2 Replies - 10736 Views - Last Post: 21 November 2010 - 09:59 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Using IRC server for multiplayer server

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:17 AM

Hey guys,
I am working on a really small game. A thought occurred to me that maybe instead of writing my own server software I should just use modified IRC server.

That way I can write a client that connects and administrates the server...it would be full admin, and authenticate with each client. It seems like a decent idea, because I can have the client join several channels, one for server wide info, one for map based info, and another chat or something. That way I can give channels priority when the client is processing them.

With appropriate authentication process, it seems like it wouldn't be a half bad idea, because I'm definitely no professional when it comes to server/client interaction...or programming in general. One day sure.

What do you guys think?

Cheers Metric

EDIT:
I could also have a channel for each map...? Not a bad idea I think...from what I see there is IRC software out there that can be clustered as well...I wonder if you could use a clustered irc network for an MMO server engine?

This post has been edited by metric: 19 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Using IRC server for multiplayer server

#2 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Using IRC server for multiplayer server

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

Well architecturally you could.. I mean an IRC server is a multithreaded client server application that is capable of passing data back and forth through the server. I am not sure exactly how well it would be for scalability though. IRC networks tend to reach a critical mass and then experience problems from net splits, colliding data and managing connections (time outs etc). They were designed for passing along simple messages. I mean if you read the RFC on IRC server operations you will see that it expects messages to be of certain length or to be a specific format. Much of that will have to be redesigned to handle messages that are going to be a bit longer, perhaps with complex data etc.

Also you have to keep in mind that most games also need to transport binary data directly (like sending images etc) and while IRC does have things like the DCC send protocol built in, it often requires a separate connection, experiences troubles with firewalls often and can be really taxing on an IRCd.

Some of the largest IRC networks host about 100k people, half of which are not even chatting at any given time and consists of about 20-30 servers and they break down often. I am just not sure it is something that would scale well as is without heavy modifications. So heavy that you might as well create a multi-threaded client server app for the game itself.

But if it is a simple game as you suggest, may work. You should give it a try. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Using IRC server for multiplayer server

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for your insight!

You indeed brought up some very valid points.

I'm going to try and implement it I will let you know what happens.

Thnx Metric
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1