2 Replies - 1334 Views - Last Post: 04 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Presentation Ideas

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

Hey,

I had an interview this week for a C# developer job working at an investment trading company, and have been invited back in a week to do a three day assessment so that they can actually make the choice on who gets hired.

Now, I don't have any problems with the technical sides of things, the only thing that I can't really decide on is what to do for the presentation so that they can see how I cope with talking to a group.
So I have come here to ask for your opinions on what I could do as a five minute presentation. All I have been told is that it should "cover an overview of yourself, and an IT related topic".
Basically just looking for ideas on what kind of topic would be a good choice, as far as I can tell the "overview of yourself" is just how you manage the presentation.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Presentation Ideas

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Presentation Ideas

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:25 PM

In my opinion, Databases are a safe bet simply because of their widespread usage. You can use any programming language, but many applications you will be writing will use a database of some sort. Specifically, I would discuss databases in terms of enterprise-grade applications and other dynamic database-driven applications. Then most importantly, tie it back to the business and the end users somehow. It shows your audience that you are thinking about the whole picture, from the ground up, and that you have a good perspective on the development process and are focused on the end user.

Good luck on your presentation. Hope you get the job. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Presentation Ideas

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

I would recommend stick with something that you are very comfortable with and that will be used a lot in your industry. Most people are afraid of public speaking, and a large percentage of those who aren't afraid of public speaking simply aren't very good at it, whether they realize it or not. Sticking to a topic that you know well will just make the experience that much better, because you don't have to worry about saying something that isn't correct.

Also, having a topic that is relative to the job is important because as an employer I don't case AS MUCH about skills that you won't be using while you are working for me. That is not to say that I don't care at all, these skills are just less important. With that said, make sure that you have a different topic than the other interviewees. I don't see much risk here as there are so many to choose from, but it still can't hurt to make sure.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1