46 Replies - 12480 Views - Last Post: 04 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Giving Up Programming Already

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:26 PM

I started to program two days ago.
I'm already giving up.

Why?
Well, firstly, it seems that even when looking at tutorials, I have no idea what I'm doing and what my understanding is. I'm just following a tutorial, without any understanding.
Secondly, there seems to be little to learn from.

I don't know what else to say.

What should I do? Quit and wait for college?
Keep going without understanding?
Just confused. :\

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Giving Up Programming Already

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Giving Up Programming Already

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

POPULAR

I started to learn how to build houses 2 days ago.
I'm already giving up.

You could replace this with all kinds of technical skills.

You only put 2 days in, what did you expect to learn in 2 days (in which you probably did other things as well). Did you understand Algebra the first two days you took the class in school?

If you give up this easy, you aren't going to make it very far. Get off your ass and try a little harder. If you actually made the choice to attempt programming, that means you have some level of interest in it, so give it some effort. Maybe it'll practice you in how to learn something with out some teacher/master/director pointing you down every path you need to go. Explore damn, exploring takes a little while, but it damn sure expands your experience... it helps in teaching you how to think on your toes.

Oh and don't just stick to 'tutorials'... tutorials are give a fish style learning. You learn how to do ONE thing and they barely teach you what really is going on. Get your hands on some books about programming (and they don't even have to be language specific... get books about a paradigm you like, today's popular one is OOP). Read the text, explore the examples in the text, then read a tutorial and try to figure out how the text matches the tutorial. Ask yourself "how did the author of this code apply the concepts of programming to invent this block of code." Dig through open-source code, better because a lot of tutorials tend to try to hard in describing a specific problem, and a large collection are written by novices. Where as open-source projects tend to be by more experienced coders who also deal with more real world problem solving that recur frequently. Dig through any code really... and just think about it, examine it, look for patterns.

Then go find some problems to solve, and solve them, with out a tutorial!

Think about it, it's like learning a language. You don't learn the 'rules' of English when you first learn English. You're handed a bunch of text, and a couple words, and your asked to just USE and EXAMINE it. Then as time passes, you find new words, teachers give you new words, you invent new words. Through experience you learn how these words combine just from hearing other people use them. It's not until you've had a decade of experience with the language when you actually began to learn the actual 'structure' and 'rules' of English (hence why I think the foreign-language classes of highschool are failed... they decide to teach you rules like conjugation and the sort. I live in south florida and the spanish speaking kids would fail this shit... wonder why? Because they just 'know' how to do it... English conjugates exist as well, yet do you ever stop to think about the difference between ran/run/runs?)

So personally (not to say this works for everyone)... I approached programming like I approach foreign language. You know that phrase, "it's easiest to learn French to move to France and surround yourself with it." I found it leaps and bounds easier to just bury myself in programming talk, textbooks, communities (like this forum for instance), and just try to keep up with everyone. You sound like that bumbling fool for the first few months... Then before you know, just one day, you wake up... and you're speaking C++.

The biggest problem; getting over the fear of looking like an idiot. I'll make it easy for you... you are, we all are, in comparison to someone else you're going to be an idiot on something.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 14 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 21
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

POPULAR

What you should do, Is first make a very basic program such as a calculator, and then build on it, Work out how to add square roots, multiplication etc.

Also if your brand new to programming and need a language to start off with, I'd say C# is a great language to learn first because it's very structured and there are alot of people on this forum I'm sure that can help you with it, But as lordofduct said:

Then go find some problems to solve, and solve them, with out a tutorial!

But the first few days it will be very confusing, If your still confused you could ask a friend who knows the basics to teach you, e.g how to declare variables, making your own methods and so on. After a little while you'll begin to like it and start creating more interesting and complex applications.

Important bit is, You should never give up, Just keep having a go at it and eventually you will understand it.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

Anything worth learning takes a long time to learn.

Buy a good programming book, follow it to the T, figure out a little application you'd like to create to solve a problem you're facing and done.

Learning how to program well will take you at least 2 years.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

I've been toying around with programming for around a year and im just now starting to see myself getting better. Buying a book really does help. When you do these tutorials try expanding on them or removing a line of code to see what happens. Best of luck :]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:36 PM

Don't worry man! I a total noob first.

I tried c++. Mainly because everyone said it was the shit. I bombed it. All I could get it to do was system commands.

So then my friend told me about Adobe Flash. It's that thing for making 2d games and whatnot. There, me and my friend made a few games. Him being on the graphics team, me being the programmer. Programming in Flash (or Actionscript) is very easy. It lets you know how things work.

From there, I took up c#. Make sure you use Visual C# express. It's much better then typing in the coordinateness yourself. It's also VERY easy to learn! Just take a few beginner tutorials before taking on any big projects. You must learn how to build a shed, before you build a house.

And then from there I learned PHP. I also started expanding and started learning C++ again. It's all rather easy now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:51 PM

POPULAR

Found a great article for new programmers to read. Read it!
Was This Post Helpful? 9
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:52 PM

Well.. it's not for everyone. If you feel this is something that sparks your interest you will adapt, overcome, and achieve.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:11 PM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 14 November 2010 - 08:51 PM, said:

Found a great article for new programmers to read. Read it!

Very useful article, I will show it to some people I know who are struggling to learn programming too..
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

I noticed that the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. There's also someone somewhere that is miles better than you. But by reading programming blogs, visiting programming forums and generally loving what you do you're instantly better than the code/monkeys who just know what they need to know for their job. There's always work for people who know their craft.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#11 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:44 PM

I'll go ahead and move this to the Corner Cubicle. :)

@Sergio Tapia: Awesome article! *Bookmarked*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

View PostTechyRadhika, on 14 November 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

I started to program two days ago.
I'm already giving up.

Why?
Well, firstly, it seems that even when looking at tutorials, I have no idea what I'm doing and what my understanding is. I'm just following a tutorial, without any understanding.
Secondly, there seems to be little to learn from.

I don't know what else to say.

Keep going without understanding?
Just confused. :\

When i first started i used to be really confused about why somethings were giving me errors and how to fix them, i use to be really bad at debugging too but now i can usually fix any errors that come up in my programs. You should get a good book, tutorials are good (if they are aren't made by a beginner) but a good book will also expand your knowledge. Usually nobody can do much after only a few days but if you keep too it (i think you should) you'll be able to make a calculator soon. What programming language does your dad use? If it's C he could help you, even if it's not C i'm sure he could still help you with the basics and the lingo of it, like explain what variables are for example.

I don't think you should quit and then try and start back when you're at college because i know that when i go i'll be able to ace tons of the assignments because the first year will be for beginners.

I hope you keep to it and don't give up :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for the replies. Still iffy about it, but I'm going to go look for a book on B&N.
Anyone know any good ones?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

Why would you take a programming class at college, devoting the next unknown years for programming, & yet you've already given up after two days.

My advice, choose a different career. The next time you give up on programming, it's going to cost you thousands of dollars.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

@OP I suggest you take all the great advice given here and put forth a strong effort. Like others have said, programming is not for everyone. If after a month or two of really dedicating yourself you still feel like giving up, take no2pencil's advice. I hate to tell anyone that they should give up on anything, but if you are willing to make that decision yourself after just two days then perhaps it's not for you. College is expensive, and this is not the type of decision you want to make 2-3 years into a degree.

Go at it again, really dedicate yourself for a period of time longer than two days. It's not going to all make sense at first, programming takes years of practice to become relatively efficient.

Here is a great list of programming books put together by Martyr2
http://www.dreaminco...y-of-languages/

Pick a language, probably a high-level language like C# or Python. Languages like these allow you to easily learn the basics of programming while abstracting the details of how everything really works. That type of knowledge is gained through experience and research.

-alias
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »