6 Replies - 1644 Views - Last Post: 08 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Any Ideas About an Intranet Solution

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

Hi Guys,

The company I work for is in need of a new INTRAnet solution and I have been given the task of looking for some contenders. So I thought "Heck, why not ask some of the people on DIC if they know of any they work with?"

Anyone here have a great Intranet solution they use at their place of work that you want to tell me, and the DIC community, about? I have seen a few but would like to crowdsource some ideas here and see if we can come up with a great list that I can check out. Let's not consider price at the moment. If you had to put one in for the company you work for, who would it be?

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Any Ideas About an Intranet Solution

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Any Ideas About an Intranet Solution

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:49 AM

You talking like sharepoint type stuff, or something else?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

I am talking about CMS type of stuff. An intranet platform for sharing documents, images, creating groups, contact book, social media etc. Sharepoint would be one of these types of platforms. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

We are using SiteFinity for our Intranet portal system. it works great and is very extensible. I would also HIGHLY recommend you stay away from anything with the word Ektron attached to it. We attempted to use that at first but there code was so horribly written that it was near impossible to integrate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

We've recently implemented a solution from ThoughtFarmer at my office...actual launch date mid month, but it does seem quite versatile (I have been involved with the beta). It had traditional CMS elements, as well as some social media integration...perhaps it might be worth a look?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

Thank you for the responses guys. I have also been looking at ThoughtFarmer, so anything you can tell me about it would be great Amadeus. It really has to be something fun to use as well as functionally sound. If it isn't fun, the people in our office will not participate much.

Thanks for telling me about SiteFinity rgfirefly. I had not run across it and it looks like it might be good. But it is funny you mention Ektron because someone I know had went with an Ektron system and they hated it as well.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

How big is the company that you work for? My company implemented SharePoint 2007 a few years ago and we are going to implement 2010 next year (mostly for the tight integration with office products and our use of Active Directory). Have you come up with a list of requirements?

You need to check out Microsoft's Web Platform Installer 2.0. It has quite a few free CMS product to evaluate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1