Or am I wrong

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1593 Views - Last Post: 06 December 2010 - 11:53 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Graphics does not a web designer make

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:25 AM

I've been going through the job ads on a number of on-line classifieds used by recruiting agencies and I have come across a phenomena which has been bugging me for the past couple of days.

It seems people don't really understand the difference between a web designer and a graphics designer. They advertise a position for a web designer then list all the requirements needed by a graphic designer.

Now I'm a firm believer that the two are totally different and that a graphic designer does not a web designer make.

What are your thoughts?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Graphics does not a web designer make

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Graphics does not a web designer make

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:43 AM

yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:51 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 26 November 2010 - 08:43 AM, said:

yes.

mmm, yes what?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:51 AM

Really though if you expect to get anywhere by doing web design and web design alone you're screwed. For the same reasons hat programmers need to know multiple languages, so graphics designers need to know more than one medium. If you're a one trick pony that just won't cut it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:57 AM

True, a web designer should have the skills to design the graphics need to make their site presentable but does that mean they are a graphic designer or a web designer.

I often look at websites that are build by graphic designers and wonder if they ever consider how their sites behave if the user has images disabled, or what would happen it more content had to be added.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:31 AM

View PostShado3225, on 26 November 2010 - 06:51 AM, said:

View Postsupersloth, on 26 November 2010 - 08:43 AM, said:

yes.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:47 AM

View PostShado3225, on 25 November 2010 - 11:57 PM, said:

True, a web designer should have the skills to design the graphics need to make their site presentable but does that mean they are a graphic designer or a web designer.

I often look at websites that are build by graphic designers and wonder if they ever consider how their sites behave if the user has images disabled, or what would happen it more content had to be added.

I agree. A lot of personal websites I've seen created by graphic designers seem very poorly held together. I know I wouldn't want to purchase a website design from someone who makes those ridiculous image heavy sites. That's just personal taste though I guess. It depends how often the content on your site changes too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:46 AM

View PostShado3225, on 26 November 2010 - 02:25 AM, said:

I've been going through the job ads on a number of on-line classifieds used by recruiting agencies and I have come across a phenomena which has been bugging me for the past couple of days.

It seems people don't really understand the difference between a web designer and a graphics designer. They advertise a position for a web designer then list all the requirements needed by a graphic designer.

Now I'm a firm believer that the two are totally different and that a graphic designer does not a web designer make.

What are your thoughts?

I'm under the impression a graphics designer is a person that has very good knowledge of color theory, rules of three etc. All of those things combine to let the designer create beautiful images and proof of concepts.

Then the web designer is a person that knows HTML, CSS, Javascript well and can create a working version of the designers view.

Is this correct?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:20 AM

I thought they were hand in hand, as in, you generally hire a graphics designer and a web designer together to work on it, so the graphics person can make shinies while the web person makes clickies.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:32 AM

Pretty much my thoughts
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:02 AM

So why on earth do people place an ad for a web designer then list all the skills a graphic designer should have. Me thinks there are stupid people in this world and the sad thing is they don't even know they are stupid!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:11 AM

Usually they go hand in hand in the Real World™. Just like a C# programmer is expected to know how to use Windows Forms.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

No, web design is web DESIGN which implies a subsection of design practices pertaining to usability and correctness in a web environment. The type you're looking for is a web DEVELOPER

Let's say Web Design is PHP and Poster Design is Ruby for the sake of argument. Just because a programmer knows PHP and knows it well does not mean they necessarily know Ruby well, but they would have a general idea of the basics within a few days. This does not make them a Ruby programmer by any stretch of the mind, but many will try and say they are out of either ego or desire to make more money. It's up to the client to differentiate between a seasoned Web Designer and a seasoned Graphics Designer.

Not all rectangles are squares but all squares are rectangles. That type of concept.

Web Designers are not required to know HTML/CSS/Javascript to perform their task. Now before you all start flaming me, it is heavily encouraged that they do but that is not always the case, and the key point you have to understand. Normally coding designers are far more capable than non, but I've seen some notable exceptions that I've coded before. To any newbie who reads this, you need to attempt to learn code, don't take that as an excuse not to, unless you're a modern picaso (which, lets save each other some grief, you're not.)

The typical combo is a Web Designer and a Web Developer. Developers often times take care of the actual coding, whether or not the designer knows coding themselves. If the designer does it makes them take things into more consideration which greatly shortens the process of creation and delivery. The developer is often times in charge of server side programming, though most of the time there are two or more.

Me, I'm both. I do design but I can code any design I make as well as set up server side programs and other such devices.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:52 AM

I can't make shinies... :/ I can make clickies though....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

View PostGorian, on 26 November 2010 - 05:52 PM, said:

I can't make shinies... :/ I can make clickies though....

spoken from my heart, though I can make a hell of a clickie
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +