5 Replies - 2054 Views - Last Post: 29 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Where could/should new coders/programmers get involved?

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:28 PM

I, for one, can not find a well-rounded community that is helps get programmers/coders involved. I am a new C# programmer (allow me to emphasize the "new" word; I've only been programming in it for about two weeks.). I would like to find an online community in which they allow sample projects to build, or possibly offer a service that will allow you to "create" a project and upload it to their server, and then possibly find other members wanting to contribute to that project. Can anyone help me find a place where I, and any other new programmers/coders, could get involved in the world that is programming? And no, I'm not talking about freelancing, as that would be for work. Since me, and others, are new programmers/coders, we should go out and do actual work for pay yet. I just want a place to get more experience and practice. If you have any suggestions, please post! (I couldn't find one to save my life.)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where could/should new coders/programmers get involved?

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where could/should new coders/programmers get involved?

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

This would be better off in the Corner Cubicle than in the Lounge. I'm going to move this there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:20 PM

Okay, thanks. And sorry for putting this in the wrong place.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:49 PM

For brand new I would suggest more academic projects such as solving problems from ProjectEuler, doing problems out of a textbook, or what's been best for me is my textbook has a cumulative project that grows in each chapter.

The problem is, with our limited knowledge and skills, the things we are able to contribute are basic and things experienced programmers knock out without even thinking. It would probably take longer for an experience programmer to explain what we CAN do to help on a large scale project than for them to just do it themselves.

I suggest checking out SourceForge to at least review examples of code and see how people get involved.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:59 PM

I've always found a nice solid grounding in logic in line with learning a programming language is the very best way to be a good programmer. Many new programmers have little idea of logic, which causes them to post relatively simple problems asking for help on forums like this. Like math, a great foundation in every area programming theory is of great importance in order to progress well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

You can visit http://www.reddit.com/r/coderaid

We are always looking for newbies to work on documentation and other things. Experience is experience and you will learn one of the hardest things a programmer can learn: How to dive into existing code bases.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1