Who all has taken a degree online

• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 1806 Views - Last Post: 17 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Online Degrees

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

Hey I was just curious how many of you guys have taken a degree online from places such as deVry... I am curious because currently im takin a Computer Systems course in college and its kinda boring and im lookin into takin an online course for in my spare time...Thanks to who all can gimme input :D
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Online Degrees

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Online Degrees

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:48 PM

moved to the corner cubicle forum so that you can get some more comprehensive answers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:52 PM

With online schools you should really scrutinize their accreditation. In general terms, any science/engineering program which is ABET accredited should be somewhat decent. Take note, though, that ABET only ensures a minimum curriculum.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:38 AM

I am currently attending UMUC (University of Maryland University College) through their online program and have enjoyed it thus far. They are regionally accredited, so most of my General Ed. credits should transfer this coming spring. I am personally looking forward to attending college in person, but UMUC is a good online alternative.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:43 AM

"University of Maryland University College"

How much more redundant can a name get?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

Yea be sure you look into Accreditation before you decide where to go. I have no experience with Devry but University of Phoenix and American Intercontinental University I'd stay away from. I went to both of those and dropped out because I wasnt learning anything, plus with those when I went you had to start with an Associates, you couldnt go into a Bachelors.

This is my opinion of course I'm biased because I go here but Western Governors University is regionally and nationally accredited. Their curriculum is developed by SMEs from Google, Cisco, MS and other top companies. Plus with your tuition which is the same price I was paying for an Associates you can start right on your Bachelors. The College of IT includes between 7-9 IT certifications(varies from which emphasis you decide on) which is including with the price of tuition.

They also have a lot of meetings and webinars to help you with career info, student success, etc. It's pretty nice, I'm in my 2nd term now and have no complaints. You should look in to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

View PostJosephPappel, on 12 December 2010 - 11:44 PM, said:

Hey I was just curious how many of you guys have taken a degree online from places such as deVry... I am curious because currently im takin a Computer Systems course in college and its kinda boring and im lookin into takin an online course for in my spare time...Thanks to who all can gimme input :D

If you're bored, why not transfer to a good school?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:20 AM

I am really skeptical towards online degrees, especially when it comes to engineering programs. Sometimes doing online assignments is not enough - an experienced professor can be of big help, and after all college is also about socializing with peers with the same interests (or not really the same). Besides, I do believe that in some cases employers consider an actual degree > online degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 13 December 2010 - 07:43 AM, said:

"University of Maryland University College"

How much more redundant can a name get?

I thought so as well. Apparently, there is a method to the madness.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:27 PM

Quite a few established, brick and mortar schools now offer online courses leading to degrees. I'm kinda with Sethro on the University of Phoenix thing. When I learned that the only real prerequisite for enrolling was a pulse and a blood temperature above 80° I kinda acquired that askance look.

Nice thing about getting your degree with mostly online work from a "normal" school is that the degree and transcript don't say a word about how you did it from home on evenings and weekends.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

View PostCraig328, on 15 December 2010 - 09:27 PM, said:

Nice thing about getting your degree with mostly online work from a "normal" school is that the degree and transcript don't say a word about how you did it from home on evenings and weekends.

Nonetheless, I am pretty sure that the guys who will interview you for the job are familiar with the ways degrees are offered in certain schools. So if, for example, it states University of Phoenix, I would say that there will at least be an assumption that the degree was obtained online.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

View PostCore, on 15 December 2010 - 04:20 AM, said:

Besides, I do believe that in some cases employers consider an actual degree > online degree.

Yeah, because if you earn your degree online from an acredited school it is not an actual degree. i seriously cannot believe that in this day people think that other are inferior because they earned a degree online. We are tech people, we know that we can learn just as much online as we can in from listening to someone talk for a couple hours a night. I know a lot of people that post on here are self taught and they probably learned a lot by just searching online and practicing and reading books. You get out school what you put in to it rather it be a large class or an online class. Yeah anybody can get into most onlien schools but anybody can go to Commuity College too. I am just happy that there are better options for people that want to further their education and cannot for whatever reason go to a physical campus all the time. I got my job with a Degree from University of Phoenix and I am doing well. I did learn a ot in the school and had some great instructors. Of course, the intial classes were boring and seemed pointless but don't all the starting courses at any college. I would just say find a school that is right for you and do the research before deciding. All online programs are different just as all programs are different at any school. Do your research and make a choice, but don't count out an online program just because it is offered online.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

You sound like you got your degree online.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

@Craig328:

...I got my job with a Degree from University of Phoenix and I am doing well...

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -