15 Replies - 18715 Views - Last Post: 03 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Get to know your forum leaders!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

Kilorn
AKA Justin Birdsong

I'm currently 27 years old and I've been programming on and off for probably around 8 years. I hadn't began programming on a regular basis until a few years ago when I was introduced to XNA and pretty much immediately fell in love with the XNA framework. I live in the Metro Atlanta area, read suburbs, and have since around 2002 when I moved here to work as an electrician for my father's company. After doing that full time for 8 years, until 2010 for the mathematically impaired, work had become too sporadic and I needed to move on to something else. During the time I was an electrician, I had received a Bachelor's degree in Game Design and began scouring the net for programming job opportunities in C# near the Atlanta area. After several months of having no luck, I decided to attend a local Georgia Game Developer's Association meeting where I met up with a former instructor of mine and a few weeks later, I had a job. It's not a programming position, but it allows me to work for a game company which does offer promotions from time to time, so it's just a matter of time before I find myself sitting at a dark cubicle with soars on my fingers from writing code all day every day, and I can't wait for that day.

Well, that's pretty much it about me, I'm a fairly boring guy who doesn't really have a life outside his job and his wife, no kids. If any of you want to know anything else about me, feel free to ask and let's keep the XNA community growing!

Shadowsedge19
AKA Adam Compton

I'm currently 24 years old and I've been programming on and off for probably around 6 years. I first got introduced into programming when I attended my local college (in Witney, Oxfordshire) after a failed 1st Year of A-Levels, I immediately fell in love with it, especially since it was the only kind of language that I could understand (I was terrible at French and German classes). I then improved my skills with computers in general and studied Computer Science Bsc at Oxford Brookes University. I started to learn XNA during my free time of my first year at university and used it in my final year project to produce my Over The Top card game. During that time I found this great forum to call my e-home.

I have since now graduated and I have recently started working for a company near Newbury, Berkshire called ADP Dealer Services where I am a Junior Analyst Programmer for their core support team. They use KCML which they have done so since the original part of the company I am working in started up in the 80's and were since bought by ADP in the 90's. They provide car dealerships with automated systems that handle all aspects of the car industry, they have offices all over the world and have probably cornered about 80% of the UK dealership market.

Other than that I like to play lots of games on the Xbox 360, read Fantasy novels and watch lots of films and TV shows. Well that's about everything I think, feel free to ask about anything else!

SixOfEleven
AKA Jamie McMahon

At the time of this posting I'm 42. I'm an IT professional who programs games with XNA as a hobby and is working on a title for Windows and the Xbox 360. I've also been studying web programming to make online games as well.

I've been working with computers since I was 10 when my brother brought one home from school that hooked up to the TV, a TSR-80 color computer. I played a few of the games that he had and absolutely loved the text based adventure game. That sparked my interest in computers and game programming. I learned how to write simple games for that computer and others over the years. The interest in games continued all through my schooling where I studied math and computer science. I kept making games in my spare time in many different languages including Pascal, C, BASIC, Visual Basic and C++. When I discovered C# I fell in love with the language and it is the main language that I work with now. It is just beautiful language and a joy to work with. I started with XNA when 2.0 was released and I instantly fell in love. I've worked on many games over the years and have written many tutorials on game programming with XNA, including tutorials on creating role playing games.

BBeck

There's probably more than you want to know about me written on my profile. But I figured I should probably post something here. So, I'll keep it short.

I've been programming games since I was 12, but its always been an on and off thing for me. So, I'm not even a fraction as good as that makes me sound. I am, however, a Sr. SQL Server DBA and have been working in IT for many years; I've programmed professionally on occasion but mostly for projects that are not directly related to my job. I've done many different languages over the years including C++, C#, and Assembler.

I have a really broad range of interests, and a pretty good science background, and that tends to pay dividends in 3D game programming.

I started a website VirtuallyProgramming.com a little over a year ago (actually it was XNA3D101.com back when I started it, but with XNA on the demise I'm refactoring it). And I just generally want to get as many people into doing 3D game programming as possible. I tend to put a lot of time, effort, and money into that goal. I suppose the biggest benefit to me is that helping others with game programming keeps me motivated to keep learning myself; that, and just hoping that what I do will somehow in the future be "good karma" that makes the video game industry better is primarily why I do it.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 18 September 2013 - 12:58 PM
Reason for edit:: Added SixOfEleven's bio

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Get to know your forum leaders!

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Get to know your forum leaders!

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

Congratulations on being made forum leader! You've certainly helped out a lot in this forum, it is very well deserved!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

Congrats mate,I know you've helped me a few times already, and you too Six.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:58 PM

Thanks to the both of you. Speaking of which, how's the card game coming, ShadowsEdge19?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:23 AM

View PostKilorn, on 07 December 2010 - 05:58 PM, said:

Thanks to the both of you. Speaking of which, how's the card game coming, ShadowsEdge19?

The main game is all there but there are a lot of gameplay bugs now that I've got it to restart another game after the other but with the player scores carried over. Then there are the issues with the hand evaluator that don't read every hand correctly, just most of them, it'd be a lot easier without any wild cards but they are essential to the game. Once that is done I need to write up a lot of documentation which will be a lot of fun. :fuck-8:

My next game idea doesn't have a deadline however so I can take as much time as I want on it. It'll be done in 2 parts, first a level editor and then the main game. I plan on creating the levels for the main game using the editor so I won't have to write them all up in code inside the main game itself. I'll try and make it for the Xbox and PC using the GSM template. If this is too ambitious or not feasible please tell me before I start.

This post has been edited by ShadowsEdge19: 08 December 2010 - 04:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:34 AM

Wow, I've been inactive for a few months and didn't realize there was a forum leader badge. :)

Nice job Kilorn, well deserved. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

I got an interesting message form SixOfEleven this morning regarding a new opportunity for me to become another XNA Forum Leader alongside Kilorn :w00t:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

w00t!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:45 PM

Trying to get it set up ShadowsEdge19. I think you'd be great for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

That's awesome! You've definitely earned it, ShadowsEdge19. You've done a great job taking up the slack around the XNA forums since Six and I have been a little less innactive lately due to lots of work going on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:17 AM

I am now officially a Forum Leader! My first act of business was to rename this topic to show that there are now more than 1 Forum Leaders here :).

So here is my bio:

Shadowsedge19
AKA Adam Compton

I'm currently 24 years old and I've been programming on and off for probably around 6 years. I first got introduced into programming when I attended my local college (in Witney, Oxfordshire) after a failed 1st Year of A-Levels, I immediately fell in love with it, especially since it was the only kind of language that I could understand (I was terrible at French and German classes). I then improved my skills with computers in general and studied Computer Science Bsc at Oxford Brookes University. I started to learn XNA during my free time of my first year at university and used it in my final year project to produce my Over The Top card game. During that time I found this great forum to call my e-home.

I have since now graduated and I have recently started working for a company near Newbury, Berkshire called ADP Dealer Services where I am a Junior Analyst Programmer for their core support team. They use KCML which they have done so since the original part of the company I am working in started up in the 80's and were since bought by ADP in the 90's. They provide car dealerships with automated systems that handle all aspects of the car industry, they have offices all over the world and have probably cornered about 80% of the UK dealership market.

Other than that I like to play lots of games on the Xbox 360, read Fantasy novels and watch lots of films and TV shows. Well that's about everything I think, feel free to ask about anything else!
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

Welcome aboard, ShadowsEdge19!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:15 PM

Congrats on the enhancement - now where are your plethora of tutorials?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

Happy to see that you made it finally ShadowsEdge19. Congratz on the promotion. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

Congrats...

Now get to work! *cracks whip*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +