• +
  • Last »

63 Replies - 6271 Views - Last Post: 23 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

The New TSA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:33 AM

If you've been following US news much, you've probably heard about what the TSA has been up to. They've added an "enhanced pat down" to their repertoire of tools to find malicious devices you might have on your person. What this means the TSA may pat you down using the front of their hands around your crotch, breasts, etc. This has resulted in plenty of jokes and strong opinions.

So here's your topics for this thread:

Funny TSA related images:
Posted Image

New meanings for the TSA acronym:
Obvious: Touching Sensitive Areas

And lastly, what do you think about the TSA feeling up your grandma/wife/mom/little sister. What do you think about them feeling you up? What happens when terrorists start hiding bombs in their butts... free prostate exam + security pat down?! Maybe a turn your head and cough at the same time?

Please to have you be sharin' your thoughts on the state of air travel in America (fuck yeah!)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The New TSA

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The New TSA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:51 AM

A pedophiles dream job. I can't imagine how this must be if you're black or arabic.

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 19 November 2010 - 08:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:56 AM

I can't imagine how this must be like if you're black or arabic.

Why? Are you suggesting there should be special treatment for someone because of their race or ethnicity?

In the end it's all just a friggin' charade. A determined terrorist will get on the plane somehow, at which point it's up to the passengers and crew -- who thanks to 9/11 are far more vigilant and willing to intervene in the event of unusual behavior -- to maintain some level of safety. Just how many potential/wannabe terrorists have been prevented from boarding a plane thanks to TSA procedures? And what about the cargo stored in the fuselage? How well screened is that, exactly?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:01 AM

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 19 November 2010 - 10:56 AM, said:

I can't imagine how this must be like if you're black or arabic.

Why? Are you suggesting there should be special treatment for someone because of their race or ethnicity?

No, but the reality is that certain ethnicities are targeted more. Edited before you jump on my neck.

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 19 November 2010 - 09:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:05 AM

Uh, no...the point behind this screening is EVERYONE is subject to it. There are already rumblings that Muslims will challenge this on religious principles, which, if such a challenge is upheld, just FURTHER makes this a nothing but a charade.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:07 AM

well I'm not familiar with actual process, but it seems to me that Arabic people will be especially hassled.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:07 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:12 AM

I caught this commercial on VH1's replay of SNL with Sarah Michelle Geller yesterday I feel it is applicable.

http://snltranscript...2bairline.phtml

[ SUPER: "A Message From The Men And Women Of Trans American Airlines" ]

Captain: September 11th, 2001 changed a lot of things about the way we live.

Stewardess #1: But, if you've traveled by air recently, you know that new security procedures at most airlines can make flying a frustrating and unpleasant experience.

Employee #1: But at Trans American, we don't believe that endless lines, early check-in requirements, or confiscating tweezers are the best way to prevent terrorism.

Captain: At Trans American, we have a better idea. We screen our passengers with a system we call "Racial Profiling".

Stewardess #1: You see, unlike other airlines, we at Trans American have noticed that airline hijackers always seem to be Islamic males, age 15 to 45, of Middle Eastern descent.

Employee #2: That's why, at Trans American, any passenger who fits that description is put through the industry's most exhaustive secuity check - including sodium-pentathol interrogation, strip search, and full body cavity exam.

Stewardess: Any passenger who doesn't, we leave the hell alone. That's a promise.

Stewardess #2: Some of our competitors take issue with our policies, and even say that, if you allow racial profiling, the terrorists have won. But we don't agree. I mean, why would terrorists want racial profiling? That's how you catch them.

Captain: Rest assured, at Trans American, we have no intention of changing the system that's given us the best security record in the industry. Fly with us, and you'll see why. And, by the way, you can bring your tweezers.

Voiceover: Trans American Airlines. Security. Reliability. Racial profiling.

I figured there were stats somewhere.. but the best I could find was a fox news post:

TSA: New Scanners Kept Many Illegal or Dangerous Items Off Planes This Year 2010.11.18

"This year alone, the use of advanced imaging technology has led to the detection of over 130 prohibited, illegal or dangerous items," TSA spokesman Greg Soule told FoxNews.com. The TSA would not disclose exactly what those items were, but it said they included weapons like ceramic knives and various drugs -- including a syringe filled with heroine hidden in a passenger’s underwear.

Can anyone else finds stats?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:12 AM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 19 November 2010 - 12:07 PM, said:

well I'm not familiar with actual process, but it seems to me that Arabic people will be especially hassled.

I'm not aligned to discrimination, but I'd rather tighter restrictions and more security to weed out more potential terrorists than the other way around. Also, Arabs and Muslims aren't the only people who receive additional scrutiny. My dad is diabetic and carries an insulin pump on his person. When we go to the airport, he's usually pulled aside and examined further. Is it annoying sometimes? Yah, a little. But when we look back at things like 9/11, we've only lost a few minutes, so in the scheme of things, it's not a big deal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:15 AM

Posted Image

Whee! Funny pictures!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:34 AM

I haven't had an issue the last few flights [every TSA person I've encountered has been very polite/respectful], but this is getting ridiculous.

The initial use of the machine was to allow people to choose between it and the regular metal detector. Now they "randomly" pick people to go through the machine (even if you're in the 'regular' line) and upon refusal you get a happy ending.

Completely worthless when you take into account that:

1. the machine may or may not be harmful to your health
2. the machine would not have been able to detect mr. underwear's device
3. the machine cannot see into body cavities

I've been through the machine once, probably would not go through it again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

So they have body scanners... ok, I don't like it, so I'd op out.

So if you opt out they do an 'enhanced pat down'... ok, this personally doesn't bother me. I've spent time in places where this pat down is actually pretty tame. But that's me.

So if you opt out of that and decide to not fly instead of being subjected to x-rays or have your junk manhandled. You're arrested and could be fined 10K...

err...

Now THAT I have a problem with. My biggest problem with it is that:

1) it's a long standing rule that many people didn't know about
2) now that it is known, I still hear them talking about this business on the news and they barely touch this part of the subject... if mention it at all.

I'm sorry, but there is room for not being in the know about that bit of information. And that's screwed up. I'm sorry, but I should have the choice of:

1)body scan
2)pat down
3)don't fly

not arrested and fined

Oh wait, I do have the choice "don't fly"... it's a preemptive choice though. So sorry airlines, you can suck on these.

------

As for profiling... I first off don't want this to get crossed w/ 'racial profiling'... the two are different.

I believe in profiling. It's what detectives have done for YEARS to find criminals. And it works. Does race come into profiling? Yes, because a lot of things come into profiling. Shoe size can come into play depending the crime. Does the fact race comes up during profiling make it 'racial profiling'? NO! 'racial profiling' is when you use bigotry to profile... which is far different.

But people want to get a hair across their ass because profiling some how selected them, and they want to scream 'racial profiling'. Which hurts many abilities to profile in any degree. Turning this bad light on the idea of profiling period... as if it is 'wrong' and 'persecutory'. For example...

example:

skinny, frazzled, sweaty, pimply, sunken eye, white guy, with stringy hair and a couple missing teeth. He has his arm around a saggy titted, pink tube top wearing, white girl, with the same bad hygiene. If this doesn't scream meth to you, you're freakin' retarded!

Is this a guarantee of meth? No... but if they're in a grocery store buying out all the sudafed... you damn sure bet there's a good chance they're buying for a cook somewhere.

I believe at the point of entry to an airport regular old profiling (not of the oh so confused 'racial' type) would be the most effective and the least intrusive (least, not no intrusion... but certainly better then a damn x-ray). Not the extreme of only profiling muslims or middle-easterners... That is racial profiling. But does that not mean the religion and race may come into mind by the officer performing the profiling? Of course it will... it's one of many things on a list they're probably looking for, and it's not a necessary thing on the list.

You know my problem w/ the x-ray the most. And there is no stupid fucking 'study' anyone is going to post saying "but it's equal to such a low dose it's negligeable"... yes it maybe is equal to barely anything for someone who flies once a year on holiday or something. But for someone like the traveling businessman who flies 5+ times a week... that's a pretty heavy dosage for him to be taking.

Last time I was at the doctor, even at the dentist. The damn doctors still wore the radiation tags, and stood behind lead walls, and put lead vests on me, when they x-rayed any part of me. The lowest I've seen the precautions was a small dentist in the ghetto who used a directed x-ray still wearing a large lead vest... and I did as well. And only turning it on for a split second.

There's GOOD REASON for that. And the fact a frequent flier could be scanned several times (or patted down) isn't healthy.

As KYA said:

1. the machine may or may not be harmful to your health
2. the machine would not have been able to detect mr. underwear's device
3. the machine cannot see into body cavities

and on his point 1... it IS harmful. Maybe only a little, but it sure as hell ain't good. It ain't even neutral. It's harmful.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 19 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:40 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

B9 beat me to pedobear!

I did run across this, which pretty much sums it up: http://www.theatlant...sistance/65390/

It also mentions the term that always comes to mind when I see this facade; security theater. Because, let's face it, looking like you're doing something is far easier than actually doing something.

Even real diligence, and the expense it entails, can't be completely effective. Someone who is determined to die in the completion of mission is impossible to always stop. Luckily for us, such individuals tend not to be the brightest bulbs.

The real thing that keeps us safe from terrorism is the general stupidity of terrorists. Groping glorified baggage handlers are not helping.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:43 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -