Pong Tutorial

gameBall undeclared

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 3002 Views - Last Post: 22 November 2010 - 10:39 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Pong Tutorial

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:56 AM

Hi,
I'm coding the game timer, but am noticing that the gameBall is undeclared and don't see it in the tutorial. Can anyone tell me why?

Private Sub gameTimer_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles gameTimer.Tick

'Set the computer player to move according to the ball's position."
        If gameBall.Location.Y > 5 And gameBall.Location.Y < Me.Height - 40 _
        - paddlePlayer.Height Then _
        paddleComputer.Location = New Point(paddleComputer.Location.X, gameBall.Location.Y)

' Move the game ball.
        gameBall.Location = New Point(gameBall.Location.X + xVel, gameBall.Location.Y + yVel)

' Check for top wall.
        If gameBall.Location.Y < 0 Then
            gameBall.Location = New Point(gameBall.Location.X, 0)
            yVel = -yVel
        End If

' Check for bottom wall.
        If gameBall.Location.Y > Me.Height - gameBall.Size.Height - 45 Then
            gameBall.Location = New Point(gameBall.Location.X, Me.Height - gameBall.Size.Height - 45)
            yVel = -yVel
        End If

' Check for player paddle.
        If gameBall.Bounds.IntersectsWith(paddlePlayer.Bounds) Then
            gameBall.Location = New Point(paddlePlayer.Location.X - gameBall.Size.Width, _
            gameBall.Location.Y)
            xVel = -xVel
        End If

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 22 November 2010 - 10:00 AM
Reason for edit:: Fixed end code tag and moved to VB.NET

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Pong Tutorial

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Pong Tutorial

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:05 AM

In the context of this tutorial, I think the gameball is a picturebox. Need to see the whole thing to be sure though.

Yes, if you are referring to the "Create a fully-functional pong game" tutorial, the gameball is a picturebox.

Now, whats a room without furniture? We need to add some controls now, so add three PictureBox controls to the form. Set the Name properties to paddleComputer, paddlePlayer and gameBall. For both paddlePlayer and paddleComputer, set the Size property to 16x128. For gameBall, set the Size property to 20x20. Select all three controls, and set the BackColor to a color of your preference; I chose LimeGreen.

Cited from: http://www.dreaminco...onal-pong-game/

This post has been edited by hlx: 22 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

Yes, hlx is correct,
This is directly out of the tutorial:

Now, whats a room without furniture? We need to add some controls now, so add three PictureBox controls to the form. Set the Name properties to paddleComputer, paddlePlayer and gameBall. For both paddlePlayer and paddleComputer, set the Size property to 16x128. For gameBall, set the Size property to 20x20. Select all three controls, and set the BackColor to a color of your preference; I chose LimeGreen.

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:21 AM

View PostCharlieMay, on 22 November 2010 - 09:14 AM, said:

Yes, hlx is correct,

Interesting. I do have a picturebox control for the ball. But, it's still underlined in blue as being undeclared. Admitting that this is the most advanced coding for me to date.

Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

View Posthifistyle, on 22 November 2010 - 09:21 AM, said:

Yes, hlx is correct,

Interesting. I do have a picturebox control for the ball. But, it's still underlined in blue as being undeclared. Admitting that this is the most advanced coding for me to date.

Thanks!

Did you ensure that the name property of your game ball picturebox was set to gameBall?

This post has been edited by hlx: 22 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:39 AM

View Posthlx, on 22 November 2010 - 09:26 AM, said:

View Posthifistyle, on 22 November 2010 - 09:21 AM, said:

Yes, hlx is correct,

Thanks!

Did you ensure that the name property of your game ball picturebox was set to gameBall?

Thanks!

That was it, alright. I had it set to "paddleGameBall".

John
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1