3 Replies - 4457 Views - Last Post: 13 December 2010 - 05:47 AM Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_DecafJava*

Oracle TOAD 8i Exporting of Blob Fields

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:16 PM

I am using Oracle TOAD 8i and need to export the field values of a table to a file. I use the regular export to Excel feature and this works fine as expected and successfully transfers over all the column data to the file, except the fields whose datatype is BLOB appear as binary. What can I do so that when it exports, the BLOB values appear as regular, human-readable text that a non-programmer will be able to see??
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Oracle TOAD 8i Exporting of Blob Fields

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Oracle TOAD 8i Exporting of Blob Fields

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

Not really good practice to use the BLOB type. Better to store the spreadsheet as a file on the server, then store the path in the database. BLOBs aren't the easiest to work with, and can slow querying down significantly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Guest_DecafJava*

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:16 AM

Well that is how the company is doing it and unfortunately it wouldn't be my place to tell them the design sucks. What can I do assuming I must use blobs?
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:47 AM

View PostDecafJava, on 12 December 2010 - 11:16 PM, said:

datatype is BLOB appear as binary.

The datatype BLOB is binary; by definition. If you wanted giant text fields, it should be CLOB.

My version of TOAD ( 8.6 ) doesn't support an export to Excel, but I can do a Save As to it. If you can get text looking stuff in the data grid with your query and do a "save as" then you should be fine.

It's honestly a poor tool for that kind of job. It's good for a one off, but if it's something you have to do often, it's time to come up with something more automated. I'd write a macro in Excel to grab the data. Then you have complete control on formatting, etc.

Even better, a script to dump the data into an Excel file... You might want to look at the report writers available to you, if you're not the scripting type.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1