that inspired you to code, just for the money?

Also it is good hiking in the lake district in england. Beautiful scenery.


Computers inspired me to learn to code. The language was just a requirement for the system.
Keep in mind that I'm a bit older than you.
My introduction to home computers was a TRS-80 model 1 when they were first introduced in 1977. The only coding option was to type in programs in BASIC and save them to cassette tape.

Later came the Commodore VIC-20, then the Commodore 64. I even had an SX-64. With that came assembly language.

More recently came C, C++ and currently C#.

I find the language to be a means to an end. This decade the language of choice is C#. Maybe later it will be F#. Later it will be Kflat. Who knows?

It's like shooting or photography. A specific model of rifle or camera did not inspire me to take on shooting or photography. Shooting and photos inspired me to find a rifle and camera that got me the results I wanted.


I remember having a Commodore 64 when I was a kid, computers have always inspired me to find out how things work. I wonder if the computers of this generation will inspire anyone in the way so many retro machines inspired others. I can also remember trying BASIC on an Amstrad PCW, I can't remember the exact version it may have been Locomotives own brand. I guess I was asking the question because Im interested in computing history and how people and languages have developed together.

Maybe I should change the question to "Which computers and languages inspired you?"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1