11 Replies - 2165 Views - Last Post: 28 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Web Server Hardware

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:05 PM

When building a web server what kind of hardware should you get? What hardware is more important? What should you consider?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Server Hardware

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web Server Hardware

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

How about this setup:
Attached Image
Is there anything else that I'll need?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:10 AM

If your planning on installing an OS from a CD/DVD I would definitely recommend a DVD-RW drive. It could also be used to backup files onto DVDs.

I would also recommend getting 2 hard drives and putting them into a RAID 1 configuration.

Two 1TB hard drives in RAID 1 would equal 1TB not 2TB, but if one of the drives were to fail the data won't be lost. All you would have to do is replace the failed hard drive and rebuild the array.

Hope this helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:24 AM

Hmmm. That sounds interesting. I'm going to install the OS via USB.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

The hardware looks good. If you're intending to install from USB, make sure the motherboard supports it. No reason why it shouldn't these days, but no reason not to double check.

It would probably be better to get 2x 2GB or 2x 4GB sticks of RAM, so you can run it in dual-channel.

Also; 4U server chassis is big. If you're not going to stuff it with hard drives, then I'd recommend downsizing to a 1U (if you can fit the cooler in, which you should be able to) or a 2U server - save yourself some space.

What're you going to be using the server for?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:29 AM

View PostMorphiusFaydal, on 07 January 2011 - 11:24 PM, said:

The hardware looks good. If you're intending to install from USB, make sure the motherboard supports it. No reason why it shouldn't these days, but no reason not to double check.

It would probably be better to get 2x 2GB or 2x 4GB sticks of RAM, so you can run it in dual-channel.

Also; 4U server chassis is big. If you're not going to stuff it with hard drives, then I'd recommend downsizing to a 1U (if you can fit the cooler in, which you should be able to) or a 2U server - save yourself some space.

I'll be using it to run several websites including a forum. I'm going to need a lot of hard drive space and probably a few servers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:03 AM

View PostEnvXOwner, on 08 January 2011 - 06:29 AM, said:

View PostMorphiusFaydal, on 07 January 2011 - 11:24 PM, said:

I'll be using it to run several websites including a forum. I'm going to need a lot of hard drive space and probably a few servers.

In that case, yeah, the 4U case is probably the way to go. Stuff it with more hard drives as you need. With only one physical server like that, are you going to be running virtualized dedicated servers, or setting up Apache/IIS/lighttpd with multiple websites? If you say you need a few servers, then virtualization is one option, if you have a beastly machine, otherwise, if you get a few physical servers, you may want to get smaller cases and possible lower spec'ed hardware, depending on what each site needs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:45 AM

My servers aren't going to be virtual dedicated servers. Yeah I'll have Apache, MySQL, PHP, etc. With multiple websites. I may need a few.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:32 AM

7 websites can easily run on one decent specced machine. 2TB max would be sufficient along with a dual core and 4GB of RAM. Your 2TB of storage may have to be re-thinked if your going to have a forum that has loads of users.

The real concern you should be having is the amount bandwidth your server will have available. If you're hosting your websites from home I doubt your broadband connection and plan will provide sufficient bandwidth or support especially during peak internet usage times. These will put a strain on hosting a forum that generates alot of traffic.

This post has been edited by RyanRobinson: 25 January 2011 - 07:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, I only get 250 GB of bandwidth. I had the Comcast Residential package. I don't have internet right now, I'm using my neighbors and moving this week :P. I'm going to get a job and may try to persuade my mom to get the Business Class package and I'll pay for some of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Java Enthusiast
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

Have you thought about getting a domain yet?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

I already own two domains.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -