5 Replies - 5511 Views - Last Post: 24 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Get To Know Your Forum Leaders

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

This is a thread to get to know your the forum leaders(as it said). Each forum leader will post his/her username and a small "about me" text.

ishkabible

im a 17 year old high schooler who has a passion for logic. my love of logic begin with chess in 8th grade (i was 13). i had known how to play chess sense i played the DOS battle chess but i was oblivious to the logic involved in winning a game. a preacher from my school (whom i became good friends with, it was a baptist boarding school) started a chess club. normally i wouldn't considered such i thing but i had some interesting conversations with him in passing and he mentioned it so i though i would try it. much to my surprise i loved it and became enthralled with it. i read books galore, replaying famous games to try and understand the logic, everything. i felt i had a real knack for it, so i decided to try my luck in a competition(now summer between 8th and 9th gade). i found out that there where 10 year old's far better than me that had been playing much longer and where going all over the states (and even world) to play chess. the utter defeat i experienced humbled and discouraged me. i kept at it but never with the same enthusiasm.

seeking other outlets that exercised this relatively new concept of logic being made to solve problems i was not thought to solve(e.g. math class) i decided i was going to make a full fledged video game with no former knowledge of programing. my search in how to do this led me to learning c++ as it was the only thing i was aware of. after being humbled again by the complexity of making a video game(i still didn't realize how big a task it was) i settled for learning c++ via console apps (as all beginners). i found that console apps where more than enough of a challenge to fill my need for logic. after a year or so of programing i was almost certain i wanted to major in computer science and that i had found my 'nich' in life so to speak.

Im fascinated with all things all things related to compiler dev. I have made countless attempts at small languages both scripted and compiled and other than a few near assembly like languages and a small language that worked similarly to c but only handled unsigned integers, including pointers, i don't have much to show for it :(. i also enjoy making games (mostly 2D) now that i have the ability to make them. I recently started using love2d, a 2D game engine that uses Lua, and really like it. i love playing games as much as making , sometimes more if im frustrated, so ive put almost all the money ive come across into my desktop. i might enjoy finding good deals on GPU's and procs more thrilling than playing the game there used for.

My main language is C+, with a side order Lua , it was my first languge and after learning several others i always come back to it. I enjoy learning new languages but i seldom take the time to learn each one extensively. Other hobbies include reading XKCD, smack talking with my friends, arguing for the sake of arguing, doodling in class, watching movies, and of course visiting DIC. i consider my self a nerd and am happy to help anyone with anything i can :)

nathanpc - Nathan Campos

Let me start this by letting everyone here knows that I'm not good making texts and that my english isn't very good. Anyway, let's start it.

My first contact with computers was when I was just 3 years old. My father had an old MS-DOS computer at home. So I've usualy played some stuff that he installed for me. After some time when I was 4, almost 5, my father bought a Windows 95 computer and some games for me too. I've started not to play a lot, but to explore the computer. In that time internet was too much expensive to have at home, so my father old had it at his work.

My mother saw that I prefered to explore the computer than playing games. So my father started to teach me the basics, like how to write stuff(notepad, word and the office suite), how to install things, configure and other kind of things like that. With this helps, when I was 5 I already knew how to change the password of the computer, and how to do a lot of things on Windows.

My parents saw that I had the ability, interest and liked a lot to make things on the computers area, so I grew up having a lot of help from my parents. Know that my parents didn't worked with computers, they were CEOs of a security company, that they gaved to me. Now I'm the CEO of it and it's the biggest one here on my estate.

When I was 7 I've started learning some BASIC using some tutorials that I got on the internet. I've created some simple applications like time apps, calendar and file I/O. I don't know why, but I never got interest on developing games. Even today I won't develop games. I like developing applications too much.

I remember that when I was 10 I've bought a lot of books. Some about Assembly and a lot of C/C++, Ruby and this kind of books, I think that on total there were 9 books(I already have them all here). This was my starting point, I've started with some C++, then got into C, some after I've started in many languages at the same time, some Java after this all and finally I met my language! The one that I love so much! The great Assembly. I've already started trying to make an OS in 8086 Assembly, then I saw that I need to start with Windows and platform-based stuff. I bought 3 books of 8086 Assembler, one that used emu8086 to learn the basics, then a MASM one to learn about platform-based. After this all I've started a NASM book, to learn about platform-independent things(the basic to make an OS in Assembly).

After this journey I saw that Assembly was my best language, from that time until now, I've been learning as most Assembly languages as possible. And now at 21, almost 22(at will be on Jan 1st of 2011), all this study and passion for Assembly turned into this Forum Leader title. With proud I will love to help you and help the community on this section.

Talking about personal things, I don't like to say what I dislike, so let's share only what I like: I love to watch movies, develop stuff, enjoy some games playing with my friends, my friends and family. I play drums, love to practice downhill, I like to shoot at targets(not on live ones, but one firing stands) and love some paintball too.

Nice to meet you. I'm nathanpc ;)

GunnerInc - Rob AKA Gunner
I have always been interested in how things work. Took apart my share of 8 track players and VCRs, got pissed when I couldn't put my ColecoVision back together. Wherever I was, whatever job I had, I always tinkered with the computers around me.

One day a SYSOP of a BBS let me download a copy of his VB3, he taught me how to program simple things and I fell in love with it. I then went and bought VB4 then 5. Man, was it cool to "program" a computer to automate tasks! I then ran into a few issues.
1. Back then, we didn't have cool USB sticks or DVD's to save big files to.
2. It took forever to upload/download big files on a 2,400 baud modem.
3. OS's didn't ship with runtimes for languages so you had to ship them also.

Somehow, someway I was told Assembly could fix those issues. Assembly was not popular when I started, so there wasn't tons of tutorials or forums like today. Still, I looked into it. I gotten aggravated and discouraged many times in the beginning, even "quit" using it, but something kept pulling me back to it. I think it was the simplicity and clean syntax if the language (along with the size among other things) I started when 32 bit was coming around, so I missed the 16 bit stuff.

My main dialect is MASM, but once you know one x86 Assembler, it is just a matter of a different dialect to use another.

I am a carpenter by day, and because of that I get asked why I never gotten a job using Assembler. Simple, I made stupid mistakes and decisions 20 years ago. Do I consider myself a professional? Yes, as I do write programs and make money from them.

Can I teach you Assembly? You bet! You have to have the heart and dedication though. Don't be afraid to ask questions, the only dumb question is the one NOT asked! Write some code, and when you are stuck we can and will help!

Assembly has taught me the inner workings of computers better, how the cache works, unrolling loops, memory, all that interesting stuff the HLL's hide from you.

Gunner? Yes, I was a Machine Gunner in the Marine Corps :-)

Think that is all for now. Nice to meet you ;)

This post has been edited by GunnerInc: 31 January 2012 - 05:02 PM
Reason for edit:: Tis I, Gunner adding myself to the list.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Get To Know Your Forum Leaders

• SCIENCE!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Get To Know Your Forum Leaders

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:41 PM

Don't be afraid guys. Post your comments and discuss this a bit :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

Hi again Nathan! Did you ever have a chance to write assembler for an IBM mainframe? It's a beautiful feeling :)

The only microprocessor assembler I ever coded for was the 6502. I think it's too hard to learn x86 now...I have too many other projects.

This post has been edited by Blueline: 21 December 2010 - 11:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• SCIENCE!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Yeah, x86 is very difficult compared to 6502. On x86 you have many registers and a lot of things to carry about. At 6502 it's very simple and smart :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:15 AM

I like simple things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• SCIENCE!