3 Replies - 4037 Views - Last Post: 09 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

linux/ GNU version of WPF

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

Hey, so I've been learning WPF lately, and if I can summarize the experience in just one word I would say: Unique. I don't think I've ever programmed anything, or even thought in a way similar to the way WPF, XAML, and code-behind work together. I like it, and I think it's well worth the time cost of learning it (and it's probably the best way to do it?) but will I ever be able to apply what I've learned in WPF to a free language? Is there something out there now? (I think I saw similarities in a proprietary scripting language of an MMO, but that had no IDE, and I don't know if it had this command routing system).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: linux/ GNU version of WPF

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: linux/ GNU version of WPF

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

Here's Mono's take on it
Mono WPF
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

If I am not mistaken, there are only two technologies that use XAML: WPF and Silverlight. Now there may be similar technologies out there, but those are the only two that use Microsoft's version of XAML(don't even know if there is a "non-Microsoft" version).

What do you mean by to "apply it to a free language"?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

View Posteclipsed4utoo, on 09 November 2010 - 01:57 PM, said:

What do you mean by to "apply it to a free language"?

I just mean that it's a bit odd the way you set up WPF stuff (treeviews in particular) ...where you have triggers set up in XAML to call actual .NET code and change... stuff. I'm still learning it, so it's hard for me to explain beyond that. I hope I'm not off base entirely when I say that it's rather 'unique'. So this unique style of programming/GUI building is what I'd like to be able to apply elsewhere.

And when I say free language, I mean a language that is cross platform and not dependent on one of the big two OSes, e.g. like how we need to be registered to use their IDEs to compile and stuff commercially (not that I've needed to use it at my parents mom & pop shop yet, but I think I might in the near future and licenses scare me when I need to register for them :sweatdrop:).

EDIT: I was misinformed regarding my licensing qualms: "...there are no licensing restrictions for applications built using Visual Studio Express Editions." -Microsoft

This post has been edited by NotarySojac: 09 November 2010 - 07:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1