Browser-Based Game

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

15 Replies - 45122 Views - Last Post: 20 April 2010 - 07:03 AM Rate Topic: -----

#1 tjarvesii  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 28-October 06

Browser-Based Game

Post icon  Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:38 AM

Hi! I'm new in programming.. So, can ANYBODY help me making a browser based game? I would like it about (not just the same) like this: www.gpro.se

Thanks,
Tanel
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Browser-Based Game

#2 KeyWiz  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

Reputation: 8
  • View blog
  • Posts: 439
  • Joined: 26-October 06

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:50 AM

You are setting your goals high for a beginner, but thats ok, we generally do not provide you with code that you have not authored yourself. You must design and build your own game. When you run into specific problems, we will help as best we can. But you do need to post some kind of code so we know how to help you.
If you are using an HTML editor, you can view the HTML code of www.gpro.se and see how the page was built, but there are codings that will not show on the page, Server side programming code will be unavailable to you this way. You are probably looking at a year or two of work to make a game as complex as that one. Maybe longer if you are just starting to learn.

:magic:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 tjarvesii  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 28-October 06

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:24 AM

View PostKeyWiz, on 2 Nov, 2006 - 08:50 AM, said:

You are setting your goals high for a beginner, but thats ok, we generally do not provide you with code that you have not authored yourself. You must design and build your own game. When you run into specific problems, we will help as best we can. But you do need to post some kind of code so we know how to help you.
If you are using an HTML editor, you can view the HTML code of www.gpro.se and see how the page was built, but there are codings that will not show on the page, Server side programming code will be unavailable to you this way. You are probably looking at a year or two of work to make a game as complex as that one. Maybe longer if you are just starting to learn.

:magic:


ok.. actually, I'm a REAL newbie.. :( so, could anyone help me with this one? like a uhm.. how to say.. well you would be my teacher (not referring to KeyWiz) and I would be your student.. only problem is, that everybody wants something back, too... and I don't know, what to offer.. anyway, if anybody is willing to help me, please contact me.. my msn messenger is tjarvesoo@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Tanel

This post has been edited by tjarvesii: 02 November 2006 - 09:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 tjarvesii  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 28-October 06

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:59 AM

View Posttjarvesii, on 2 Nov, 2006 - 09:24 AM, said:

View PostKeyWiz, on 2 Nov, 2006 - 08:50 AM, said:

You are setting your goals high for a beginner, but thats ok, we generally do not provide you with code that you have not authored yourself. You must design and build your own game. When you run into specific problems, we will help as best we can. But you do need to post some kind of code so we know how to help you.
If you are using an HTML editor, you can view the HTML code of www.gpro.se and see how the page was built, but there are codings that will not show on the page, Server side programming code will be unavailable to you this way. You are probably looking at a year or two of work to make a game as complex as that one. Maybe longer if you are just starting to learn.

:magic:


ok.. actually, I'm a REAL newbie.. :( so, could anyone help me with this one? like a uhm.. how to say.. well you would be my teacher (not referring to KeyWiz) and I would be your student.. only problem is, that everybody wants something back, too... and I don't know, what to offer.. anyway, if anybody is willing to help me, please contact me.. my msn messenger is tjarvesoo@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Tanel



sorry for double post, but if anyone is willing to help me, but not for free, then tell me what you want :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Thorian  Icon User is offline

  • Pirate Medic
  • member icon

Reputation: 22
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5,904
  • Joined: 06-June 02

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:10 PM

Hmm off to game programming this goes

it will probally get better hits there.

I would suggest java or another os independand language though. But im just the hardware guy
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 okyup  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 207
  • Joined: 06-November 06

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

No way you will ever do it jumping in like that. Start small. After a year or two of learning a language you might be able to take on a large scale project like that. :crazy:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 kronos  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: 13-November 06

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:47 AM

i agree

what i think you sould do is read up on html,css and javascript and php

have a good overall understanding of that chances are that project could be done but it would take much too long

firstly map out ur overall design of the website using html

then add some stylesheets

and then use javascript for the maths commands

i cant recommend anything in php cos ive never used it

www.w3schools.com

very good site for web help for complete beginnners

hope that helped
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 y0da  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 62
  • Joined: 08-November 06

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:18 AM

Don't try to create a game that someone has already created, do something original...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 NuclearWinterVB  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 01-December 06

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:46 AM

good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 m2s87  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

Reputation: 21
  • View blog
  • Posts: 390
  • Joined: 28-November 06

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:23 AM

Hire a professional to do the job. And you would have fully working example for yourself what you could use for the ground to others. :blink:

On ka teisi võimalusi kuid see on vast kõige lihtsam :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 Shinilolz  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 8
  • View blog
  • Posts: 238
  • Joined: 30-November 06

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:21 AM

Go to your local bookstore and purchace a couple of Books on Java,PHP or another Language you may feel comphertable with. Attempting to program a Game as your First project is not a Suggested path due to the fact, you are a complete 'Newbie' as you stated. Try tutorials found in books and mini projects also found in them. Maybe go to your local college and Find a Course on Programming, (Even if you are still in Highschool Local College's Normally have Courses for the Upcomming Winter Break). If that does not work, you can always try reading the tutorials that are on this and other sites(refer to the resources page).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Spikinator  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 29-April 08

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:04 PM

i am makin a browser based game and was wonderin if 2 ppl were interetsed in helpin me- i need 1 2 do the programmin etc and 1 to do the graphic packages etc i woldnt do nothin id do the full plan of wat its about, im plannin on makin it similar 2 the game tribal wars so pretty much that but with my own ideas any1 interested
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 GreenCamper  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 12-April 08

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:24 AM

View PostSpikinator, on 3 May, 2008 - 12:04 PM, said:

i am makin a browser based game and was wonderin if 2 ppl were interetsed in helpin me- i need 1 2 do the programmin etc and 1 to do the graphic packages etc i woldnt do nothin id do the full plan of wat its about, im plannin on makin it similar 2 the game tribal wars so pretty much that but with my own ideas any1 interested

How about a futuristic version of that game that is played over a period of months.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 JasonMcAuley  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 4
  • View blog
  • Posts: 144
  • Joined: 10-April 08

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:52 AM

Start with learning Basic HTML and PHP. Start tutorials and read books. Seems like you're taking on a much bigger project then what your current abilities will allow. Start from the basics and work your way up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 2457  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: 09-April 08

Re: Browser-Based Game

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:16 AM

to do it, simular to tribalwars, You at least need a VPS, or a home dedicated server.

Will cost a lot.
I'm faceing the same thing, as I'm makeing something like that too.
For now, the skeleton is complete, and the concept of the database allso.

I'm coding now the main menu frame, and the smaller menu items,
soon a working concept of the menu system will be online, since I have means to make it online.

But I tell You, its a hard thing. I started as newcomer too.
And made a lot of errors, not much i made but that small piece was rewritten by now at least 10 times. Competly from scratch.

For now I only make PHP scripts, and html.
And offcourse some mysql.

Java and eyecandy, and graphics are waiting and waiting...
I can do them way after the skeleton is a running engine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2