Am I Wasting My Money

wasting money on a BS school?

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 1022 Views - Last Post: 12 November 2010 - 12:26 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Am I Wasting My Money

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:25 AM

I am wanting to change careers and work in the Tech Industry. I am new to the entire thing, and have heard many different opinions from many different people. What I decided was to go back to school and finish my education, so I am pursuing a degree in Computer Information Systems. My issue is I have to support my family, so I have to continue to work while going to school. I work 48 - 60 hrs a week(day or night) so a conventional college doesn't work for me, so I am attending Devry University. Does anyone know if a degree from this school worth the money, or am I just waisting it. I know they are accredited so it is an actual degree unlike ITT Tech, but I am just not sure if it will even make a difference other then just exposing me to the subject matter. Any advice?????

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Am I Wasting My Money

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Am I Wasting My Money

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:43 AM

I have no degree, nor experience in the real world with jobs, but I guess my opinion wouldn't hurt here. I think that the school would be better than nothing you know? I mean, you can't learn anything by not attending, unless you learn on your on, but it's a little easier with guidance. To me, I would go ahead and get the degree. If you don't feel comfortable with DeVry, then try looking for a college near you that offers an online curriculum. :dontgetit:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:56 AM

I would definitely look into online, I am finally in the home stretch of a conventional degree in computer science, also with a family to support, and I have also worked well in excess of 40 hours per week for the duration. It gets old real quick, it's tough on you, tough on your marriage, and tough on your kids if they're too young to understand why you can't go and play with them outside because you have a pile of homework to do. This year I got a good internship working in my field but with only 25 hours per week and now we can barely make rent.
Before jumping into this, make sure that you and your wife understand exactly what you're getting into, it's a very long, bumpy road, and if she's not willing to support you 100% then your marriage probably won't survive. As far as what a degree from a given school is worth, I think 5 minutes on Google would be far more valuable than anything you can learn here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

Honestly, our experience with DeVry graduates in the interview process has not been a positive one. In your case, maybe it gets your foot in the door and you prove yourself; but be prepared for many employers to not look favorably upon a degree from DeVry and similar schools.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:39 AM

Yea, I heard they and University of Phoenix get looked down upon as "not real schools". I dunno. Sorry.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:48 AM

UMUC has an excellent online program/component.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:37 PM

DeVry is good as a tech school.

I can't believe that in a place like California you couldn't find a university that has a flexible program.

Hell, I live in po-dunk Indiana and several schools here offer flexible education paths.

UoP, DeVry (I have heard good things about this school), etc. might get looked down upon, but who says you only have to get 1 degree?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

I take night and morning classes, and my college offers pure or joint online classes. Besides, most classes don't require attendance, so you can just read your book then email classmates for updates on hw, tests, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:26 PM

Exactly! Though in things like Math I would recommend attendance. I told my buddy that attendance wasn't required and he failed Algebra 1 (College version) because of it.

I would attend things like:

Math (any kind)

Science (any kind)

Accounting

The rest, if attendance is optional, you can do online, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1