1 Replies - 676 Views - Last Post: 04 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Furthering education for web programming: masters or certification?

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:48 AM

I'm have a career in web development and programming but there is still a lot I need/want to learn. I'm interested in going back to school but I'm not sure what would be more important - to for a master's degree or a certification. I'm having a hard time finding masters degree programs that have the curriculum that I want: php, javascript, flex, etc. However, there is a local community college that offers a certification and the classes are in line with the skills I need to improve. Also, I already have student loans from getting my bachelors and I work full time. The CC would let me fit in classes with my busy schedule and cost way less.

It seems as though in my line of work it matters more what you know than what degrees you have. Does anyone have any thoughts that could help me decide which path to go down?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Furthering education for web programming: masters or certification?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Furthering education for web programming: masters or certification?

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

If you were more interested in computer science and computer theory, a masters would be the way to go. However, for web development, you'll be better off going for the certifications instead, as certifications focus more on languages than on computing theory.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1