• +
  • Last »

52 Replies - 3095 Views - Last Post: 13 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where do you like to code?

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:21 PM

Title kinda says it all.

I've been asking a lot of my fellow classmates this question recently and it seems that the common trend is in a dark room with a 6 pack of soda next to them at random hours of the night.

I personally found my self realizing that, with laptop in hand, I could virtually code anywhere. I for some reason find myself NOT wanting to code inside a little dark room but instead sitting on a beach or drinking a cocktail on top of a rooftop.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Southern California, but this question really hit me last Saturday night when I was with my wife and kid on the third floor of the brand new Santa Monica Mall. They put in this amazing seating area right out from some over priced restaurants where you can sit under the stars. I saw at least 7 kids there with their laptops mixing songs with their computerized DJ equipment and I couldn't help but tell my wife that I was jealous that I didn't have my laptop with me so I could sit down and spend the night coding.

Of course this lead to a fight and my wife storming off but hey, we all gotta dream right?

So if its not too much, mind sharing where you like or would prefer to code?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where do you like to code?

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Re: Where do you like to code?

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

I like to code in my room with the light, that's because my desktop is in there but i also have a laptop, i want to start coding while sitting in my backyard but i would end up just staring at my yard.

This post has been edited by Alex6788: 15 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

In the summer months, I like to sit out on the deck. I do my best work when I've had a cocktail because it seems to remove the issues that the day has left me to think about. In the winter, I actually sit and code with my laptop while watching TV. I guess I don't have the stress of deadlines. I don't code for a living and what I do is to help make my life easier in my day to day job so take my comment with a grain of salt. This is more a hobby for me. I've always loved to program since receiving a C=64 for Christmas back in the mid 80's and although I've written software for quite a few small companies, and helped design an automation suite for job shops, I've always had other responsibilities that weren't solely developing. So I guess, to stay on topic, I code as a stress reliever, it has completely replaced what used to be Doom, Quake and other "Blast your fucking friends to oblivion" type games and I like to do it anywhere I'm comfortable at the moment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:25 PM

Near My Whiteboard, or anywhere if i have a way to draw some things.
I've got a big Whiteboard and a lot of markers next to my laptop, it helps me stay focused on the "biger" task at all times, also i write some pseudocode, etc in there.

Also, my room has a nice view, wich is nice when I want to rest my eyes.

The 6-pack of soda IS a good idea though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:32 PM

Alcohol seems to be a pretty common factor here :rolleyes: Anyone familiar with the Ballmer Peak?

I do almost all of my programming on my desktop, except the small amount I do when I'm on campus between classes. For the most part I like it to be a dark room just because it isolates myself from distractions. I'd love to work outside but its always way to cold :P

I usually have a bag of pretzels and a brew or two when I'm working. If I'm on campus I might stop into the bar (Full service bar on campus... :yes: 44 taps).

This post has been edited by JaKWaC: 15 November 2010 - 07:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

I like to code when everyone else is asleep. No distractions and a very calm feeling from all the silence.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:32 AM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 15 November 2010 - 07:07 PM, said:

I like to code when everyone else is asleep. No distractions and a very calm feeling from all the silence.

Bingo. That's when I get most productive. Sometimes I can't even force myself to sit in front of the computer until after my wife and daughter have gone to bed. Sometimes, if I really need to get cracking, I'll stay at work, I have a pretty nice setup in my cubicle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:38 AM

I agree, but it is very odd when you're in an office around 1pm with everyone else sleeping on floors and shit and you're at your desking just coding away.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:48 AM

View PostChristoph, on 16 November 2010 - 07:38 AM, said:

I agree, but it is very odd when you're in an office around 1pm with everyone else sleeping on floors and shit and you're at your desking just coding away.

Everyone at your office takes naps at 1 in the afternoon!? I want a siesta!!! :(

My fav place to work...

in my office, music blasting, and a girlfriend in the bed whining that I pay more attention to my job than her.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 16 November 2010 - 08:49 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:04 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 16 November 2010 - 02:48 PM, said:

in my office, music blasting, and a girlfriend in the bed whining that I pay more attention to my job than her.

Hey, that sounds familiar too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:10 AM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 15 November 2010 - 10:07 PM, said:

I couldn't agree more. The bad part of that is, having a full time job that I have to wake up for at 6am everyday when my wife doesn't go to sleep until about midnight leaves me with rare chances to program with the house to myself. So I'm usually stuck just sitting at my desk after I get home from work and trying my best to ignore her and everything else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:45 AM

It REALLY depends on what I'm coding. If I need to be "in the zone" I have to be away from things. Plug in my headphones and pretty much glue myself to the screen. The library is a great place for this.

When I'm needing to be a bit more creative with something I'm doing, say front end webdev work or i'm at a cross roads for a bit of code i'm working on, I need to be in an open area. I live in an apartment complex with a great open air patio. Usually i'll bring my laptop outside and pace around (with headphones on).

On another note, I ALWAYS have a mini-notepad and pen on me in case an idea hits, especially with a piece of code i'm working on. You never know when inspiration can hit!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

I like programming with my friends in quiet room with much coffee. Other place where I like to programming is Starbucks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:41 PM

At my computer...?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -