11 Replies - 493 Views - Last Post: 01 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Get out and vote tommorow!

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

(at least for those of us in the USA)

This isn't meant to be a political discussion (I don't care what you believe). I just want to encourage everyone to vote.

I am voting!

who else?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Get out and vote tommorow!

#2 supersloth  Icon User is online

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Get out and vote tommorow!

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

I ALREADY VOTED
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:09 PM

I'm pissed, because I don't turn 18 for another two months, so I can't vote. :plain: At least I can vote for the presidential election in two years.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 01 November 2010 - 01:21 PM
Reason for edit:: Fixed math mistake.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:12 PM

you mean in two years...

and probably going to vote. Though getting a straight answer about the guys in my area is fairing on the annoying side. I can't stand it when all you hear in the papers and on the radio is 3 asshats making fun of each other. Thanks guys, can you now tell me what YOU stand for?

Instead I gotta dig for the info, which also is full of media paroting those very same accusations.

Argh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:15 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 01 November 2010 - 12:12 PM, said:

you mean in two years...

and probably going to vote. Though getting a straight answer about the guys in my area is fairing on the annoying side. I can't stand it when all you hear in the papers and on the radio is 3 asshats making fun of each other. Thanks guys, can you now tell me what YOU stand for?

Instead I gotta dig for the info, which also is full of media paroting those very same accusations.

Argh.

That is extremely frustrating. I dont care about the attack ads, just state what you want to do in office and I will decide to vote for you or not.

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 01 November 2010 - 12:09 PM, said:

I'm pissed, because I don't turn 18 for another two months, so I can't vote. :plain: At least I can vote for the presidential election next year.

Wow, I thought you were older. (no offense).

making me look like an old coot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

As what occurs every few years... voting day is my birthday. Last time it was Kerry/Bush.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:23 PM

@lordofduct: Fixed, thanks!

@AlbuquerqueApache: No offense taken. :)

That is extremely frustrating. I dont care about the attack ads, just state what you want to do in office and I will decide to vote for you or not.

This. If someone really screwed up, leave it to the media to bring it to light. The media does this so much better than politicians.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:44 PM

View PostAlbuquerqueApache, on 01 November 2010 - 02:07 PM, said:

(at least for those of us in the USA)

This isn't meant to be a political discussion (I don't care what you believe). I just want to encourage everyone to vote.

I am voting!

who else?

I'd like to add a big caveat to that:

Get out and vote tomorrow...as long as you have SOME frickin' idea what you're voting for.

This has been a personal piss off point for me for a long time now. Simply encouraging people to cast a vote isn't enough. In fact, it's exceptionally bad if they don't know what/whom they're voting for. I truly don't want to be ruled by people elected by a majority of idiots.

I'm from Florida and I lived through the 2000 election debacle and heard every single lameass joke about Florida voters there was. You know what? The majority of the issues with the vote in Florida that year came from people not having the first clue as to what they were doing...and, it turned out, that the majority of those people who had the most trouble were the very ones who didn't bother to read a ballot or the instructions for how to properly mark your vote on one. Truly, if you can't take the privilege seriously enough to even read the frickin' instructions well enough to do what a damn chimp could do after being shown one time how to do it...please get out of the booth and let the rest of us decide how things should be run.

I'm all for participating in the election process in this country but for crying out loud, it's more than simply picking all the (D) or ® people on the list. That's why we're in the mess we're in today. The people we're voting for will be our REPRESENTATIVES in Congress. They're truly supposed to be there to see to it that the interests and wishes of the majority of the people in the district that elected them are fairly and properly heard and recorded...they're NOT the local representative of whatever political party...at least they're not supposed to be. That's parliamentary democracy. This is representative democracy. Please, inform yourselves as to the positions of the candidates on the ballot and make an informed choice. Don't just step into the booth and play connect the dots with the ballot.

I scribble on a blog every once in awhile and last week, in response to a request from my wife, I researched the ballot initiatives that'll be showing up in the voting booths here in Georgia and, at the prompting of a friend, I cut pasted the body of the email I sent off to the wife as a blog entry. That has been the most viewed blog post by far for me this year...and it's only the questions we'll be collectively answering here in GA as to whether/how we'll be modifying our state constitution. Things like local taxes, changes to the way the state can do business, environmental questions...they're all on those ballots and they're all just as important as the local clown/liar you'll be putting in/returning to office.

So, ya'll do your homework (the League of Women Voters tends to have good summaries of the ballot initiatives) and edumacate yerself before you confuse the voting booth for the handicapped restroom, okay?

...and THEN get out and vote.

EDIT: These two sites are also good resources for getting info: FactCheck.org, Politifact

This post has been edited by Craig328: 01 November 2010 - 01:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:49 PM

View Postlordofduct, on 01 November 2010 - 04:12 PM, said:

you mean in two years...

Argh.

You will come to find out that no politician really stands for anything other than getting elected/reelected. Once they are in office, they don't give a rat's ass about you. Politicians use smear campaigns because they don't want to talk about the issues we are going through. They are simply trying to make the opponents look worse than they do in hopes that you will not vote for the opponents.

And in all likelihood, most of the smear campaigns are either overly exaggerated or out right lies, but since most people won't do their own research, these smear campaigns are quoted as truth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

I have to agree with Craig on that one for the most point. I too am from Florida.

I didn't vote 2000 (was my 17th birthday), but I voted every time since, including 2004 which came with a repeat return to Florida again. Felt like 2000 all over again. Difference for me though, being independent people were screaming at people like me in my area (palm beach county) about how the independents stole votes from Al Gore, and they did it again in 2004 (really, cause indies mean democratic if the they don't vote indie?).

As craig said, these guys are our representatives! And our voting for who the hell we want to vote for is us saying out loud that this person stands for what we agree with. And yes in the case of 3rd party, he/she probably won't win at this point (though that's just because you all refuse to vote 3rd party because you think they have no chance anyways... self fulfilling prophecy it sounds like to me), but that percentage of votes that they take is a message to all of you that there's a group of people with the balls to say they want something different!

And yes that extends to even the tea-baggers (who I don't agree with at all). Though I wished that turn came a different way, it's better then never at all.

View Posteclipsed4utoo, on 01 November 2010 - 12:49 PM, said:

View Postlordofduct, on 01 November 2010 - 04:12 PM, said:

you mean in two years...

Argh.

You will come to find out that no politician really stands for anything other than getting elected/reelected. Once they are in office, they don't give a rat's ass about you. Politicians use smear campaigns because they don't want to talk about the issues we are going through. They are simply trying to make the opponents look worse than they do in hopes that you will not vote for the opponents.

And in all likelihood, most of the smear campaigns are either overly exaggerated or out right lies, but since most people won't do their own research, these smear campaigns are quoted as truth.

I'm not such a pessimist or cynic about it to think all politicians are only there to get elected/reelected. One of my biggest idles is in politics, but I'm not going to get into that man as it usually comes with a pile of contention.

And I think we all know the methods of a smear campaigns. It's why we call it a 'smear' campaign. It's a bit of a pejorative in and of its own. If you were telling honest truth, people probably wouldn't use smear which implies "to blur, sully, vilify, or soil"

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 01 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

The thing to keep in mind is, in the United States anyway, you're voting for a person and not a party. Pick any other human being you know. Now consider: do you and that person agree on every single thing? Chances are, you don't. In fact, every person running for office is going to say things you agree with or can get behind and they'll say things you don't agree with and positively can't support.

It's up to you as the voter to decide who the better candidate (liar) is. Every single election cycle I'm continually surprised that an objective scorecard website hasn't really been built that records the promises made by the candidate and then, should they be elected, their voting record vis-a-vis their promises. Now, the way that legislation is done today, it's hard to keep track of a candidate's stated views versus their voting record because a law could be introduced to fund 100% free abortions for children as young as 5 (something most would likely disagree with) but that piece got attached to a funding bill to keep the soldiers in Afghanistan in hot food and bullets for another 6 months (something most would probably support) and because your representative supports the troops, he/she votes for it...then gets tarred and feathered as a supporter of children having abortions. It's a stupid system and needs to be scrapped and each item coming before Congress should get an up/down vote on its own merits...but they don't.

Anyway, check your candidates out and try and forget the D or the R next to their name (or L or I for Lordofduct) and weigh the candidate on their own merits. We can't hold these bozos to be responsible if we're not equally responsible in their selection.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 01 November 2010 - 02:09 PM, said:

I'm pissed, because I don't turn 18 for another two months, so I can't vote. :plain: At least I can vote for the presidential election in two years.

Me too. I turn 18 the May before. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1