Should i learn HTML before PHP/ASP?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 10048 Views - Last Post: 13 December 2010 - 05:19 AM

#1 Guest_iScotts*

Should i learn HTML before PHP/ASP?

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:25 AM

Im trying to learn web development, i had recently completed my java course now i want to use that knowledge on web development using c#/asp or php.
now i just want to know is it necessary for me to learn HTML BEFORE asp etc,Or can i learn it later?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Should i learn HTML before PHP/ASP?

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Should i learn HTML before PHP/ASP?

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:28 AM

I would say yes. Those web scripting languages will be used to generate markup anyway so it's best to know how to write markup if you're going to write scripts to do that. CSS is important too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Guest_sylow*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:35 AM

Oh ok thanks for the quick reply. Another Q im learning from
http://www.w3schools.com
and it seems a bit to easy is this a good place to learn from?
Shouldnt it be a bit more confusing( i dont know why im complaining lol).
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:55 AM

Hi sylow,

HTML is comparatively simple and generally a lot quicker pretty quick to learn. Mainly because in itself it is not hugely versatile in terms of the breadth of things you can do, hence people often also using CSS and Javascript in conjunction. If you are finding it easy, I would take that as a good thing :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:40 PM

W3Schools gives a good outline of things but it's like someone holding your hand and leading you step by step. The devil is in the details, though, and further experimenting and reading is required.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

I would learn HTML and CSS before PHP. You really can't implement PHP unless you're using HTML to make up the webpage. Then You got CSS to style the HTML or PHP document.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

Asking whether you should learn HTML before any serverside language is asking if you should learn to sprint before you even really know how to walk. HTML and CSS lay the groundwork for serverside web languages like PHP, ASP, and etc.

W3schools is probably one of if not the best beginners resource for this type of thing. You need to make sure to learn CSS as well. Look into Javascript after you finish with CSS.

HTML is, by nature, easy to learn. If you're having an extremely difficult time learning HTML it may be time to reconsider the web, and that's not necessarily pointed at you. If it's easy to you that's a good thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:10 AM

I would say that you should not only learn php first, but when learning php you should try to forget everything you know about html with the exception of <br />. The php problems we see most often here are the result of mixing the two languages. You wouldn't expect to read text written in English with random sentences in French or Spanish, but for some reason lots of people think it's fine to do that with php and html!

Start by treating php output as if it were going to a line printer. Then when you're confident with php you can start thinking about how to use html with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

I would definitely learn some HTML before you tackle ASP. It gives you the basic understanding and form of how a website feels. Once you have a basic understanding of HTML (it is really simple, its basically like typing a word document) you should have no problems. When you get into ASP, look at www.asp.net, they have some great tutorials and I continue to learn new stuff everyday from them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

Definitely HTML before PHP, no doubt. I would also strongly recommend learning HTML and CSS at the SAME time.

If you learn HTML first, you will learn things like bgcolour and <align> amoung other styling. All styling should be done in CSS so learn it asap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

I disagree. HTML is not a programming language. It has no loops, conditionals, objects, and even things like indenting have very little meaning in HTML. Learning it first and trying to add a programming/scripting language like PHP is a great way to guarantee problems. Just look at who has the most trouble in the PHP forum. You don't see many people with programming backgrounds asking questions. When they do it's usually very specific and all they need is a small amount of information and they're on their way. People with graphic design/HTML backgrounds on the other hand often need the most help. That's because the two require different and sometimes conflicting thought processes, and why I suggest you learn them separately and most importantly that you only combine them when you're comfortable with programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

HTML is the description for what your program output will look like. The extent to which you need to control that display is how much HTML you need.

ASP.NET will shield you for a lot of the details. To some degree you can get away with knowing very little HTML in this environment.

PHP is more hands on for the final rendering. Even with a template engine, you still have to know what you're doing.

However, if you just want to write code and produce simple output...
<html>
   <p>Always put lines of text between a "p" tag with closing tag.</p>
   <p>This is another line.</p>
   <p>The HTML document will now end...</p>
</html>

There, now you know enough HTML to get started. Go off and do damage. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

I never said it was a language, I mean it's right there in its name: HyperText Markup Language. It's a markup language, but not programming, just the same as quotes are used to denote sections of writing.

What I'm saying is to know HTML and know it well because the structure of the page is based entirely on that and CSS making it impractical to learn how to really use PHP with things such as table outputs and other useful bits.

HTML takes a matter of a week to learn at max, if it takes you much longer then that's the point where you should acknowledge that programming is way above your head. If you're unable to learn that and CSS then PHP is completely out of the question.

The problem you have CTphpnwb is that most of these people probably had a hard time learning HTML/CSS in the first place meaning they really have no business attempting an actual language. Either way you go about it you'll need to know both at some point in the cycle.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

w3 is a great website to START learning. It will teach you the basics. And from there you can expand by basically screwing around with things. In my opinion, the best way to learn HTML is to just mess around with it.

But definitly learn HTML first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

View PostLemur, on 11 December 2010 - 05:24 PM, said:

The problem you have CTphpnwb is that most of these people probably had a hard time learning HTML/CSS in the first place meaning they really have no business attempting an actual language. Either way you go about it you'll need to know both at some point in the cycle.

Unfortunately, this is a very accurate description of many web developers.

It's also true that you'll need to know both at some point, but the question is about when you need to know them. My experience has been that those who approach PHP from HTML have a difficult time of it because they need to unlearn HTML to understand PHP. The reverse is not true, since a good PHP programmer can write large quantities of valid PHP without using any HTML at all, and can write HTML without any significant problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +