3 Replies - 925 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2010 - 05:55 AM

#1 Guest_LAB*

Have to hire a developer but am stuck

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

Hey, all that can help.

I've been tasked with hiring a .net developer for our small company, but I don't know enough programming to size up a competent one.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Project synopsis:

We currently have a php/jquery website parked on Linux server using mysql. But our custom data management program is VB . net / SQL. We want to not only convert web stuff to asp.net but enhance our data management program with new controls and capabilities.

We have had much misfortune thus far with contractors. One will know just enough to get us a little bit closer to our goal then something happens. In addition, our company will need full ownership/rights to the code. For those two reasons, we would like to bring on a FT programmer.

Should we hire a "screener" or is there another way?

Thanks for any info on this.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Have to hire a developer but am stuck

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Have to hire a developer but am stuck

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

View PostLAB, on 08 November 2010 - 10:31 AM, said:

Hey, all that can help.

I've been tasked with hiring a .net developer for our small company, but I don't know enough programming to size up a competent one.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Project synopsis:

We currently have a php/jquery website parked on Linux server using mysql. But our custom data management program is VB . net / SQL. We want to not only convert web stuff to asp.net but enhance our data management program with new controls and capabilities.

We have had much misfortune thus far with contractors. One will know just enough to get us a little bit closer to our goal then something happens. In addition, our company will need full ownership/rights to the code. For those two reasons, we would like to bring on a FT programmer.

Should we hire a "screener" or is there another way?

Thanks for any info on this.

If you do hire a screener, you better make sure they have a background in programming. Too many of these headhunter agencies go after keywords on resumes instead of actual knowledge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

View PostAlbuquerqueApache, on 09 November 2010 - 10:51 AM, said:

If you do hire a screener, you better make sure they have a background in programming. Too many of these headhunter agencies go after keywords on resumes instead of actual knowledge.

Are you saying they need a screener for a screener? :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:55 AM

View Postjavadork, on 09 November 2010 - 12:48 PM, said:

View PostAlbuquerqueApache, on 09 November 2010 - 10:51 AM, said:

Are you saying they need a screener for a screener? :bigsmile:

LOL....just about. I'm realy trying to say that a screener that knows less than the original poster isn't going to help in selecting a candidate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1