How do you test your pages?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 2351 Views - Last Post: 02 November 2010 - 05:57 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Cross browser compatibility testing

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:53 AM

When I design a website I start off testing in FireFox and only after I have completed the site do I test in IE 8, Opera and Safari.

I use an online render to test IE 5.5, 6 and 7.

How do you test your pages?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Cross browser compatibility testing

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cross browser compatibility testing

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

I test for IE8 first, as it's the browser with poor web standards support. Once I have the design cracked in IE8, I go and test it in the latest versions of Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Safari. I then boot my Ubuntu and test it in Firefox, Konquerer and Firefox. As for IE6, IE7, I don't even bother unless the client pays me for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

I write with firefox and firebug, because it's far and away the best development tool. Then I test in chrome. Once I'm happy with the site, and I've checked the code is all valid (where I can) I test in IE7 and IE8. My IE testing is with two Windows XP snapshot VMs - much better than IE8's IE7 mode which is only about 80% accurate or browsershots or something which isn't dynamic)

At the end of testing I'll try in current Opera and Safari on a Mac (sometimes the same browser doesn't work the same on Macs)
I don't test in IE6 unless explicitly asked.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:18 PM

View PostRyanRobinson, on 31 October 2010 - 03:24 PM, said:

I test for IE8 first, as it's the browser with poor web standards support. Once I have the design cracked in IE8, I go and test it in the latest versions of Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Safari.
That doesn't make sense. Testing markup against a buggy browser can only produce buggy results.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:00 PM

Interesting - I can understand why testing in IE first would have it's benefits - I mean if it works in IE 9 out of 10 times it would work in everything else.

When I start testing the layout is normally the same in FF, IE8 and IE7 so I normally only need to worry about IE 6 and 5.5 - and there I only do enough to make it look decent. The % of people still using 6 and 5.5 aren't enough to warrant the time spend on making it pixel perfect.

Do any of you guys use Expression Web - I'm thinking of changing over from Dreamweaver?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:10 AM

View PostShado3225, on 01 November 2010 - 05:00 AM, said:

Interesting - I can understand why testing in IE first would have it's benefits - I mean if it works in IE 9 out of 10 times it would work in everything else.

When I start testing the layout is normally the same in FF, IE8 and IE7 so I normally only need to worry about IE 6 and 5.5 - and there I only do enough to make it look decent. The % of people still using 6 and 5.5 aren't enough to warrant the time spend on making it pixel perfect.

Do any of you guys use Expression Web - I'm thinking of changing over from Dreamweaver?

Honestly, the aim of the game shouldn't be to be making a website that looks pixel-identical in every browser. If you do that, you're probably doing it by forcing things, and every user has the capability of overriding things like colours, fonts and so forth. For instance (and just for an example that might be of interest, not trying to cover everything), if you make it look swish in chrome, with animated css, look good in firefox with rounded corners and plain in IE with... nothing... that's fine. If a client complains that in FF the font is slightly different or the border is larger than in IE, then that's their prerogative, but ideally you could ask them whether either looks good or bad. If neither looks bad, then there isn't a problem. End-users aren't going to be making those criticisms.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:27 AM

What moopet said. Writing workable markup for IE is like adjusting rabbit ear antennas for over the air TV. The only way to test standards compliant markup is to use the best standards compliant browser you can find. Then hack for IE but the quirks and bugs of IE are well known, as are the hacks to fix it.

I've never used Expression or Dreamweaver so can't comment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

View Postdrhowarddrfine, on 31 October 2010 - 03:18 PM, said:

View PostRyanRobinson, on 31 October 2010 - 03:24 PM, said:

I test for IE8 first, as it's the browser with poor web standards support. Once I have the design cracked in IE8, I go and test it in the latest versions of Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Safari.
That doesn't make sense. Testing markup against a buggy browser can only produce buggy results.

I do it for IE8 first as it has the most market share. I code my websites to XHTML strict and when I get it cracked in IE8 and it works, I can bet 9.5/10 it will work in all of the other browsers.

Also moopet, if you design all of your work pixel perfect, you know your design will be consistent across all of the browsers. To be sure of this, I use a CSS reset which resets the browser specific styles it has built-in for h1 tags etc.

I'm only speaking from experience, as I have only coded websites for IE8+ and all of the other major browsers.

This post has been edited by RyanRobinson: 01 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

View PostRyanRobinson, on 01 November 2010 - 05:23 PM, said:

I code my websites to XHTML strict and when I get it cracked in IE8 and it works,

and then you serve it as HTML to make it available for IE *gg*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

View PostRyanRobinson, on 01 November 2010 - 10:23 AM, said:

I do it for IE8 first as it has the most market share.
Then you are coding to the browser and not to standards. Since IE does so many things wrong, you have to hack the modern browsers. It's far easier to only have to hack one inept browser, IE, than have to hack the other proper ones.

I code my websites to XHTML strict
@Dorm beat me to it.

The other problem with using IE as your reference is you can't use any modern techniques since these don't work or are unavailable in IE.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

View Postdrhowarddrfine, on 01 November 2010 - 01:30 PM, said:

View PostRyanRobinson, on 01 November 2010 - 10:23 AM, said:

I do it for IE8 first as it has the most market share.

Then you are coding to the browser and not to standards. Since IE does so many things wrong, you have to hack the modern browsers. It's far easier to only have to hack one inept browser, IE, than have to hack the other proper ones.

I code my websites to XHTML strict
@Dorm beat me to it.

The other problem with using IE as your reference is you can't use any modern techniques since these don't work or are unavailable in IE.

I know it gets served as HTML otherwise it wouldn't render it at all. I just wanted to sound fancy :rolleyes:

In all my time of web designing websites (2 years) in IE8, Chrome, Firefox etc. I have never had to hack any other browsers once I've got it to work in IE8. And yes, all of the websites I have coded for all of the modern browsers have all been validated to XHMTL Transitional and Strict and passed and looked the same in all of the modern browsers.

And one reason why I haven't used modern techniques such as rounded corners in CSS3 is because W3C haven't made it a standard yet. Believe me, I can't wait until they do but for now I will only be using them for my personal projects.

This post has been edited by RyanRobinson: 01 November 2010 - 03:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

View PostRyanRobinson, on 01 November 2010 - 03:16 PM, said:

And one reason why I haven't used modern techniques such as rounded corners in CSS3 is because W3C haven't made it a standard yet.
CSS 2.1 was only finalized about two years ago. Everything in the standard must be implemented in browsers before CSS3 will be finalized, not for many, many years. Don't hold yourself back. Better yet, don't let IE hold you back.

Standards never create anything. It's always based on implementation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:13 AM

View PostRyanRobinson, on 01 November 2010 - 10:16 PM, said:

I know it gets served as HTML otherwise it wouldn't render it at all.

then why bothering with XHTML? if you can write proper markup, HTML is as good as XHTML.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:34 AM

Interesting!

It always interests me to find out how other people do things. Sometimes I learn from it, sometimes not.

For instance I would never build a site for IE, in my limited experience I have found that by starting off in FF I am able to build a site that looks the same in most browsers and I don't know if it is my coding style but by doing what I do I only have to make minor adjustments to get it looking semi ok in IE 5.5 and 6. IE 7 and 8 normally renders the same as FF.

As for XHTML - I hear about it, never really looked into it much and can't see that I would as I love HTML. SO what's the difference between the two, am I missing out on something?

As for doc type I always use strict - guess it suites my personality and working style.

Well I got expression web 2 yesterday, unfortunately it's not version 4 but baggers can't be choosy so I will be messing around with that for today. Hopefully it is a suitable substitute for DreamWeaver till they get the Windows 7 bug fixed. At first glance it looks like DreamWeaver crossed with Word and a little PhotoShop Elements thrown in for good measure. Will see how it pans out.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:45 AM

View PostShado3225, on 02 November 2010 - 10:34 AM, said:

As for XHTML - I hear about it, never really looked into it much and can't see that I would as I love HTML. SO what's the difference between the two, am I missing out on something?

one of the most important differences is error handling. if there is a markup error in HTML, the browsers do their best to cover up for it, in XHTML they instantly quit with an error message (the so-called "Yellow Screen of Death" (YSoD)).

the advantage of XHTML is that it’s machine readable (an XML parser is simpler than a HTML parser) and you are (forced to) writing proper markup.

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 02 November 2010 - 03:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +