how i can master the programming

• (3 Pages)
  • +

32 Replies - 10193 Views - Last Post: 16 December 2010 - 06:43 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: how i can master the programming

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:54 AM

View PostMathiasVP, on 12 December 2010 - 09:24 AM, said:

Google has every answer you could possibly ask in your quest for mastering the programming language that is C++!

No i don't agree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:05 AM

I'm also still a noob on c++ but I'm learning and I think the best way to learn is take someones else's code and start reading it (see how they do it).
that way I've already mastered javascript, python and basic.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:28 AM

POPULAR

Expanding on thogamer's comment, make sure you choose GOOD code. As a rule, don't believe that some random code off an Internet forum is necessarily good code. If you choose code from a forum such as this, make sure the code has been written by someone with an established track record (significant posting history and reputation). Look into some of the more well-known open source projects out there. EDIT: Note to newcomer professionals, that's not meant to be a slam against you, but certainly code written by an established member has a higher likelihood of being better code than that dumped here by some of the "give me the codes" people.

Also, get to know the tools you will be using in your development career. Nothing helps more than learning how to use a debugger to step through code and evaluate what's happening at each step of the program. Plus, when your program crashes, you will know how to go right to the problematic code, check the contents of memory and discover a fix.

This post has been edited by JackOfAllTrades: 13 December 2010 - 05:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:41 AM

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 12 December 2010 - 10:43 AM, said:

MathiasVP, your Google suggestion is perfect, but I had to dock you for the book recommedation. Never recommend or read any book which purports to be able to teach you any language in any specific time period (as eludicated below by Core).

A List of C++ and Reviews of Said Books.

My apologies for the way I answered in my first post, I was merely trying to direct OP to the more reasonable of leaning the language before "mastering" it. And I found this book to be have an easy-to-go approach to most C++ subjects, which is why I pointed him to that one.
But I agree that saying that it's possible to "master" (or even learn) C++ in 21 days by reading 1 single book is ridiculous and hilarious.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:32 AM

This thread is amazing. Reps for EVERYONE! *reps*
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 13 December 2010 - 06:32 AM, said:

This thread is amazing. Reps for EVERYONE! *reps*

Not amazing for me as i got a few - reps. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

What I do is go on YouTube and look up tutorials. I create programs, I mess up, then I learn from my mistakes. I would suggest Ivor Hortons C++ book. They are very detailed. You can find them at wrox.com. Also remember Google is your friend :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

I'd just like to add that not one person can really master C++, there's just to much information, for example new third party library's being made all the time. In my opinion you can become experienced in C++ but not a full master.

P.S It might be false but i heard once that one person can only know %80 of C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

View PostAlex6788, on 13 December 2010 - 03:50 PM, said:

I'd just like to add that not one person can really master C++, there's just to much information, for example new third party library's being made all the time. In my opinion you can become experienced in C++ but not a full master.

P.S It might be false but i heard once that one person can only know %80 of C++.

You only know as much of a language depending on how much you really want to learn it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:01 AM

You reach a point where it's no longer how can the language do this for me, but what library can I use to do this for me.

I'm talking of course from the C#/Python perspective, I've never coded in C++ before. But I imagine it's no different.

Also, don't be clever when coding. If your code is clever to the point where none of your coworkers understands it, it's time to dumb it down. Readable code > clever code. Ask anyone who isn't in academia.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:46 AM

I think no one can master C++ 100%, you can master what you want to do with the language, and i think the key to move forward is to my make a goal to achieve, working hard, and learn from mistakes, i myself when started programming, i wanted to do a multiplayer game, or to turn a game into multiplayer, i achived 80% of my goal right now, but im still a noob comparing to others
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

Great advice guys.

My most recommended book is "Accelerated C++".

This post has been edited by DivideByZero: 14 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

View Postmistic, on 13 December 2010 - 04:54 AM, said:

View PostMathiasVP, on 12 December 2010 - 09:24 AM, said:

Google has every answer you could possibly ask in your quest for mastering the programming language that is C++!

No i don't agree.

Actually Google is probably a very good way to learn C++. How would you find many of the websites you know of without a search engine. Google, is a very high credited search engine that index thousands of pages. I'm pretty sure in the thousands of pages there is a lot of good information on any programming language.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:57 PM

POPULAR

Google is a good research tool but is is NOT a teacher.

Google is probably the single biggest detriment to software development today. Not that you can really blame Google, it is lazy copy/paste programmers, but Google is enabling them. At work I often have to tell Jr. Developers that just because you "Google it" and find some snippet of code does not mean you can just paste it in and have it work. Finding some random bit of code on the internet and pasting it blindly into your code does not make a good programming practice.

One needs a little formal structure in learning to program. You don't just need to learn how to use pointers, but you really need to understand what they are and how they work. This generally means playing with them, making hypothesizes and testing them in real code. Just Gooogling an example will not give you the knowledge that writing a test program by hand will.

The key to learning any skill (and programming is definitely a skill) is practice and Google lets people cheat themselves on that score. You don't learn how to paint by looking at picture and using a photocopier and you don't learn to program by Googling code and pasting it into your programs.

So while I agree that Google is a great research tool -- it is a HORRIBLE teacher.

There is a lot to be said for having to figure something out for yourself!
Was This Post Helpful? 11
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:06 PM

+eleventy billion to NickDMax!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -