• (2 Pages)
  • +

27 Replies - 8034 Views - Last Post: 31 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Eyes Of The Dragon 4.0!

Post icon  Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:16 AM

Ok, so Eyes of the Dragon 1.0 never got finished. I started the tutorial series over and it was going well. XNA 4.0 has been out for a while now so I decided I might as well migrate to that. At the moment I'm liking XNA 4.0 and I think Eyes of the Dragon will get finished this time around. I'm only on tutorial 2 at the moment but I still have a huge code base to work form and what is most time consuming is writing the tutorials about it.

What I implemented in the first tutorial was a basic input handling class to deal with keyboard input. I also implemented the state management because if you don't do that right from the beginning I've found you get yourself into a world of hurt down the road.

I'm currently working on tutorial two. It is going not too badly. So far I've added in game pad support to the input handler. I've also added in a GUI control managing class and am working on a couple GUI controls. I think part three will be about the tile engine.

I've moved a lot of code into reusable class libraries. I'm hoping that it will end up more of an RPG engine than an actual game. It is free open-source software. I would just ask if you use my project you'd give me a credit in a commercial game, with my web site URL, and a link back if you have a web site.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Eyes Of The Dragon 4.0!

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Eyes Of The Dragon 4.0!

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:48 AM

Screenshots! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:12 PM

Screenshots will come when there is something worth posting a screen shot of. I'm in the process of implementing the basic framework for the game. Over the past couple days I started work on the tile engine. I plan to work on it a little more tomorrow.

I have to say, I'm impressed with the changes they've made to the SpriteBatch class. It is so much more flexible and gives you a lot more options when it comes to rendering 2D graphics. Just by changing my call to the Begin method for the tile engine I removed a problem with "bleeding" when drawing scaled tiles from a tile set.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:06 AM

Oh hell yes! I love using the SpriteBatch. It's just so easy to display whatever you want.

Just in case anyone is interested in learning XNA, I recommend looking at Reimer's tutorials. They're wonderful!
http://www.riemers.net/

Also take a look at this question I asked on GameDev:
http://gamedev.stack...ame-programmers

Good luck Jamie, I'm sure this will be a great learning experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:43 PM

Well, you asked for screen shots. Here's a few of them. The first is the intro screen, the graphic was developed by a reader. There are also two screen shots of the tile engine. The first is at its regular zoom size and the second zoomed in a little.

About the tile engine. It allows zooming in and zooming out. It also has two scrolling modes to choose from. The one has the camera follow the player's character. The second is something you'd find in an RTS where the camera and sprite move independently.

*edit*
The screen shots would good to add.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

Looking good so far, Jamie. Mind if I ask where you got the character sprites? I'm looking forward to more screenshots when you get further in. I want to see some combat!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

I WANT TO PLAY!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:57 PM

There is a site in the resources/tools thread pinned in Game Programming that I got them off. If I recall it was a site that you could skin a base male or female sprite. The tiles I used I got from http://opengameart.org a site that offers free resources for open source games.

View PostAmrykid, on 16 December 2010 - 05:54 PM, said:

I WANT TO PLAY!!!

Hope to have something playable in the not too distant future. Right now working on adding classes for items and inventory.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

For the tutorials I'm going to focus more on creating an engine than a full game. I will be making an RPG using the engine though. Right now I'm adding in a couple editors to make creating content for the game easier. Speaking of which, I should probably get back to that. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:48 AM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 22 December 2010 - 10:17 AM, said:

For the tutorials I'm going to focus more on creating an engine than a full game. I will be making an RPG using the engine though. Right now I'm adding in a couple editors to make creating content for the game easier. Speaking of which, I should probably get back to that. :)

Any chance we can get out hands on the early build on Eyes of the Dragon? PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ!
:beta1:

This post has been edited by Amrykid: 22 December 2010 - 10:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

When one becomes available, sure I can do that when one becomes available. The tutorials and source are freely available on my site at http://xnagpa.net/xna4rpg.html. It is still in the early stages with a lot of work to do. When I get something playable I will post links.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

I started work on an editors for the game. Character classes are dynamic, read in at run time, as are items in the game. So, I used an MDI parent form and have forms for character classes, weapons, armor and shields. Since those forms have the same basic layout I have a master form that the others inherit from. There is then a form adding/editing character classes, weapons, and shields.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

I've been working on Eyes of the Dragon and things are progressing nicely. I've gotten started adding in loot for the player to pick up. I can create chests at design time and read them in at run time. The appear on the map and are drawn in the right place. I still have to implement the collision between player and chest. Chests can be locked and/or trapped. I'm also implementing something I liked about Fable 2 and Fable 3, requiring multiple keys to open up a chest, ie the silver keys. It is all still pretty Alpha, no where near Beta.

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

Ahh the infamous trapped chest. I hate when that happens. You think you are all golden to open the thing up and suddenly you are hit with something that hurts you. An arrow, a fireball, perhaps a level 10 wraith springs up and kicks you in the nuts... the trapped chest and I go way back. Glad to see that virus of a game feature is living well!

Looks great six, the assimilation is going according to plan. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

Looks like it's progressing nicely for someone with limited time like you have. Good to see that you at least get a little bit of time to work on it. Now if only I could find more time to do some more work on the RPG that I was working on for a couple weeks. Finding free time is probably the hardest part of doing it all yourself.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 05 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +