4 Replies - 3715 Views - Last Post: 10 November 2010 - 12:26 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Physics/Math Used In Game Development

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

I have always wanted to be a software developer, but I never really found anything that really just felt like it would be the right job for me. I have developed a fondness for Mathematics and Physics recently and I think that work in physics/mathematics/AI game development is right for me.

What sort physics and math could I expect to encounter working in physics/mathematics/AI game development?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Physics/Math Used In Game Development

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Physics/Math Used In Game Development

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:11 AM

Basic calculus (what you get in Calculus I) is pretty much a must, but more extensive knowledge is always welcome. Matrices, logarithms, vectors and trig functions are just some of the elements you will have frequent encounters with.

As of phyiscs, you need to be more than familiar with classical mechanics and optics since that will be pretty much the foundation for everything (e.g. movement, reflections, shadows).

But that's just the essentials. Going beyond these will certainly help. Don't forget about AI theory
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

A solid understanding of Vector math as well as a more than basic familiarity with Matrices will definitely benefit you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

View PostCore, on 10 November 2010 - 08:11 AM, said:

Basic calculus (what you get in Calculus I) is pretty much a must, but more extensive knowledge is always welcome. Matrices, logarithms, vectors and trig functions are just some of the elements you will have frequent encounters with.

I got by with basic algebra for years. But really, if you know Linear Algebra, you'll be well off.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 10 November 2010 - 11:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:26 PM

I am taking Linear Algebra I next semester and I plan on taking Linear Algebra II next year. Would General Physics I: Mechanics and General Physics II: Oscillations, Waves, and Electromagnetism be enough physics, or should I plan on taking further courses?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1