iMac & MacBook Pro

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 3217 Views - Last Post: 20 November 2010 - 11:41 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

iMac & MacBook Pro

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

So I have the opportunity to spoil myself a little bit at the beginning of 2011. There is a problem though; I am very torn between replacing my enormous desktop system that I built a couple of years ago (window system with dual monitor set up) with a brand new 24” iMac or replacing both my Dell 15” laptop AND my desktop system with a brand new 15” or 17" MacBook Pro and keep both of my 21.1” monitors that accompany my desktop (for when I am at home working). Money isn’t going to be a problem with either of these options. I plan on visiting a Apple Store soon to spend a few hours just getting a feel for both options before I make the jump.

The reasons I want the iMac:

• I love the feeling of having a powerful and solid computer to come home to with a large screen. I like coding and programming on desktops particularly over laptops.
  • I like the idea of having a keyboard separate from the computer. It just feels more ergonomic and comfortable - which ties into the first reason.
  • With specs comparable to the MacBook, it seems to be cheaper for more power.

Reasons I want the MacBook Pro:

• It will be portable. I’m almost always in class or on campus so it will be beneficial to have a great computer to have while I’m on the go. I'm taking 18 hours in the spring and I'll be at school from 9am to 6pm everyday of the week.
  • I can use it as my desktop by extending the display to my current 2 monitors which would supply me with 3 screens (*gasp* amazing).

I mostly do web development, application development, & graphic/UI design. Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

This post has been edited by ninechances: 15 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: iMac & MacBook Pro

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: iMac & MacBook Pro

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:28 PM

I am a bit bias so take that into consideration here.

I have a Macbook Pro and I would highly recommend going this route. I don't like being grounded and if and when I need to get up and go with my laptop, I can. Can't really do that with the iMac. However I do have a 30" Apple Cinemas Display with it so that covers the screen issue. As for comfort, I use a bluetooth mouse and extra wireless keyboard so unless I'm on the go, the setup isn't any different than had I actually had an iMac or Desktop really.

My setup here:

Posted Image

As for what you use it for, it really depends on the specs you configured for your machine obviously. So I can't comment on that without knowing the full extent of the specs but if pricing isn't an issue, max that sucker out (I'm glad I did that with mine in hindsight).

This post has been edited by nooblet: 15 November 2010 - 09:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:45 PM

View Postnooblet, on 15 November 2010 - 09:28 PM, said:

I am a bit bias so take that into consideration here.

I have a Macbook Pro and I would highly recommend going this route. I don't like being grounded and if and when I need to get up and go with my laptop, I can. Can't really do that with the iMac. However I do have a 30" Apple Cinemas Display with it so that covers the screen issue. As for comfort, I use a bluetooth mouse and extra wireless keyboard so unless I'm on the go, the setup isn't any different than had I actually had an iMac or Desktop really.

My setup here:

Posted Image

As for what you use it for, it really depends on the specs you configured for your machine obviously. So I can't comment on that without knowing the full extent of the specs but if pricing isn't an issue, max that sucker out (I'm glad I did that with mine in hindsight).

Thanks for your advice. The more I think about the situation and my options, the more I'm leaning toward a MBP for some of the reasons you listed. If I do go that route, I will definitely be maxing it out as far as processor and RAM is concerned. I really don't gaf about hard drive space.

This post has been edited by ninechances: 15 November 2010 - 09:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:52 AM

View Postninechances, on 15 November 2010 - 08:45 PM, said:

Thanks for your advice. The more I think about the situation and my options, the more I'm leaning toward a MBP for some of the reasons you listed. If I do go that route, I will definitely be maxing it out as far as processor and RAM is concerned. I really don't gaf about hard drive space.

Unfortunately I disagree with you here. My friend did the same thing you're thinking about doing. He got the 128gb SSD instead of maxing it out like I did. He hates it now because he constantly maxes out and have to delete crap off his drive. I don't know how active you are in utilizing your current drive but for the purpose of avoiding issues like him, I didn't want to take the chance. Glad I didn't either..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

I have a Mac Book Pro 15" with the Core i7 and the matte screen ("Hi-res Anitglare").
I also have the 7200 RPM Hard drive.

I opted for the high speed drive but with max storage as it is my only computer. I have yet to do the monitor setup at home but have done it at work a few times. I love having my computing device portable and would suggest it to everyone.

This being said, if I had the money I probably would have went to the 256 or 512 SSD and up graded my server at home to have 2 - 4 Terra more and just used ssh when needed. As it stands I have about 1.5 terra on a slow box at home that hosts most of my media and a few backups.

Can't wait until I get a ~42" monitor / tv for my gaming systems and computer.

Side note. When you do hook your Mac Book [Pro] up to an external screen be sure to leave the lid up on the computer as all Mac laptop's (as far as I know) vent by the hinge of the monitor and need the lid to be up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

I agree with auggiecc87, I got the 512 SSD. The speed and limit are going to play important factors... In regards to the venting, it does vent out the back slit but it also helps to by a typical laptop cooler (I use one I had from my previous laptop), even though it doesn't blow directly into any vents per say, it does still keep the laptop cool which is still pretty important for daily at home use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

So when it comes to watching video's or anything graphic related will I see any change in playback or rendering such as lag?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:55 PM

Why not just build your own machine and you'll end up with more power for the same amount of money.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:59 PM

View PostDark_Nexus, on 16 November 2010 - 08:55 PM, said:

Why not just build your own machine and you'll end up with more power for the same amount of money.

'Cause I've already done that about 3 times in the past 4 years and I'm asking specifically for Apple related buying advice?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:24 PM

Couldn't help you. Wouldn't recommend an apple product for desktop replacement.

I understand though. You're tired of saving money.

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 16 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:53 PM

hahah Ubuntu.... :sleep1:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

what does ubuntu have to do with wasting money?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:11 PM

what does me building a computer have to do with me WANTING to buy a CERTAIN Mac?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:13 PM

more than mentioning random linux distributions.

i'll play along though:

hahah cheeseburgers... :sleep1:

EDIT:

Your choice isn't really that hard being that you won't take into consideration alternative avenues: Do you want a laptop or a desktop? Problem solved.

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 16 November 2010 - 10:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:32 PM

You're making it seem like I'm completely dumbfounded by my options...I was just asking for advice on the matter to get a feel for people that had similar setups like I was describing. Do you have either of those?

I understand why you commented in the first place but it's no secret that you can save money building your own system - I even stated that in the main post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +