6 Replies - 1219 Views - Last Post: 06 November 2010 - 10:03 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Expert Programmers' Advice Requested!

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:44 PM

I am posting this under C/C++ because I solely familiar with C, and I know there are plentyyyyy of experts here that are incredibly well- rounded among many languages. With that said, I would like some expert input. I am going to school for engineering, though I have become very interested in programming through a class I'm taking. I would like to know the steps I need to take to become a well- rounded programmer. So if anyone could provide some insight as to how they got to where they are today, that wouuld be great. I am mostly interested in learning this material on my own, because my college program has limited programming requirements.

Let me break this down. I am new to computer science/ information technology on the technical level. I would like to know the top languages out there that every good programmer should be familiar with along with any books you could recommend in learning these languages. I don't know anything as far as web development or web infrastructure but would like to become knowledegable in that as well. I figure that's also important to becoming a good programmer. I'm also interested in advice in general when it comes to programming. Basically, if I come up with an idea for a moneymaking program, I want to be able to implement it by myself (or with the help of you guyssss :bananaman:). A.K.A. I want to be a baller like you! Thanks for your help/ time!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Expert Programmers' Advice Requested!

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Expert Programmers' Advice Requested!

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

Web affiliate sites are a good way to make some money on the side. Check out the Amazon affiliate group and marketplace.
Ebay and Paypal also have similar options for affiliate sites.

As far as languages and books go..

C++ <- Savitch
Java <- O'Reilly Head First Java
There is another book for beginners called, "Programming the Web."

The more you practice the better the "baller" you will be.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

View Posttrixt.er, on 01 November 2010 - 10:15 PM, said:

Web affiliate sites are a good way to make some money on the side. Check out the Amazon affiliate group and marketplace.
Ebay and Paypal also have similar options for affiliate sites.

As far as languages and books go..

C++ <- Savitch
Java <- O'Reilly Head First Java
There is another book for beginners called, "Programming the Web."

The more you practice the better the "baller" you will be.

Thanks for the reply. I'm partnering up with my cousin to get our feet wet in the Google marketing scene here pretty soon. It seems like if you do your homework and keep up with the trends, etc. it should bring in some okay cash. So I'm pretty excited. Amazon is one the of the first sites we'll be campaigning for, along with clickbank, and paydotcom. I'll check out the ones you mentioned for sure.

I'll also check those books out so I can really dig into some programming. Thanks man!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:02 PM

The Savitch books are pretty good. We used them as textbooks in my college C++ classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:47 AM

Definitely learn C++, it's an industry standard. As for books I recommend 'Programming: Principles and Practices using C++' by Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++. With the emergence of Mac/iPhone/iPad as major players, it may also be beneficial to learn Obj-C and the Cocoa/Cocoa Touch libraries. For this I recommend 'Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X' by Aaron Hillegass and 'iPhone Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide' by Joe Conway & Aaron Hillegass. I find Hillegass' style very easy to read and absorb.

Hope I helped!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:55 AM

MajorRager, it seems you're in pretty much the same place as I am... Really interested in programming, only knowledge of C, and Uni course that doesn't cater for software engineering. I'm starting to learn C++ and after that I'll most likely move on to C#, I bought a textbook on Visual Studio 2010 so that I can learn how to use that as well (can't be restricted to Notepad++ all my life haha).

Do you guys think C# is a logical step after C++? I know I might be thinking a bit far in advance as I'm still learning C++ but sure what's the harm in asking? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:03 AM

I think it is a very common misconception that you NEED to know a certain language to be a good programmer. In my opinion it is more important to be a good programmer than to know a bunch of language. That is to say that I think a person who uses good practices and understands why a code does what it does is more valuable than someone who knows how to create a program in Java, C++, Python, Perl, C, Clojure, and Brainfuck, without actually knowing why the programs do what they do.

As an employer I would sooner higher someone who is a good programmer and doesn't know the language that my team uses, than someone who knows the language that my team uses but is a bad programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1