7 Replies - 4661 Views - Last Post: 04 December 2010 - 10:55 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help with learning how to make games

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:53 PM

Hello dreamincode community!

I have always wanted to make computer game,and i have been working in html,css, and php for a long time. I will not lie, I am less then average at php. But i have played in C++/c java(barely for android),python, and ruby.

As you can see i jump way to much. i have an uncle who is pretty talented at programming but he isn't the best at helping sometimes, and gets frustrated when i jump.

So theres my background, now i'd like to see if anyone has suggestions for me. the best program i could make in C++(main language) is like mathematical stuff. i did a program on something having to do with how much you owe on a house/car payment or something. So yes i am also not very taught in C++ but i always try and get engines like the torque engine or stuff like game maker or realm creator, and either can't install it properly or loose interest within the hour.

So my goal in C++ is to make a cool game either a RTS or a mmorpg. i really loves these 2 genres, and wanted to try to make one. i know that in the beginning games don't look very good but is there a way someone can help me with this?

I'd be willing to start with a halfway finished game, and learn slowly how to add features, or to do the same from scratch. Whenever i code i feel like i just forget syntax. and i feel like when i need to do a specific task i just have issues remembing what sytax would do something.

Thanks to all/every single reply good or bad.

just remember i had issues setting a switch/case function in php! >.<

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help with learning how to make games

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Help with learning how to make games

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:07 PM

A guy in my college program actually made a fairly impressive game using SDL...

I would suggest starting here: http://www.lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/

I personally have never touched it, but I would recommend getting a solid grip of object oriented programming and C++ structure and syntax before trying it out...

hope this helps...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

Thank you very much, i will check that out. im not sure exactly what it is. but i think it is graphics? +rep
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

Sorry for double post but i couldn't find an edit button.

So i can't even download sdl correctly, set it up whatever you want to call it. I will keep trying and ask my uncle but i might need help if someone can.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:37 PM

I would also check out the DIC Programming Tutorials Section, specifically the C++ Tutorials and the Game Programming Tutorials. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

View Postxo epic, on 05 December 2010 - 02:53 AM, said:

Hello dreamincode community!

I have always wanted to make computer game,and i have been working in html,css, and php for a long time. I will not lie, I am less then average at php. But i have played in C++/c java(barely for android),python, and ruby.

As you can see i jump way to much. i have an uncle who is pretty talented at programming but he isn't the best at helping sometimes, and gets frustrated when i jump.

So theres my background, now i'd like to see if anyone has suggestions for me. the best program i could make in C++(main language) is like mathematical stuff. i did a program on something having to do with how much you owe on a house/car payment or something. So yes i am also not very taught in C++ but i always try and get engines like the torque engine or stuff like game maker or realm creator, and either can't install it properly or loose interest within the hour.

So my goal in C++ is to make a cool game either a RTS or a mmorpg. i really loves these 2 genres, and wanted to try to make one. i know that in the beginning games don't look very good but is there a way someone can help me with this?

I'd be willing to start with a halfway finished game, and learn slowly how to add features, or to do the same from scratch. Whenever i code i feel like i just forget syntax. and i feel like when i need to do a specific task i just have issues remembing what sytax would do something.

Thanks to all/every single reply good or bad.

just remember i had issues setting a switch/case function in php! >.<

This isn't really how you learn to make games. Firstly you need to get a very good grasp of C++ if you intend to make them in that language, which I honestly wouldn't advise for you right now in making games with that language. I'm not saying that you're incapable of making games, just that I've seen many otherwise able programmers give up on the venture, so start by becoming very well versed in C++.

Secondly, the types of game that you wish to begin with are very difficult for one new to games programming. I would suggest that you start with very simple games that do not require an SDK like DirectX. Think along the lines of Tic-Tac-Toe or Sudoku, then when become familiar with game architecture then move onto a Pong clone and keep moving up from that. Read up on books on graphics, AI, audio, etc.

One thing - give yourself time and be patient with yourself. You will get stuck and learn from those lessons when you overcome them.

Good luck. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Villiage Idiom
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

If you have your heart set on C++, yes, make sure you have a very keen grasp on the language, and what it is capable of, because when you get into advanced programming topics like games.

For programming tutorials in C++ check out cprogramming.com

I'd start with non-graphical games (like tictactoe in a console) to start grasping the logic behind it.

A note should be made that most graphics libraries are written in C, so learning them is a little harder then memorizing classes and using intellisense.

So, if I were you, to sum it up, I'd do the following:
Learn C++ (Including things like classes, inheritance, polymorphism, hierarchies, etc)
Write console style applications and games until you are comfortable with the language.
Choose a graphics library (OpenGL, directX, whatever)
Learn the Graphics library (don't memorize methods, but have a clear idea of how things work (rendering etc.))
Model scenes and whatnot using the library or write simple apps with it until you are a little more comfortable with it
Start writing small scale 2D games (a GUI version of tictactoe, maybe using your console version's code as a backend)
Decide where to go from here:

You can either get into 3D, or stay in 2D, regardless, projects get larger, and more involved.
For 2D:
Learn how to map out games with UML diagrams to make creation of larger games easier
For 3D:
Learn how to manipulate Matricies
Learn the 3D part of your graphics library

Sprites, 3D Textures and Meshes are available online, or you can make them yourself using programs like
Paint.NET, Adobe Photoshop, Blender, 3DS, amoung others.

For Editors, you absolultely want something with intellisense. MSVS 2010 is great if you go with DirectX, Eclipse works fine for OpenGL.

Creating games is great fun, but are very challenging, and require both creativity and logic. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to get into this stuff and have just given up. BUT don't let me set the example.

And don't let this post overwhelm you!
Start SMALL then move to LARGE. ALWAYS plan ahead. Know what you are doing and how you will approach it when you start, saves on frustration and rage quitting later on.

Looking forward to seeing your creations!

~Bodom
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:55 PM

execellent bodom!! i just setup SDL so i will retire for the night but i have already played with C++ i have made tic-tac-toe with a tutorial and understand it. so tomorrow i will start with learning classes and such.
thank you all for helping me out so far, i will continue to post here for a while i think so thank you again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1