7 Replies - 1215 Views - Last Post: 05 November 2010 - 01:41 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Trying To Set up a web server

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:21 AM

Now I'm pretty new to this so please bare with me. I'm coding a site from scratch but can't seem to figure out how to set up a web server.

Is there any way I can set up a server on my personal computer, design and build the site ther, and then transfer it to a domain after?

I know this is probably a complex question but thanks.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Trying To Set up a web server

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Trying To Set up a web server

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

This isn't really complicated.

First of all you would want a development environment, and a production environment.

A development environment would be on your own machine. This software is what you need. XAMPP is a server software that has a bundle (Apache, Mysql, PHP, Perl). This will allow you to code on your own machine for the mean time. It's much quicker then uploading to a server after every save. To run a file you just have to go to:
http://localhost/foldername/filename.php

It's as simple as that. To save your files you must save it in the htdocs folder. The htdocs folder is where you installed xampp. Usually on the C:\ drive.

Now for the server part. You should only pay for hosting when your done coding. Then you can rent a server for such little costs. I think the best one is Media Template.

Now to transfer file over to the server, you must have an FTP client. Connect to your server with the user and pass you chose. Navigate to where you have your files on your computer. Simply drag and drop them over. Sometimes if your website has a lot of files (Especially images) it might take some time. But not much.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Daniel
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

Ahh thank you very much. I understand now. I have a good amount of knowledge with FTP too so that should help.

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:11 AM

I got everything set up as far as I know. Umm is there any good tuts on XAMPP, well any that you would recomend?( I have not checked this site yet but I will after this post).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

You don't need a tutorial on how to install xampp. If that's what you meant.

XAMPP's installer pops up. You then choose where you want to install it. Usually it will be on the C:\ by default. Remember that XAMPP will create a folder called xampp in the location specified. You then hit install and it will do the rest for you. After the installer is done. A Command prompt will pop up and ask you some questions. Just answer the questions as necessary. XAMPP will not start up by default, you must run the xampp control panel.exe and hit start on both the mysql and apache. Also click on the checkbox to the left of both mysql and apache. This will install it as a service. When your machine starts the program will also start without even being logged in.

That's it. If you run the installer you will know what to do.

Hope this Helps,
Daniel

If I helped you please give me a rep!!!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

Well not quite, checking Apache and MySql did help me though. When I open up the XAMPP Control panel and there is all the functions, and the functions on the local host site, do I need to study those an know what they do, or not really?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

View Postjosac, on 03 November 2010 - 10:27 AM, said:

Well not quite, checking Apache and MySql did help me though. When I open up the XAMPP Control panel and there is all the functions, and the functions on the local host site, do I need to study those an know what they do, or not really?

It might be useful to know how HTTP works. There is only two functions that are really useful in XAMPP. It's MYSQL and APACHE. You can search for web servers, and how they work. But that's not necessary.
Though MYSQL is something that you must learn if you want to use it. But this isn't as hard as learning a hole language. If you already know PHP, then MYSQL will fit in there fairly nicely.

So if you want you can learn how HTTP and web servers work. Also you may want to learn about client-side and server-side languages and how they work. Other than that just learn the languages necessary, PHP/MYSQL, HTML/CSS. These would be ideal. But you may use Other languages but that's something completely different. As XAMPP is only for PHP and PERL.

Hope this Helps,
Daniel
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:41 AM

All you really need to know is that Apache listens to port 80 requests, & MySql listens to port 3306. Then you just need to understand the difference between a routable ip address & a non-routable ip address. Once you know the difference between those, you just have to forward port 80 requests from your outside interface to your server, & block port 3306 (unless you are hosting databases that other sites will use).

That's really about it. If you only host one site, then you just set the values in httpd.conf for Apache, start the service, & you are done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1