• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 1723 Views - Last Post: 23 November 2010 - 11:20 AM

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Phones

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

My contract is about to permit an upgrade on phones and I was wondering which type of phone would be the best to get. On AT&T as of now.

I was leaning towards an iPhone but at the same time the Droids look pretty interesting.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Phones

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Phones

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:57 AM

View PostLemur, on 31 October 2010 - 07:47 AM, said:

My contract is about to permit an upgrade on phones and I was wondering which type of phone would be the best to get. On AT&T as of now.

I was leaning towards an iPhone but at the same time the Droids look pretty interesting.

Well, Droid is a Verizon product. I switched to verizon for the droid. I like the phone, but the bare package is expensive. mine runs about $97.00 a month. I like it, but I will definately go cheaper the next time around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

iPhoneI've had them since version 1. They get handed down to wife, son then daughter. Everyone love theirs and the only gripe is about getting the hand-me-down and not the latest-greatest-and-most-expensive <laugh>. Recently I felt they were right and everyone got 3gs so everyone is same-same and can quit complaining.

When my 83 year old mother-in-law can be shown how to work it inside of 5 minutes, then you know "it just works" like it should.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

The Galaxy S phones are pretty sweet. There is pretty much one per carrier and while they vary in features they aren't entirely that different. They are very well rated as well. The HTC EVO is too but that's only on sprint. The sprint ones are 4G so if you can take advantage of it that's a nice feature. Sprint also has the cheapest plans.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

If you want to stick with AT&T, you might as well just go with the iPhone 4, and crack it to get access to the free non-itunes apps.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

View PostKilorn, on 31 October 2010 - 01:20 PM, said:

If you want to stick with AT&T, you might as well just go with the iPhone 4, and crack it to get access to the free non-itunes apps.
I second the motion
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:47 AM

IPhone if you are not up for switching carriers. If you are up for switching, the HTC Evo is pretty awesome(Sprint), as is the Droid X(Verizon).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

Looks like all the nice Droid based on AT&T are locked down from all 3rd party apps without a lot of hastle. iPhone it probably is then. Had high hopes for the Captivate until I saw the app deal...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:54 PM

I guess I should have added that I just went through some free range phone shopping and ended up with a Samsung Epic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:34 PM

View PostSpeedisaVirus, on 01 November 2010 - 08:54 PM, said:

I guess I should have added that I just went through some free range phone shopping and ended up with a Samsung Epic.
My condolences. Where do we SMS virtual flowers?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:50 AM

View PostLemur, on 01 November 2010 - 11:07 PM, said:

Looks like all the nice Droid based on AT&T are locked down from all 3rd party apps without a lot of hastle. iPhone it probably is then. Had high hopes for the Captivate until I saw the app deal...

That's not entirely correct(or you worded it incorrectly). You can download 3rd party apps from the Android Market just fine. The problem is downloading/installing apps from websites or other places outside of the Android Market.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:05 AM

I have a Samsung Galaxy S. Love it! Although if I were buying a new phone now I would find one with Android 2.2. Lots of cool things in there. (Like Flash support!)

My brother has a Nokia phone with Symbian. That one is pretty nice as well. Not as "app friendly" as Android or the iPhones, but there are some nice apps available nonetheless. My second choice after Android 2.2. (The devices come and go. It's the software I care about.)

I'd stay away from the iPhones. Don't really need Steve babysitting me or "freeing" me from random things.
(Had to do it :P)

Then there is always the Nokia 5110. You can't go wrong with that one! (I saw one get dropped into a glass of milk mid-call... he just picked it up, shook it a bit and continued the conversation :))
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

My roommate has a Samsung Captivate (AT&T GalaxyS phone). It's really nice. I wish I had it. I know a few people with GalaxyS phones, and they all love them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:26 AM

View PostAtli, on 02 November 2010 - 11:05 AM, said:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S. Love it! Although if I were buying a new phone now I would find one with Android 2.2. Lots of cool things in there. (Like Flash support!)

Yeah, that's been the boner but they are supposed to be rolling 2.2 out for them VERY soon. Was supposed to come out last month I believe but the rumor is they are doing a staged roll out and are just about to start with Europe. We should have it before the end of the year...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:36 AM

man up and dont get an iphone. there are still good android phones on at&t, like the samsung captivate. The new windows phone 7 are coming out next week(in the US) and i've actually heard really good things about them. No, they arent as mature as the android or the iphone OS, but its looking like they will be pretty nice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +