6 Replies - 3803 Views - Last Post: 27 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

#1 zfouant  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 26-October 06

Image Map not working with Mozilla

Post icon  Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

Here's my map:
<map name="Map">
<area shape="rect" coords="3,10,204,26" href="/Content/HumanRights/mediation.asp" alt="Community Mediation & Outreach" title="Community Mediation & Outreach"> etc. etc. </map>

In the status bar, when my mouse hovers over the link I see http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/[objectHtmlAreaElement]

I get a page not found when I click on the image link and this is the address that appears in the address window:
http://www.montgomer...LAreaElement%5D


No problem in IE.

uh.....Help!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Image Map not working with Mozilla

#2 Arbitrator  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 51
  • View blog
  • Posts: 530
  • Joined: 26-January 05

Re: Image Map not working with Mozilla

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

I took a look at http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/ and didn’t see the image map referred to in your post. You also didn’t provide any information on which link you were referring to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 zfouant  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 26-October 06

Re: Image Map not working with Mozilla

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:56 AM

View PostArbitrator, on 26 Oct, 2006 - 10:32 AM, said:

I took a look at http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/ and didn’t see the image map referred to in your post. You also didn’t provide any information on which link you were referring to.


http://www.montgomer...ights/index.asp is the url. I just downloaded the latest versions of both Firefox and Netscape; so it's working now in Firefox 2 but not Netscape of Firefox 1. I think it has to do with the asp template that calls the content within. None of the links on the page work in Firefox 1/Netscape; they all work in Firefox 2/IE.

This post has been edited by zfouant: 26 October 2006 - 11:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Arbitrator  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 51
  • View blog
  • Posts: 530
  • Joined: 26-January 05

Re: Image Map not working with Mozilla

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:34 AM

I wouldn’t worry about Netscape. They’ve chosen to base their rendering engine upon those of Firefox 1 and Internet Explorer 6, both of which are no longer the latest releases; in that case, it’s their job to maintain that their browser stays up-to-date with those browsers’ rendering engines. The browser has less usage than Opera or Safari and so is pretty insignificant.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 iamcenz  Icon User is offline

  • You wish you were my hand!
  • member icon

Reputation: 7
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,442
  • Joined: 26-March 01

Re: Image Map not working with Mozilla

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:40 AM

just because they didnt update their browser yet doesnt mean you shouldnt code for them. thats like saying, well it works in IE7 but not IE6, so everyone who used IE6 has to upgrade to IE7. BLEH!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Arbitrator  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 51
  • View blog
  • Posts: 530
  • Joined: 26-January 05

Re: Image Map not working with Mozilla

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:11 PM

View Postiamcenz, on 27 Oct, 2006 - 11:40 AM, said:

just because they didnt update their browser yet doesnt mean you shouldnt code for them.
The other factors considered, I still wouldn’t code for it (a personal suggestion). It’s not like Internet Explorer which has so many users that authors have almost no choice. You can’t please everyone.

View Postiamcenz, on 27 Oct, 2006 - 11:40 AM, said:

thats like saying, well it works in IE7 but not IE6, so everyone who used IE6 has to upgrade to IE7. BLEH!
I never said that I subscribe to such an argument. Again, Internet Explorer is a major exception to the rule with so many more users that there’s no comparison. People that are using anything prior to Windows XP Service Pack 2 won’t even have access to IE7 so I doubt authors will drop support for it anytime soon.

This post has been edited by Arbitrator: 27 October 2006 - 12:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 zfouant  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 26-October 06

Re: Image Map not working with Mozilla

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

View PostArbitrator, on 27 Oct, 2006 - 12:11 PM, said:

View Postiamcenz, on 27 Oct, 2006 - 11:40 AM, said:

just because they didnt update their browser yet doesnt mean you shouldnt code for them.
The other factors considered, I still wouldn’t code for it (a personal suggestion). It’s not like Internet Explorer which has so many users that authors have almost no choice. You can’t please everyone.

View Postiamcenz, on 27 Oct, 2006 - 11:40 AM, said:

thats like saying, well it works in IE7 but not IE6, so everyone who used IE6 has to upgrade to IE7. BLEH!
I never said that I subscribe to such an argument. Again, Internet Explorer is a major exception to the rule with so many more users that there’s no comparison. People that are using anything prior to Windows XP Service Pack 2 won’t even have access to IE7 so I doubt authors will drop support for it anytime soon.


Actually, IE was never a problem, 6 or 7. But this conversation does exemplify the various schools of thought on this subject. Our website gets between 1.5 and 2 million visits per week and over 90% are from IE users, so that has to be a consideration for us in how far we will go to meet the needs of users of other browsers. anyway, since I uploaded Firefox 2 this has become not much of a problem so I guess that our response will be to forget trying to make it work in Netscape or Fireworks 1, which is a relief to me as I'm overworked already :). Thanks for all your input.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1