1 Replies - 741 Views - Last Post: 04 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

#1 Guest_swbluto*

Limited keyboard ability - what can I do?

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

Hello all - if there's a better place to post what is essentially job counselling, please let me know where. I'm now finishing a bachelors degree in Computer Science and I'm wondering what kind of future job prospects will be realistic. I have a repetitive strain injury which limits my ability to type for long periods of time but yet I excel at tackling complex computer science and mathematical problems. So I'm thinking that developing simple applications for businesses where most of the work is in developing the GUI and the associated logic and the problems aren't exactly complex and is more focused on typing a lot as opposed to problem solving probably would not be sustainable. But developing solutions to complex problems where more time is spent thinking and/or developing models versus typing would probably be more sustainable. Or, a job that involves a lot of clicking instead of typing would be ideal as I've solved mouse-control problems with my RSI.

Would you know what areas of software development rely more on problem solving instead of typing? I've heard from a prof that the average amount of code added to complex systems is something like 50 lines a day and I could easily tolerate that work-load, instead of the hundreds to thousands I would reasonably expect developing comparatively simple business apps. Maybe operating systems? Legacy banking systems? crytography? Networking? Maintaining old systems? Are there any associated fields to computing that would rely more on problem solving instead of typing buckets of text as is the case with pseudo data entry? Like maybe networking? Or... something else?

And if there's a particular field that I could get into during graduate school that would involves math and problem solving and ideally involves computer science solutions, I'm willing to explore those avenues. Is there any use for statisticians? Maybe some area related to finance?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Limited keyboard ability - what can I do?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Limited keyboard ability - what can I do?

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

*Moved to the Corner Cubicle*

I've heard from a prof that the average amount of code added to complex systems is something like 50 lines a day and I could easily tolerate that work-load, instead of the hundreds to thousands I would reasonably expect developing comparatively simple business apps

When I started my internship, I was writing probably 500-1000 lines of code per day until my API became reasonably developed, then the amount of code I wrote was less b/c my time was more focused on refactoring on certain days. I'd say your professor is way underestimating the workload.

Honestly, if you want a job problem solving all day, then academia is probably the best place. If you get into research, you can do more research and teaching than actual programming and typing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1